PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] wubi installer quits without displaying anything

jtniehof
July 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I double-click on the wubi exe, the cursor changes to hourglass and the hard drive cranks for a bit, and wubi.exe shows up in task manager. After a few seconds the cursor changes back to an arrow, the hard drive activity stops, and wubi.exe disappears from task manager. At no point does the installer display anything nor appear to actually do anything.

Thinkpad T43 running XP, same results using the "Download now" link from the wubi homepage, rev129 from SourceForge, or rev 134RC from the thread in this forum. Antivirus disabled for the installation.

riyanm
July 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
hi there jtniehof,

I don't have a solution for you but perhaps a clue. I have a Thinkpad X40 and my system does the same thing. I have GRUB in my MBR. Do you have the original IBM MBR, or have you modified it?

My guess is that this problem happens to IBM Thinkpads. Mine is three years old, and seems like yours is newer.

jtniehof
July 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The T43's a few years old, probably about the same vintage as yours. It's the original MBR, nothing funky done to it.

I'd find it really bizarre if something in the MBR kept a Windows app from even starting (since, after all, that's all the installer is at that point.)

MadmanMike83
July 31st, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have the same problem on old IBM thinkcentre desktop running Windows XP SP3. wubi.exe pops up in the task manager for a second or two then disappears. without any visible effect.

MadmanMike83
July 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Oddly enough the 8.10 wubi installer loads up fine, but I don't really want Ubuntu 8.10.

jtniehof
September 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I checked in %TEMP% for the wubi log file...there is none there, just a pyl82.tmp.exe with the wubi logo.

ropeladder
September 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I am having the same problem with the installer on my old homebuilt Windows98SE machine. Some processes start running (which you notice if you hit ctrl-alt-delete right away) and then everything disappears.

-ben

arnige
September 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Exactly the same problem here on a Dell Precision M65 running XP SP3.

compo80
November 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I have the same problem on an old desktop:
MS-6368 Micro-ATX Mainboard
504Mb Ram
Intel Celeron 1066MHz [x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 1]
Windows 98SE.

I have already tryed a lot of thing to get ubuntu -including clean the cd drive lens and try unetbootin- but no one work.

Please help
Thank you in advice.

Bernie9119
November 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Same problem here on an old Acer laptop with XP. The log file says that the write to registry for the uninstaller failed with "access denied". The account has no admin rights.

tracybejj
January 16th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I double-click on the wubi exe, the cursor changes to hourglass and the hard drive cranks for a bit, and wubi.exe shows up in task manager. After a few seconds the cursor changes back to an arrow, the hard drive activity stops, and wubi.exe disappears from task manager. At no point does the installer display anything nor appear to actually do anything.Thinkpad T43 running XP, same results using the "Download now" link from the wubi homepage, rev129 from SourceForge, or rev 134RC from the thread in this forum. Antivirus disabled for the installation (http://www.software-to-convert.com/asf-conversion-software/index.html).It's helpful to me, It's very detailed, Thanks for your effort!