PDA

View Full Version : Best Special Effects in a Movie

HappinessNow
July 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Best Special Effects in a Movie

I can't think of any at the moment, can you?

stinger30au
July 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
in its day when matrix came out and you could see the audio from the gun shots what was spectacular

now everyone is doing it

lisati
July 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM
This one (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabZZj5Nvhg) would come nowhere close to being "the best" special effects.

lovinglinux
July 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Matrix effects were really cool. One moment I can think of is when the trucks collide in Matrix Revolution. Very freaking cool effects.

But if I have to pick a WTF moment, then I guess I would say the opening battle of Star Wars III. Great special effects are common today, but that battle was a masterpiece.

Another great moment was from Battlestar Galactica, when Adama jumps into New Caprica atmosphere with the ship, which cannot fly due to it's size, then jumps away just a few seconds from hitting the ground. The ship was covered in fire due to friction with the atmosphere and the fighters were launched through the flames. When the ship jumps away it creates some sort of vacuum, that sucked up all the oxygen and the flames. That was a really mind blowing scene. Nobody expected it. I guess everyone thought It was going to be the end for the ship.

wojox
July 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I think the last good special f/x movie I saw would be Transforms.
Cannot wait for the second.

monsterstack
July 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The Thing. Legendary special effects-laden film. They'd do it all in tedious CGI nowadays.

bodyharvester
July 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
the first Starship Troopers film was great so was the new Terminator,

and dont forget the second Terminator, the T-1000 ;)

gradinaruvasile
July 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Lord of the Rings.

GeneralZod
July 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I personally find that the ones in any big-ish budget flick are sufficiently good nowadays that it's really hard to distinguish between them.

I give kudos to 1993's "Jurassic Park" whose daylight-lit dinosaurs still look good, even now.

lovinglinux
July 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I give kudos to 1993's "Jurassic Park" whose daylight-lit dinosaurs still look good, even now.

I agree. Very nice scene.

cmay
July 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
old movies like the experiment or newer movies like the fly or braindead or a movie like gremlins. . they all have good special effects. (starwars and aliens off is course also great and well known for special effects. )

i think today nothing is special anymore and i so have stopped watching movies that are made after 2006 as a principal decision. i think older movies was harder to create special effects for that was hard to make audience believe was real and the story lines where much more interesting back then than they are now.

this is off course just my opinion.
but having seen movies like the first wolfman in black and white really makes me think about how much difference there is between the actual story and the special effects from years back to now. i like movies wiht a good blend of realistic effects and a good story.

Chilli Bob
July 14th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Metropolis (1927) and King Kong (1933) still stand up as the greats. Sure, they can't compare to the realism of CGI, but from an aesthetic point of view, they can't be beat. The model work in Battle of Britain (1969) contributed to the best action sequences in ANY film. The Death Star battle in the original Star Wars film was great for the tiny budget.

CGI has lost it's "WOW!" value through overuse, but I still remember the impact of the first Jurassic Park movie, and Terminator 2.

karellen
July 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
war and peace (voyna i mir) - the 1968 movie

zoomy942
July 14th, 2009, 03:12 PM
the Narnia movies had great effects too

djsroknrol
July 14th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I'd have to say Jurassic Park...when that T-Rex came out of its pen, I climbed up in my seat!!....thank goodness we were sitting in the back row...LOL

DoktorSeven
July 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Wizard of Oz.

For its time.

Stan_1936
July 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
The Matrix

Cenotaph
July 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
What about The Fountain? They didn't use CGI and created the most beautiful environments. Amazing.

Transformers did a great job with the CGI as well.

Cheesemill
July 14th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Aliens

Bart_D
July 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
For me, the Matrix (1st movie) was such a different kind of special effects(Aliens, Jurassic Park, etc. were all quite similar) that I have to say The Matrix.

Sand & Mercury
July 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Hercules In New York

linuxguymarshall
July 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
More of sound effets but I just like to hear the Wilhelm scream

zoomy942
July 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
What about The Fountain? They didn't use CGI and created the most beautiful environments. Amazing.

Transformers did a great job with the CGI as well.

good call. what a strange movie

MickS
July 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
2001 A Space Odyssey wins for me.

Mick

metallicamike
July 14th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I would have to say Order of the Phoenix was amazing.

elianthony
July 14th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I think the best for it's day, out of all films, are the original Star Wars movies. They tower above their competition of that time period, and they're alot better than many newer films.

mcduck
July 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I think the best for it's day, out of all films, are the original Star Wars movies. They tower above their competition of that time period, and they're alot better than many newer films.

I agree. I suppose the problem is that with CGI effects it's quite easy to do anything, so people tend to think less about what the are really trying to achieve and just end using the effects because they can.

Certain amount of limitations lead to more interesting and creative results. Not just in movies but in pretty much everything.

swoll1980
July 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
If you want best overall, it has to be Transformers. The most revolutionary would be something like Starwars, for my generation. Jurassic Park, or Independence day for something a little more, recent, but completely ground breaking.

Giant Speck
July 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I love the opening scene to Contact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAUR7NQCLA

The machine explosion scene from that movie is awesome, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdcE3VyKv5U

holmes
July 14th, 2009, 10:19 PM
How about the original Star wars movies. Graphics still look pretty good even today.

Kopachris
July 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know if it's the best, but the scene where the Enterprise rammed the Scimitar in Nemesis was pretty good.