PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu install breaks Windows w/ Bitlocker

50words
July 15th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I have a Thinkpad T400 running Vista Ultimate, with BitLocker enabled. I finally got around to installing Ubuntu (which I have run on several other computers for years). I used the Windows disk manager to resize the BitLocker partition, then installed Ubuntu on the freed space using LVM so I could set up separate / /home and swap partitions.

For some reason, the installer forced me to use LILO, which I am not familiar with, but I figured out how to get to the boot menu, so it will work just fine.

But when I rebooted and started up Windows, it wanted my BitLocker key. No biggie, I entered it, but Windows would not start. I tried launching the setup repair option, but again, no luck.

Any idea how to get my Windows partition working again?

Ubtuntu
July 15th, 2009, 05:13 AM
While this doesn't solve your problem, it provides some general information about bitlocker requirement that might help you troubleshoot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933246

It talks about Bitlocker needing two partitions on the drive. Did you hose one of these when you installed Ubuntu? Also talks about windows partition needing 10% free space, is it less than that after resize? You can probably identify other potential issues if you read it closer than I did and find a KB article more about post install issues than the linked one. It also talks about using some maintenance tool to repair a bitlocker install, maybe you can find that tool and try it. Good luck.

50words
July 15th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the link. I actually read that over before trying to install Ubuntu, and there does not seem to be much helpful information there.

I am thinking it may be a problem with the MBR, but I cannot figure out how to fix that.

50words
July 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I guess I am going to have to figure out a way to create system recovery disks on another computer. Argh.

Mark Phelps
July 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
How many times did you run Startup Repair? If only once, don't despair. Run it 2 or 3 more times. It has been know to take several attempts to really repair Vista.

50words
July 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
How many times did you run Startup Repair? If only once, don't despair. Run it 2 or 3 more times. It has been know to take several attempts to really repair Vista.

I tried a few times, but no go. Ordered the recovery disks today, since I did not make them beforehand.