PDA

View Full Version : Damn!!! Another Air Crash!!

amitabhishek
July 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS-World-Middle-East-Iran-airliner-crashes-all-passengers-feared-dead/articleshow/4779890.cms

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8151327.stm

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/07/15/iran.plane.crash/index.html

Lets us hope of the best!!!

This is 3rd crash in two months. Scary!!!

lisati
July 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
There's a saying that bad things come in threes.......

BTW I've been to Teheran airport as a transit passenger. July 1971.

RoestVrijStaal
July 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Ow boy. The news around air crashes is really blown up. What next? Car accidents?

It's quite normal, you can't trust air planes in economical growing and 3nd world countries.

amitabhishek
July 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
It's quite normal, you can't trust air planes in economical growing and 3nd world countries.

WTH:rolleyes:?

geekygirl
July 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Ow boy. The news around air crashes is really blown up. What next? Car accidents?

+1 to this statement...

Media love a good bit of sensationalism...

When I was still at Ansett we had a lease aircraft that was leased out to other airlines and it used to get returned to our maintenance base in Melbourne where I was a junior AME in the heavy maintenance department.

The WORST condition that aircraft ever came back in was after it was leased for 12 months to some Middle East based company. There were burn marks on the floor because they had had an incident on one flight where a passenger refused to eat the airline food and demanded he cook his own and setup a stove he was carrying in the middle of the aisle!! (no jokes either) apparently he had to be subdued!

The standards of maintenance and passenger expectations in some third world and developing nations are vastly different to what you find in the more developed aviation countries like the US, UK and here....

In the end, from a professional viewpoint I am really not surprised, personally though its still a terrible thing for the families to deal with.

Fact of life though...aircraft crash, but more cars crash and kill every day....

amitabhishek
July 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Have you guys done an analysis between no. of air crashes in developed countries vis-à-vis developing countries? Or you guys just spouting non-sense?

geekygirl
July 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
No - I am purely basing my opinion on what I have seen on the hangar floor in terms of the condition of aircraft operated in countries with slightly..er..lower maintenance standards as other countries, and where we have had to go in and repair dodgy maintenance performed in developing and third world countries...

Sort of relates to an expression though - pay peanuts...get...

I am not speaking non sense, just talking about personal experience. 18 years in the industry has given me enough time to form my own opinions about such things anyways :P lol

Statistics mean naught to some wrench monkey like me at the end of the day, I prefer to see it in front of me, and its easy to see there are different standards and aircraft conditions based on country...

As for the statistics - given that a country like the UK or US operate probably THE most number of airlines and aircraft anywhere in the world, statistically speaking their numbers are bound to be a LOT higher....

Only have to compare the maintenance standards (an ensuing incidents)on aircraft operated by QANTAS that have been maintained in SE Asia..compared to the locally maintained aircraft...go and have a read at PPRUNE sometime in the Dunnunda, Godzone and Pacific forums and ask the question in there..and watch the QANTAS guys go off!

Pasdar
July 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
No - I am purely basing my opinion on what I have seen on the hangar floor in terms of the condition of aircraft operated in countries with slightly..er..lower maintenance standards as other countries, and where we have had to go in and repair dodgy maintenance performed in developing and third world countries...

Sort of relates to an expression though - pay peanuts...get...

I am not speaking non sense, just talking about personal experience. 18 years in the industry has given me enough time to form my own opinions about such things anyways :P lol

Statistics mean naught to some wrench monkey like me at the end of the day, I prefer to see it in front of me, and its easy to see there are different standards and aircraft conditions based on country...

As for the statistics - given that a country like the UK or US operate probably THE most number of airlines and aircraft anywhere in the world, statistically speaking their numbers are bound to be a LOT higher....

Only have to compare the maintenance standards (an ensuing incidents)on aircraft operated by QANTAS that have been maintained in SE Asia..compared to the locally maintained aircraft...go and have a read at PPRUNE sometime in the Dunnunda, Godzone and Pacific forums and ask the question in there..and watch the QANTAS guys go off!

Well let me weigh in my opinion as an aerospace engineer too then. I'm not aware of the situation in Australia, but the U.S. has the highest rate of incidents and accidents. For this reason I would never sit on a plane of an American airliner.

Al though what you say is true to some extend, that certain countries (mainly African) don't seem to give a *beep* about the level of maintenance of their aircraft, they do get sanctioned for such things. ICAO, EASA, CAA, etc keep an eye on these things and that's the reason we have a list of airliners that are banned from landing at airports of member countries.

The reason the above aircraft has crashed is most likely not due to maintenance standards. Maintenance standards in Iran are quite high, for this reason they are also allowed to land in AESA countries. The above crash is most likely due to it being an older model TU aircraft and they're known to lack on certain aspects.

Other than that the U.S. goes against ICAO regulations by embargoing Iran in buying parts for civilian aircraft. This has caused a high level of bogus parts to enter the Iranian aviation market.

PartisanEntity
July 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM

To be fair, the Iranians are not lacking the money, but the parts due to an embargo (we won't go into the reasons here).

However, again in response to your comments, just recently it was an Air France flight that crashed off the coast of Brazil?, and France is not a developing country.

PartisanEntity
July 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Well let me weigh in my opinion as an aerospace engineer too then. I'm not aware of the situation in Australia, but the U.S. has the highest rate of incidents and accidents. For this reason I would never sit on a plane of an American airliner.

Al though what you say is true to some extend, that certain countries (mainly African) don't seem to give a *beep* about the level of maintenance of their aircraft, they do get sanctioned for such things. ICAO, EASA, CAA, etc keep an eye on these things and that's the reason we have a list of airliners that are banned from landing at airports of member countries.

The reason the above aircraft has crashed is most likely not due to maintenance standards. Maintenance standards in Iran are quite high, for this reason they are also allowed to land in AESA countries. The above crash is most likely due to it being an older model TU aircraft and they're known to lack on certain aspects.

Other than that the U.S. goes against ICAO regulations by embargoing Iran in buying parts for civilian aircraft. This has caused a high level of bogus parts to enter the Iranian aviation market.

Nice to see a post with facts. Thanks for sharing this with us, didn't know that airlines actually get sanctioned.

RoestVrijStaal
July 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
To be fair, the Iranians are not lacking the money, but the parts due to an embargo (we won't go into the reasons here).

However, again in response to your comments, just recently it was an Air France flight that crashed off the coast of Brazil?, and France is not a developing country.
You're right that France is not a developing country, it was guessed that that plane crashed thanks to a storm / hard wind.
So it wasn't the pilots / quality of the plane, but the other crashes like this in Iran it could be more possible. :)

KiwiNZ
July 15th, 2009, 08:22 PM
How about some compassion for those affected .