PDA

View Full Version : re:buntu - linux that kills itself

binary.koala
July 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
haha - http://k0a1a.net/rebuntu

"re:buntu is an illustration of a system making decisions by itself and committing to self-maintenance. The system is continuously reloading a copy of itself within itself until the system memory runs out. When no free memory is left the system needs to decide which one of the copies of itself it shall kill in order to reproduce itself again, again and again..."

elliotn
July 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Wtf is that joke

liamnixon
July 15th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I wish I'd of thought of that.

The Toxic Mite
July 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Please mind my language, but WHAT THE F***?!?!?!

Pogeymanz
July 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe it isn't supposed to be useful, but rather show off some new concept of some sort. I haven't read the link yet, but this was my gut feeling.

fatality_uk
July 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Some background
http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer

It is the job of the linux 'oom killer' to sacrifice one or more processes in order to free up memory for the system when all else fails. It will also kill any process sharing the same mm_struct as the selected process, for obvious reasons. Any particular process leader may be immunized against the oom killer if the value of its /proc/<pid>/oomadj is set to the constant OOM_DISABLE (currently defined as -17).

For some numerous reasons the developers of Linux kernel decided to have something called "oom-kill" lurking around computer memory and deciding on its own when to crash User programs

On it's own? lol

The Toxic Mite
July 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM
:lol:

koleoptero
July 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Too much free time... :lolflag:

linuxguymarshall
July 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM
This is basically a protest against the OOM process.

Sand & Mercury
July 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
lol emobuntu.

vinutux
July 16th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Too much free time... :lolflag:

100 % agreed......................:popcorn:

binary.koala
August 6th, 2009, 03:32 AM
i made it to illustrate that the modern linux environment is not exactly 'user-centric', regardless how the interface develops. when your fresh ubuntu install is running with 'oom-killer' on by default - you can never be sure what is going to happen to your current program processes, unless you run as root. is that de "c'est la vie" concept of linux then?