PDA

View Full Version : Initiation and Preparation

ahndoruuu
July 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Well to start off, I'll be turning 17 in a month, and am an incoming high school senior.
I've always been pretty interested in computers, even considered a "whiz" by some, but paradoxically the more I learn the more I realize how little I really know. My computer world up until a couple of months ago was Windows-exclusive, but now I'm coming to grips with Ubuntu and have a proficiency in its GUI-related uses; when it comes to the command-line, I have a fairly good understanding of it, just little practical knowledge on how to really use it.

My intended undergrad major is Computer Science, or some derivative thereof, but of course I've heard the horror stories of how ridiculously difficult it is and that one should not even attempt it without prior programming experience. Since I intend to go on to med school afterwards, I need to maintain a very high GPA, and to that end I'm going to spend all of, or most of, my free time acquiring skills that will help me to that end; I've always wanted to have such skills, now I have a very strong motivation to develop them. Anywho what types of things should I learn to help me going in that direction? I'm starting to learn bash and afterwards I plan to learn Python and eventually move on to Java, which I hear is a staple language of the CS major. But I think its important to mention I have almost zero knowledge on the subject already, but I am a very quick learner. If anyone can offer recommendations, I'd appreciate it.

CptPicard
July 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Are you absolutely certain that CS is such a great start towards med school? Admittedly I do not understand the US education system that well, but I really can't think of anything in CS that would be particularly useful in the medical field...

Anyway, Java is a bit of a "trade school" language. If you really want to demonstrate some kind of actual computational thinking with regards to med school, you will want to go to a college that does not just train code monkeys. In any case, you will never professionally need languages like Java... just focus on something like Python, and math and algorithmics... learning to actually write "business" software in Java is going to be a total waste of time for you, as you will never be doing it.

matthew.ball
July 15th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I think, there's a difference between computer engineering, and computer science.

Computer science isn't specific to any language per say - but rather the concepts of programming (particularly the mathematics and algorithms!), when you say Java, I instantly think of engineering or software development.

I'm a 3rd year CS major and we have really been studying formal systems, theory of computation, the concepts of programming languages, and there's been a few required maths courses on number theory, cryptography, machines (automata, grammars etc). The programming languages we have been taught have been (in this order): Haskell, C and Ada. I think each of these languages offers something new (and different) which is why they're taught - not to teach the "language".

Perhaps American* universities are different though...

*Assuming you're from America?

ahndoruuu
July 15th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Actually, I've heard CS major is excellent preparation for med school, especially in an increasingly technological world. Not only will you have the background and knowledge to effectively utilize any type of medical computer system, but the intense critical thinking and problem solving you supposedly develop would be a big plus as well. You can major in anything before heading to med school, so I figured I'd give my second-strongest interest treatment through undergrad and have it as a potential backup. So pretty much the only reason I'm deciding on CS is my strong interest in the subject, plus it is good mental preparation.

Hmm I see, I have heard negatively about Java but a lack of first-hand knowledge rendered me unable to pass judgement.

I think, there's a difference between computer engineering, and computer science.

Computer science isn't specific to any language per say - but rather the concepts of programming (particularly the mathematics and algorithms!), when you say Java, I instantly think of engineering or software development.

I'm a 3rd year CS major and we have really been studying formal systems, theory of computation, the concepts of programming languages, and there's been a few required maths courses on number theory, cryptography, machines (automata, grammars etc). The programming languages we have been taught have been (in this order): Haskell, C and Ada. I think each of these languages offers something new (and different) which is why they're taught - not to teach the "language".

Perhaps American* universities are different though...

*Assuming you're from America?

Hmm...and how difficult would you say your coursework is? just out of curiosity.

and yes I am from America, California specifically.

matthew.ball
July 15th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Though people will no doubt disagree with this... University is easy. Everything you need is given to you. Just apply yourself.

My degree is a Bachelor of Computer Science with a Major in Computing Science - to stay enrolled in this degree, I have to achieve a HD average, so you could say I have to apply myself...

CptPicard
July 15th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Not only will you have the background and knowledge to effectively utilize any type of medical computer system

Any decent CS program has absolutely nothing to do with "using" computer systems. And I would not want to yield my life into the hands of a doctor who is just good at "using computers"...

but the intense critical thinking and problem solving you supposedly develop would be a big plus as well.

Well, that's more like it. I wish you actually find something that develops exactly that. In some ways I would feel it would be better to study philosophy or maths instead...

ahndoruuu
July 15th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Any decent CS program has absolutely nothing to do with "using" computer systems. And I would not want to yield my life into the hands of a doctor who is just good at "using computers"...

Yeah I realize I probably worded that wrong, but you should be able to get the gist of what I meant, along the lines of a doctor who can not only effectively use but understand the inner workings of medical computer systems and therefore possibly improve it for other users to perhaps save more lives, in addition to being able to save your life through traditional means. These days robotic surgeries, controlled by computer, are increasingly common and used for things ranging from minimally invasive surgeries to completely unmanned surgeries. Being able to understand the processes behind the computers controlling these surgeries and whatnot can only benefit you as a medical practitioner, no matter in how small a way.

That, and I'm the type of guy who likes to learn for the sake of learning; learning anything, as long as you are learning, usually presents some benefit or other.