PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation problems. Cant boot from CD.

Sabakukupo
July 15th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Having some noobie computer problems here. Seems I'm unable to boot from CD to get Ubuntu up and running.

Its not a flaw in the CD itself, I'm unable to boot from any CDs.
In the BIOS menu, the IDE-CD drive is set to #1 on the priority list, yet my computer boots straight to the OS without any other prompts (I don't get any messages such as "Press _ to boot to CD").

If its relevant, I'm attempting this on a Dell Dimension 8250. BIOS version A01.

Also worthy of note - the CD drive is otherwise working fine (can be used to transfer files, play music, etc.)

Is there another way I can install Ubuntu, or an alternative way to 'force' booting from CD?

What am I missing?

jerrrys
July 15th, 2009, 03:15 AM
your simply not booting to cd; Yes? that to me seems like a bios problem. do not know anything about dell, but why not just pull the power on the hard drive and force it to load cd???

confused57
July 15th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I have to press F12 during post to enter the boot menu on my Dell Dimension 4550, may or may not be the same for you.

presence1960
July 15th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I have to press F12 during post to enter the boot menu on my Dell Dimension 4550, may or may not be the same for you.

+1
that is pretty much standard across dell models