PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get back missing drive? help!

imperium2335
July 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
can someone help me please.

I picked the Z drive on my pc to be ubuntus installation place from within windows, restarted, had a look, then booted into windows to find the drive has vanished. How do i get it back!? In disk manager it says it is a a gtp protected drive :S

Im also curious about the installation size option you get when installing it from within windows, whats difference between the 6gb and the 30gb(max)?.

Thanks in advance.

j7%<RmUg
July 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Windows cant see ubuntu filesystem formats (ext3, ext4, reiserfs, etc) Iv never bothered installing ubuntu inside windows i just did a dual boot, now i just use ubuntu.

So my suggestion is to install ubuntu alongside windows rather than inside it, there are plenty of good guides for dual booting windows with ubuntu if you google. It will also be much much quicker because it wont have ot run off windows, it will run independantly.

Hope i helped.

imperium2335
July 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
i want to try it out first before wiring my cdrom back up, but how can i convert the drive back to its original state with all the files i had still on it?

HotForLinux
July 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hi:

1. I picked the Z drive on my pc to be ubuntu's installation place from within windows,
2. restarted...... restarted what?
3. had a look .....where?. - What did you see? Ubuntu seemed installed ok? Did you log in?
4. then booted into windows to find the drive has vanished. How do i get it back!? In disk manager it says it is a a gtp protected drive :S

Sorry, I've never done all that, but maybe that disk or partition does not appear because now it's being used by Linux and it's useless to windos.

The difference between the 6gb and 30gb?. It's 24GB! - What do you mean?

imperium2335
July 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i installed ubuntu inside windows, then rebooted and picked demo from the ubuntu menu, after looking at ubuntu for a min or two i restarted to go back into windows, thats when i see my drive is gone. Ive tried going back into ubuntu but now i get messages that files are missing and it wont work.

when installing from within windows, it asks what youd like the installation size to be.

imperium2335
July 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
woo i fixed it, i mounted it with findandmount. nevermind!