PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Mutt
January 25th, 2006, 04:43 AM
G'day,

Just wanted to say hello to the forum and I'm hoping this is the right place to do that. I'm new to linux but have been using computers for about 23 years or so, started off with a Sega SC-3000 that had 16k of ram and a cassette player for loading programs.

I've been trying out several different distros over the last couple of weeks and have finally settled on using Ubuntu and SuSE for the time being although I'll probably replace SuSE with Fedora when I get around to downloading the 32 bit version (the 64 bit version causes way too much grief).

While I'm here I'd like to say thanks to the blokes who developed Automatix, they saved me a week or so of searching and reading.

John

stream303
January 25th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Welcome aboard Mutt!

I started with a VIC-20 and cassette back in 81. I didn't do much with it - but look what Linus did with his!

Have a great time - Ubuntu has been running great for me, but more importantly the community is fantastic!

Mutt
January 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM
G'day Stream,

I eventually bought a disk drive for the sega, cost me $600 and took 3 inch disks which were $10 each...aahhhh the good ole days.

And yes the community is fantastic, this forum was one of the main reasons I decided to try Ubuntu, same goes for the Fedora forum. Some of the forums for other distros actually turned me off using them because just about every reply was either "RTFM" or "google is your friend". I don't know why they bother replying at all.

John