PDA

View Full Version : shiki colors is so overrated

vaporblacking
July 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
why does everyone say how great this theme is?

swoll1980
July 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM

Because they like it. If you don't like it, that's your preference, and you are allowed to have it. I think Shiki Colors is great myself.

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Because it looks good, it's well maintained, and well documented. perfectska04 has been great at filling requests people have and constantly improving it. I make the scrollbars thiner and colored and change the tooltip bg color on it, but I think it's great after that.

If you don't like it, there's other themes available. Why does it matter anyway?

sertse
July 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Agreeing with what others have said.

Shiki Colours is also impressive for being a very good "generic/neutral" theme. It usually looks at least somewhat nice, regardless of what the rest of your desktop looks like. Many themes are more niche; they can look extremely brillant on a particular setup but completely mismatched on others.

Shiki Colours is a constant.

binbash
July 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I do not like it.

diwas
July 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Just checked on this, and guess what? ITS AWESOME.

Thank you OP for indirectly advertising it ;) haha

Simian Man
July 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Because it combines the slick looks of a darker theme with the usability of a lighter theme.

Post your favorite theme, and I will find it something ugly about it :).

diwas
July 15th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Because it combines the slick looks of a darker theme with the usability of a lighter theme.

Post your favorite theme, and I will find it something ugly about it :).
hahahhahhahha this one's funny, but true. LOL

JillSwift
July 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
HERETIC!!! BLASPHEMER!!!
Or, you know, not. Welcome to the world of subjective taste. =^_^=

FuturePilot
July 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Because it looks good, it's well maintained, and well documented. perfectska04 has been great at filling requests people have and constantly improving it.

+1

Anyways it's a personal preference. If you don't like you don't like it. No one is forcing anyone to use it. Personally I love it.

Giant Speck
July 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
It's not overrated; it's just popular. If you don't like it, then so be it. It isn't being crammed down your throat.

If you think you could do better than Shiki Colors then show us! :D

ghindo
July 15th, 2009, 04:35 PM
shiki colors is so overratedWell that's just like, your opinion man.

pelle.k
July 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah, perfectska04 deserves huge props for the work he's doing. Even though shiki-colors might not be for everyone, it's very well maintained, and not one of those half-baked themes some people release, to never update or bugfix them.
My personal favorite is the gnome-colors icon theme though. It's just so professional and complete. I hate icon themes that cover like 50%-75% of my application icons. gnome-colors cover 99% of my application icons, and the theme is so consistent it's scary. :D

bekind2thenoob
July 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
yeah, perfectska04 deserves huge props for the work he's doing. Even though shiki-colors might not be for everyone, it's very well maintained, and not one of those half-baked themes some people release, to never update or bugfix them.
My personal favorite is the gnome-colors icon theme though. It's just so professional and complete. I hate icon themes that cover like 50%-75% of my application icons. Gnome-colors cover 99% of my application icons, and the theme is so consistent it's scary. :d

+1

FuturePilot
July 15th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, perfectska04 deserves huge props for the work he's doing. Even though shiki-colors might not be for everyone, it's very well maintained, and not one of those half-baked themes some people release, to never update or bugfix them.
My personal favorite is the gnome-colors icon theme though. It's just so professional and complete. I hate icon themes that cover like 50%-75% of my application icons. gnome-colors cover 99% of my application icons, and the theme is so consistent it's scary. :D

+1

+2

gnome-colors is one of the most complete icon themes I've ever seen. I hate when I install an icon theme and it only changes like 10 icons. And gnome-colors matches so nicely with shiki colors.

JillSwift
July 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
+2

gnome-colors is one of the most complete icon themes I've ever seen. I hate when I install an icon theme and it only changes like 10 icons. And gnome-colors matches so nicely with shiki colors.

Polished and complete, and still seeing the touch of the rouge wheel.

PuddingKnife
July 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Well that's just like, your opinion man.

Thanks, I think I'll watch the Big Lebowski tonight. Its been a while.

Pogeymanz
July 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I actually didn't like shiki-colors very much either, until I figured out how to change the dark menubar/panel/menus to the nice gray color of the rest of the theme. Now I love it. It's the perfect shade of gray, as silly as that sounds.

RaZe42
July 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well to be fair, many(most?!) of the icons in Gnome-Colors come from Elementary(the theme on which G-C is based on)

I actually like the newly released Elementary 2.1 (has a wholly new style, like a mix of Meliae and the old Elementary(Gnome-Colors)) more than I like Gnome-Colors.

cmat
July 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
The only issue I have with it is that the maximise button doesn't change to indicate the state the window is in. It's irritating sometimes. Other than that the theme rocks.

init1
July 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Because they are trying to annoy you

keiichidono
July 15th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I love the theme, why does everyone have to hate on it? it's the best. :guitar:

chriskin
July 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
a slightly overrated theme but good anyway , even if though prefer one-color themes

perfectska04
July 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Well to be fair, many(most?!) of the icons in Gnome-Colors come from Elementary(the theme on which G-C is based on)

I actually like the newly released Elementary 2.1 (has a wholly new style, like a mix of Meliae and the old Elementary(Gnome-Colors)) more than I like Gnome-Colors.

