PDA

View Full Version : I found an interesting site...

NOTAGEEK
July 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I found this site while reviewing my old threads...

many of you could already have this but some may not...

worth a look ---------------> http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/linux/

enjoy...

thanks...

Yvan300
July 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks ! :)

Sidewinder1
July 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Never saw that one. Thanks.
Side

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks ! :)

Never saw that one. Thanks.
Side

your welcome...

MontelEdwards
July 15th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I really dont see the purpose of it, sorry!

DCGStudios
July 15th, 2009, 12:31 AM

Just because you don't need the how-to doesn't mean most of the beginners in the "Absolute Beginner Talk" section wont find many of these how-to's useful.

Thanks for the link! :popcorn:

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the link! :popcorn:
u r welcome...

carml
July 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thank,I'll give it a glance as soon as possible.
Ancient Chinese proverb: even a sage has something to learn from other people. :) ):P

TheFloridiot
July 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Bookmarked, thanks for sharing!

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Bookmarked, thanks for sharing!

good deal---u r welcome...

ufolx
July 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM
nice ;)

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
nice ;)

enjoy...

SirBismuth
July 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks, will add it to my growing list of Linux bookmarks. :mrgreen:

B

NOTAGEEK
July 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks, will add it to my growing list of Linux bookmarks. :mrgreen:

B

okeedokee SB...

nynoah
July 15th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I book marked that too. Not sure how current some of the things are. But not everything changes to.

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I book marked that too. Not sure how current some of the things are. But not everything changes to.

maybe it will be helpful ??? enjoy...

Elep.Repu
July 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I use http://www.google.com (http://www.google.com/)

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM

gee thanks---ill try that one one of these days...

Revolutionary101
July 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the website link. I think it is great.

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the website link. I think it is great.

awesome... thanks...

nikhilbhardwaj
July 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
i'm with you on that

t0p
July 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM

So you have looked through every one of those HOWTOs and none of them are going to be of any help to you, ever? Wow, I wish I knew as much as you do about Linux! Me, I'm always having to learn stuff.

Mornedhel
July 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
So you have looked through every one of those HOWTOs and none of them are going to be of any help to you, ever? Wow, I wish I knew as much as you do about Linux! Me, I'm always having to learn stuff.

He kind of does have a point, though. Howtos feel like magic recipes that you can follow without ever having to actually learn what it is you're doing (aka "voodoo computing"). Many users who come here don't want explanations on why something broke or how to use the package manager, they want "sudo codes" (arrgh !) that they can cut and paste without understanding what they do. (Paraphrased quote : "I remember that in the past I fixed this using a sudo code, any idea ?") Some don't even want that because the CLI feels foreign and complicated, even though remembering and typing a command is really no different from remembering and re-executing a series of clicks in a particular application.

All of that so that they can keep on using Ubunto/Ubunta/uBuntu/Unbuntu (yes, I came across all of those in these forums !) "2.26" (yes, also saw this !) or "9.01" without ever having to know what went wrong and why. (Oh, and they don't read the error messages. They just click right through it. *Then* they ask how to fix it. "Something broke and everything went blue. Any ideas ?")

Linux used to be a somewhat elite-only operating system. Then Ubuntu came and showed that it was possible to have a user-friendly Linux, and that was good. Then it attracted people and demonstrated that Linux could weigh in the balance, and that was good. Then it attracted everybody and I remembered how users really are like, and that they don't want to learn, and that was not good, not good at all. But there's really no way to get the good users without the bad users, so... (Yes, there are good newcomers. Those make support on these forums worthwhile.)

(Plus there already are plenty of links in the stickies and it looks like no newcomer, ever, reads them before asking a question, even though they're at the top of the page with READ THIS FIRST in bold letters.)

(Disclaimer : I in no way pretend to know everything about Linux, not even close. But when something breaks I try to understand what and how to fix it, I don't go to a bookmarked page and copypaste every howto that looks like it might be related to my problem.)

