PDA

View Full Version : Well, vrms sucks at its job...

Pogeymanz
July 14th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I was just curious to see how much nonfree software I have on my computer so I installed this app.

The only things it found were:
Opera, ttf-mscorefonts, b43-fwcutter (is that really not free?)

When I know that I also have installed:
Mathematica 7, VirtualBox Guest Additions, Adobe Flash Plugin, a bunch of codecs and WinXP in VirtualBox

Now, I didn't expect it to find WinXP inside VirtualBox, so that's fine. And I can understand it not finding Mathematica because I didn't install it via apt. But why couldn't it tell me about flashplugin and the codecs?

I really wanted to know how many nonfree codecs I have installed.

The reason for this is that I've been on a free software kick recently, so I uninstalled Opera and adobe's flashplugin for gnash. Of course, I can't uninstall Mathematica or get rid of my broadcom firmware, so I'll never be 100% free...

The Toxic Mite
July 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Linux can't entirely be free and open source software, you know. ;)

Pogeymanz
July 15th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Well, that isn't true at all.

If I didn't need Mathematica for school/work and have a broadcom wireless card, it would be pretty simple for me to survive with only free software.

And Ubuntu is totally free software by default. So, it's totally possible, and maybe one day it'll be an easier feat to accomplish for the average person. ;)

I'm still curious as to what codecs and such are non-free. I'm guessing that the gstreamer-bad/ugly plugins are probably named as such because they are non-free. And since I can play mp3's, can I assume that there is a non-free codec at work there too?