PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help

lisa_marie
July 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
my son has installed all the latest updates on to his laptop, including the new version of ubuntu, since this installation nothing is working as it should. The deck top has changed and alot of it cannot be acessed, conecting to wireless is a nightmare. please can some one help i have no knowledge of ubuntu as i use windows

thank u

csabo2
July 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Lisa,
It sounds like an upgrade that went bad. The easiest solution is to reinstall Ubuntu from scratch. However if this is not an option we would need some more details on the issues such as:

-is the system able to boot to the desktop
-are device drivers working? (Video/sound/network..ect)
-are any applications behaving weirdly, if so which apps and how

lisa_marie
July 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
im not sure what you meen by boot to desktop, the icons are not apearing, he said his applications apear to be fine, when you go into network their is no option for wieless although it was there yesterday. When he was installing the updates his batery went and he started agin i dont know if this is what caused the proble. Is there not an option to resore like in windows. The lap he has got is a dell mini 9 and has no disc drive I wouldnt know where to start with re installing from scratch

lisa_marie
July 15th, 2009, 07:05 PM
please any help

csabo2
July 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
everything is fixable in linux. the problem is do you want to spend weeks doing it. you can check syslog and see if theres anything in there, I suppose you could try doing an upgrade and see if it fixes it.