PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious Qs about upgrading ubuntu w/multiboot

Jody
July 15th, 2009, 05:48 AM
My system has 3 OSes on it; two Windows versions and ubuntu 6.06 LTS. It was set up a long time ago and I do not remember much about how it was done. I recently did a complete update of all packages on my 6.06 OS, and I now have the "New Distribution Release 8.04.1 LTS Is Available" option in Update Manager. I'm quite interested, but I have some serious questions, because: 1. my system is triple boot; 2. I have a slow modem (dialup) internet connection. I expect that this would take a loooong... time to complete. So, if I were to choose to do this anyway, my questions are: 1. If the connection breaks before this is all downloaded (which it is sure to do) can I resume it without destroying the process, and, can I pause it (and boot into Windows) and then reboot ubuntu and resume? 2. Assuming I am successful in completing the upgrade, will my triple boot setup still work without me having to learn how to manually configure GRUB all over again (it's been a long time since I worked with GRUB and I can't remember zip about how it works...)? Also, I am slowly downloading the .iso for the alternate install CD; should I go that route instead, and if I do, can I get away with it without damaging or having to re-configure my multiboot setup? How much advantage is there to 8.04 LTS over 6.06 LTS other than the extended support period? Is it worth all the trouble, in a case like mine? Lot of questions, I know, but I need to know...

Thank you very much, to whoever decides to tackle this :p

Jody