PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] WUBI install triggered XP WGA nag star in sys tray

oldexplorer
July 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I just installed the latest version of Ubuntu in Windows (XP pro) using WUBI. Both Ubuntu and Windows are working fine, but in Windows the WGA nag star has been triggered into life - it has been quiet for the past 2 years. I don't actually know if my XP is genuine or not, although I thought it was OK.

Btw the timing is not a coincidence - the first start of Windows after the first Ubuntu session brought up the WGA nag.

Why has WGA been triggered? Any ideas welcome.

Mark Phelps
July 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
If your system is genuine, I can't see how installing Wubi, which to MS Windows is no different than installing any other application, would affect WGA. The main thing that triggers WGA is a hardware change, although device driver changes have been shown to do it in the past. But then, neither of those should have happened with a Wubi install.

However, if your system is NOT genuine, then basically, anything could have happened. There are different kinds of activations hacks/workarounds, some involving replacing genuine MS Windows OS components with hacked components. If Wubi updated or replaced those, that would disable the "hack", and WGA would resurface the next time you booted and accessed the internet.