(Final disclaimer : Yes, I like Ubuntu, because it's a friendly Linux. Yes, I want Linux to get more marketshare on the desktop, because it will attract more developers and that means it will get better and better. Yes, I am conflicted.)

estyles
July 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
All of that so that they can keep on using Ubunto/Ubunta/uBuntu/Unbuntu (yes, I came across all of those in these forums !) "2.26" (yes, also saw this !) or "9.01"

It's called Unutbu, get it right. Or was it Ubutnu? I always type one or the other of those and have to backspace... :o

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
He kind of does have a point, though. Howtos feel like magic recipes that you can follow without ever having to actually learn what it is you're doing (aka "voodoo computing"). Many users who come here don't want explanations on why something broke or how to use the package manager, they want "sudo codes" (arrgh !) that they can cut and paste without understanding what they do. (Paraphrased quote : "I remember that in the past I fixed this using a sudo code, any idea ?") Some don't even want that because the CLI feels foreign and complicated, even though remembering and typing a command is really no different from remembering and re-executing a series of clicks in a particular application.

All of that so that they can keep on using Ubunto/Ubunta/uBuntu/Unbuntu (yes, I came across all of those in these forums !) "2.26" (yes, also saw this !) or "9.01" without ever having to know what went wrong and why. (Oh, and they don't read the error messages. They just click right through it. *Then* they ask how to fix it. "Something broke and everything went blue. Any ideas ?")

Linux used to be a somewhat elite-only operating system. Then Ubuntu came and showed that it was possible to have a user-friendly Linux, and that was good. Then it attracted people and demonstrated that Linux could weigh in the balance, and that was good. Then it attracted everybody and I remembered how users really are like, and that they don't want to learn, and that was not good, not good at all. But there's really no way to get the good users without the bad users, so... (Yes, there are good newcomers. Those make support on these forums worthwhile.)

(Plus there already are plenty of links in the stickies and it looks like no newcomer, ever, reads them before asking a question, even though they're at the top of the page with READ THIS FIRST in bold letters.)

(Disclaimer : I in no way pretend to know everything about Linux, not even close. But when something breaks I try to understand what and how to fix it, I don't go to a bookmarked page and copypaste every howto that looks like it might be related to my problem.)

(Final disclaimer : Yes, I like Ubuntu, because it's a friendly Linux. Yes, I want Linux to get more marketshare on the desktop, because it will attract more developers and that means it will get better and better. Yes, I am conflicted.)

thanks... everyone here reading this thread has different feelings and opinions...

perhaps in the future when i learn how i can design a thread like this one to be a "poll thread"

im brand new here and obviously a much slower learner than most on here, but we all have our levels and systems of how to learn something new...

i just "finally" learned something on one of my other threads that i think sunk in after trying the app>add/remove thing 3 or 4 times... if it wasnt for a seasoned veteran with not many beans taking a few minutes of his time to help i might continue to be asking that "stupid question" but i have too many other stupid ones to ask...

i have zero ability to learn by jumping from page to page or website to website but have been to the stickies lots and lots of times... heck its easier for me to learn by reading hard copy that i can put down on the table when it gives me a headache... not allot easier but a little easier... i screwed up before i knew better and bought a lexmark printer that wont print on umbuntu (new spelling for your files) or i could print stuff and read from a hard copy and not bother folks on here as much...

my objective here is to eventually know enough here to give back and maybe help a person just comming on board here on occasion... i dont have the capacity, desire, or motivation to learn to program but want to enjoy myself while learning in my own way...

i think the how to's are sweet...

thanks...

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
It's called Unutbu, get it right. Or was it Ubutnu? I always type one or the other of those and have to backspace... :o

hey buddy---it's umbuntu---wanna step outside ???

TBOL3
July 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
This seams very old. I mean, having to edit the sources file to add a repository? Especially when the line has dapper. (good old times...)

Anyway, some of these might be useful.

NOTAGEEK
July 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
i hope everyone that thought this to be a good link gets useage and enjoyment from it...

this thread tagged closed...