PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install software for release x in release y

Andysan
July 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hi,

A simple question, but one that i can't find the answer to; if i want to install a particular application and it's only available for Ubuntu release 'y' (a later version than my version, version 'x') can i do so or will the universe fold in on itself (or equally bad, will stuff not work properly on my PC)?

Thanks!

ptn107
July 15th, 2009, 12:04 AM
It depends on the program. I've taken various Karmic pre-release packages and installed them in 9.04, 8.10, 8.04.2 without problems. You will usually be cautioned by apt-get or aptitude when installing packages that conflict or break others. Just to warn you now if something goes wrong, downgrading is a pain [when it's even possible] and usually results in a clean install anyway. Upgrade the software only if you need the new features it provides.

Andysan
July 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks, that's a useful reply. I guess i'll be upgrading my ancient 8.04 boxes then!):P

a7ndrew
July 29th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Just to check, would the syntax in apt-get be:

sudo apt-get install -t karmic foo

to upgrade from foo version x which is on the jaunty repository to some later version which is in the karmic repository?

a7ndrew
July 31st, 2009, 05:19 AM
This syntax doesn't seem to be working... would anyone be able to set me straight? The package I'm trying to upgrade is subversion.