PDA

View Full Version : Perl or not?

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm learning Perl and I like it over Python. Should I bother learnign Perl though? Is it a "good" language to know; as in will I be able to find it useful to tackle common every day tasks? I've never really heard to much about it so I'm skeptic.
Perhaps some of you know Perl and would recommend it?

Thanks

y-lee
July 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I don't program in Perl but from what i know about it it should be a excellent language to "tackle common every day tasks". It has a huge selection of libraries one can use, more so than python and a very active community of users. So yes I would say it is a useful language to know, tho probably abit harder than python to fully grok. Hope that helps :)

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Exactly what I was looking for, just that reassurance that my time wont be wasted.

thank you :D

Finalfantasykid
July 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
The more languages the better...

speaking of which...I should learn some more... :-k

blackxored
July 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
IMHO, you need only to know perl if you're extending perl utilities.
Otherwise, I'd stick to more clean, o-o languages, such as Python and Ruby.
Anyways, that's a personal choice.
If you need a language, use Python or Ruby.
If you need to extend a library, develop a plugin, and other task where perl is the language of choice for the app in question, then of course you should learn it.
Personally, I haven't ever need it.
Best regards.

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the great feed back. And I definitely agree that the more languages the better. I hope to know 'em all one day :guitar:

Mirge
July 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Perl would be a great language to learn I think. I used to use it extensively a few years back for work. It definitely would not be a waste of time to learn it and use it, IMO.

Drone022
July 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I hear Perl is the "duct tape of the internet".

JordyD
July 14th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I hear Perl is the "duct tape of the internet".

Yes,

duct tape = dull, gray, messy, whatever you use it on is guaranteed to fall apart again = Perl

Gotta love it when analogies fall apart.

Mirge
July 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yes,

duct tape = dull, gray, messy, whatever you use it on is guaranteed to fall apart again = Perl

Gotta love it when analogies fall apart.

](*,)

Oh well, I guess someone had to bash Perl.

JordyD
July 14th, 2009, 10:09 PM
](*,)

Oh well, I guess someone had to bash Perl.

I was thinking that when I wrote it, just in the present tense. Edit: And without the ](*,).

Mirge
July 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
So why don't you like Perl?

JordyD
July 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
So why don't you like Perl?

I don't not like Perl. I just like bashing things. In fact, I've never used Perl.

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 14th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah I was surprised for a while that every one only said such great things... I knew some one had to no like it lol.

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I don't not like Perl. I just like bashing things. In fact, I've never used Perl.

Ok so every one is still for it then. :D

Not like I haven't been learning it for the past few hours any way lol

myrtle1908
July 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Perl is one of the more useful languages that I have ever learned. After learning it many years ago I still use it at least once a week in my day job as a software developer. It is also an excellent vehicle for learning regular expressions. Despite all the Python lovers proclaiming that Perl is dead, I say learn it. You will not be disappointed.

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Perl is one of the more useful languages that I have ever learned. After learning it many years ago I still use it at least once a week in my day job as a software developer. It is also an excellent vehicle for learning regular expressions. Despite all the Python lovers proclaiming that Perl is dead, I say learn it. You will not be disappointed.

I have to tell you, I am absolutely loving it! The only other languages I really loved learning, where C and C++.
EDIT: and BASH :D

ssam
July 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
perl is older and widely used, so if you need to work with code that is already written in perl you will need it.

however python is designed to be easier to learn and read, so you may be able to do useful things with it faster.

use of python seems to be growing. linux distros like ubuntu, fedora and gentoo use lots of python for things like package management. google use it and are sponsoring a project to make it faster (unladen swallow).

it does not hurt to learn lots of languages though.

nvteighen
July 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Definitely learn Perl. It's a unique language because it stresses much more on context and morphology than the rest of languages; it definitely makes you look to things in a peculiar and interesting way.

I don't use it very much, actually, but I tend to think Perl is much more suited for high-level system programming (C would be low-level system programming) than Python is. Being influenced by shell scripting languages like awk and sed Perl seems more natural for those tasks, but also for general purpose programming.

c0mput3r_n3rD
July 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM
That's how I am finding it to be. :D Walls made a great language. It's almost like a now-adays RPG.