PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with CS 1.6

user328
July 15th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Hey,

I apologise if this is the wrong section for this post, but I will still represent my problem to you.

I installed Ubuntu a few days ago, since my experience with Windows Vista has been horrible. I decided to run steam using wine, and I was also going to run Counter-Strike. So I installed wine first using the following command, "sudo apt-get install wine". Then downloaded steam and installed it. When I launched Steam, my friend's names were very hard to read. It's like it was a mess. (By the way, I did put tahoma.ttf font in drive_c/Windows/Fonts) Not mentioning it was very laggy. So then I downloaded Counter-Strike, and ran it. When I first opened it and clicked on "Find Servers" it crashed. So i had to restart the computer. I ran it again and again and had no luck.
Maybe I did something wrong when I installed it?
These are my specifications,
Processor: AMD Phenom 1.8 GHz Quad Core Processor
Video card: ATI Radeon HD3200 1Gb (If that matters)
Memory: 4 GB DDR2
Operating System Version: Ubuntu Desktop 9.04, 64 bit

Do you have any suggestion on what is wrong or what I should do? Please keep in mind that I am really new to ubuntu, and I do not know what some of the things might be. So please be specific when you tell me something.
Thanks

vinutux
July 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Try This link http://ubuntuguide.net/play-counterstrike-in-ubuntu-with-wine

user328
July 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I have just tried that. Removed my wine, un-installed steam. Did that process, and had no luck. Same thing.

user328
July 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Just want to update that I successfully ran Half Life 2 Deathmatch. With a few bugs, but I don't expect more. Since this is linux, not windows. Surprisingly my fps went higher in some places. If I had 30-80 on Windows Vista, now I have 20-160.
But I am mostly concerned about Counter-Strike, since I have a few servers running in that game.

So if anyone has a suggestion on what I should do, please reply.
Thanks in advance

vinutux
July 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Install latest ATI driver from official site......

just googling there is enough people playing CC in ubuntu...............

gradinaruvasile
July 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Yes it works.
I personally playe and works perfectly. I installed directx 9 with
winetricks

(mainly for games for directx such as Medieval/Rome Total war) and i had improvements in FPS in all games including CS/DoD.

user328
July 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Install latest ATI driver from official site......

just googling there is enough people playing CC in ubuntu...............
I have the latest drivers that ubuntu offered me when I installed it yesterday.
As far as i know Counter-Strike doesn't require video card, or directx. But I will still install it.
But again, as I said I have successfully ran Half Life 2 Deathmatch, so I guess I am doing something wrong.
Steam started bothering me too, it's slow and doesn't show the correct fonts. I know that the problem isn't in my computer performance.
Thanks for your replies

user328
July 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Does anyone has a solution to this?

user328
July 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2498/screenshotqcx.png
This is what my steam page looks like.