Only about 10-15 icons out of the 400+ included icons are based on Elementary sources. Even then, most of those were redone in all sizes, as Elementary only had large sizes back then when the project started. I won't deny that Elementary was and is a big influence, or fail to credit them appropriately - but it's unfair to say that most of the gnome-colors icons are Elementary's, when they're almost all based or modified from GNOME and Tango, with various other contributors and GPL artists.

Either way, both projects are GPL and developed only in the hopes that they will be useful to some. The point is that the community can make Linux look good even if "good" is a subjective term, so having different styles, goals and taste can only improve variety and overall quality. Don't like something? Make it better. Make it free.

Tipped OuT
July 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I personally think it's overrated too. Like Megan Fox. :p

mobilediesel
July 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Just checked on this, and guess what? ITS AWESOME.

Thank you OP for indirectly advertising it ;) haha

That's what I was going to say! I hadn't heard of it as I don't often look for themes. I went to check out Shiki-Colors and I'm totally going to install that!

Thanks, vaporblacking!

mcduck
July 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
It's a great, neutral and clean theme that's available in many colors. And the colors used are smooth and toned down enough to not get on my nerves and to fit many different wallpapers and theme combinations.

But the main point for me is that it's one of the few themes that include icons, windoe themes, wallpapers, login screens and screensaver themes, and even does them all in multiple colors. If you want a uniform, complete theme for your system there really isn't that many options available.

In my opinion gnome-colors/shiki-colors is exactly the kind of theme set that would be a very good option to include in Ubuntu by default. Smooth, professional, modern without being annoyingly shiny and plasticky and has enough color options so nobody has to complain about not liking the brown/orange.

By the way, this theme set seems to get so much updates and new additions that I recommend using the gnome-colors PPA repository instead of downloading the individual packages from gnome-look. :)

MellonCollie
July 16th, 2009, 12:46 PM
It's probably the only dark theme I've ever liked/used. I prefer it with the striped window border; it helps break up the darkness. :)

Hells_Dark
July 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I love it.

Best theme of the year.

My tastes.

pelle.k
July 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I actually didn't like shiki-colors very much either, until I figured out how to change the dark menubar/panel/menus to the nice gray color of the rest of the theme. Now I love it. It's the perfect shade of gray, as silly as that sounds.

No, it's not silly! That's my only problem with shiki colors actually. Mind sharing how to achieve this? I suck at modifying gtkrc's...

perfectska04
July 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
No, it's not silly! That's my only problem with shiki colors actually. Mind sharing how to achieve this? I suck at modifying gtkrc's...

In theory, you can disable the dark elements by deleting line 21 of the gtkrc (include "panel.rc") and deleting the bg[] fg[] and text[] lines from the Menu, Menu-Item and Menu-Bar sections. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if it might cause any bugs, but it should make the theme fully light. Then you can just use the Clearlooks or Clearlooks-colors window borders instead of the included dark ones.

MasterNetra
July 16th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Its by no means a bad theme but I prefer Deep Green + Green Apparatus Cursor, though the Gnome - Wise icon theme from Gnome Colors seems to compliment it.

Barrucadu
July 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Naturally, because of this thread, I'm now running with Shiki-Wise and Gnome-Wise. First time I've changed my icon/gtk theme this year, that I can remember…

Tipped OuT
July 16th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I like Dust more then Shiki Colors... still using it.

Superkoop
July 17th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I'm not a fan of it either, but then again I don't like any of the GNOME themes straight up. I use a conglomeration of edited themes, icon sets, gnome-panels, etc, etc; and I'm still not really happy with it...

Tibuda
July 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I prefer Olona, Pilsner or Ljuda, but Shiki is high quality.

pelle.k
July 17th, 2009, 03:23 AM
In theory, you can disable the dark elements by deleting line 21 of the gtkrc (include "panel.rc") and deleting the bg[] fg[] and text[] lines from the Menu, Menu-Item and Menu-Bar sections. I haven't tried it, so I'm not sure if it might cause any bugs, but it should make the theme fully light. Then you can just use the Clearlooks or Clearlooks-colors window borders instead of the included dark ones.

Actually, i'm quite fond of the gray. It's just that it's too dark. A lighter shade of gray, such as what Pogeymanz said he modified shiki-colors to, is just what i'm looking for.
But thanks for the input. In case he doesn't respond, i'll have something to work with now :D

nortexoid
August 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Shiki-Dust is nice, especially with the Earthy theme for Chromium which is a near-match.

The consistency of the icon set comes from the fact that they're based on and depend on the complete and consistent GNOME and Tango sets. That's nice, but it would also be nice to get a complete and consistent set that does not depend on GNOME or Tango and doesn't look so similar to them, e.g. something glossy would be welcome.

A fully dark theme never completely works, so it's nice to have a theme that combines both dark and light elements in just the right way. Dust and Shiki are probably the best ones out there that do this.

Request: Change the default scroll bars of Shiki to something more modern looking!

calrogman
August 14th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Breathing is so overrated.