PDA

View Full Version : Where do head from here?

Jimleko211
July 15th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I finished a Programming Java 1 course in my freshman year of high school (I'm going to sophomore next year), and we stopped at Object Oriented Programming. We learned things like encapsulation (I guess all 4 of the pillars of OOD) and the Model View Control design structure.

I want to head into game programming. Does anyone know where I should head to learn more?

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 15th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I don't really know Java, but I would guess find a site that teaches Java, find up to where you left off, and go on from there. If you really want a bit of a challenge learn C++, which is fairly similar to Java (but much better ;)

JordyD
July 15th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Yes C++ is very similar to Java, and it's the standard when it comes to game programming. Most game programming libraries are provided for C++. Plus, C++ is faster than Java, and for bigger games, this is a must-have.

You can still program in Java, I'm sure there are libraries and tutorials for Java game programming. In fact, here is a list of game libraries (http://wiki.gamedev.net/index.php/Libraries), I'm sure that you can find some Java ones in there. If you do go with C++, the most popular library is SDL. It's not object-oriented, which I think makes for ugly code when you're using object-orientation. There are wrappers for SDL that provide a more object-oriented library. For example you can use SDLmm or SFML (google them). These are all in the Ubuntu repos.

Good luck. :)

Seed++
July 15th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Imo you should begin learning C++. As JordyD said it's similar so it shouldn't be to hard to pickup; and if you do decide to learn C++ you can find some great books that will help you out. However if you stick with Java you can still find some great books to help you get into game programming.

Jimleko211
July 15th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Thanks for all your wonderful responses! I actually have a C++ book at home (I'm at my grandma's house for a few weeks), and now I'm kicking myself because I didn't bring it. ><

Well, off to google to find a comprehensive tutorial on C++. Thanks again everyone!

abhilashm86
July 15th, 2009, 04:48 AM
also along with c++, you can start learning opengl http://www.opengl.org/documentation/, so it includes all renderning scene information and much more..........

arcdrag
July 15th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Not to be a dreambreaker, but getting into game development is extremely competitive. You're doing the right thing by starting very early, and I wish my high school would have offered some sort of classes back in the day like that. However, just know that its going to take a ton more work to get into the gaming industry than it would to get into an equally paying job somewhere else.

Also, remember that any major game development company will need all types of programmers. Thus if you do find an area like networks or artificial intelligence more interesting, you won't have to give up your goal of working in the gaming industry just because you're not a graphics guy. C++ is pretty much a necessity though, so there's really no way around that one.

Jimleko211
July 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Oh I don't want to get into professional game development. I just want some hobbiest stuff. Thanks for the heads up, though.