PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why is Update Manager asking for 9.04 cd on Ubuntu 8.10?

resander
July 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I have always kept my Ubuntu 8.10 up to date by installing all updates.

Recently I keep getting this message when clicking 'Install Updates' button:

Please insert disk labelled:
Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1)
in drive /cdrom/

I don't have this CD and I want to continue using 8.10, which is working fine. I have never clicked the 'Upgrade' to 9.04 button at the top of the Update dialog.

Would I not be inviting problems if I got the CD with 9.04 packages and tried to install updates on 8.10?

Updating the package dpkg-dev (it is in the list of updates available) causes this message to appear.

I have never been asked to insert a CD to do the routine updates before.
Why now?

vinutux
July 14th, 2009, 08:36 AM
If you ever inserted ubuntu 9.04 cd and add repos to synaptic

Anyway open software sources

System->administration->software sources

and untick ubuntu 9.04 cd fuunder Installable from cd-rom/DVD section

resander
July 14th, 2009, 09:27 AM
There is no 'ubuntu 9.04 cd' in the Installable from CD-ROM/DVD section. There is a ubuntu 8.10 though and that is already unticked.

Your first sentence starting 'If you ever...' ends half-way. I guess the tail part should read 'you will end up with trouble'. Right?

vinutux
July 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM
So no way to ask ubuntu 9.04 cd....sounds strange..........////

swoody
July 14th, 2009, 09:45 AM
There is no 'ubuntu 9.04 cd' in the Installable from CD-ROM/DVD section. There is a ubuntu 8.10 though and that is already unticked.

Your first sentence starting 'If you ever...' ends half-way. I guess the tail part should read 'you will end up with trouble'. Right?

Well, if it's not showing up in the GUI version, lets go check the file itself :D

Open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and enter:

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

It'll ask you for your password, so enter it, and hit enter. When the gedit window opens, look for a line that begins with "deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope" If that listing is in there, you'll need to put a # in front of it. Then make sure to save the file, and you can exit that program.

After you exit, go back into Update Manager and check if it gives you the same error message now :)

tarps87
July 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Can you try:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep jaunty
and

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep Jaunty

This should list any references to 9.04 in you sources list

resander
July 14th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks,

Yes, it was in /etc/apt/sources.list. Loud and clear! Problem solved after commenting out the line.

But how did it get there? I don't recall clicking the 'Upgrade to 9.04' button and backing out, which possibly could explain it.

Again many thanks.

swoody
July 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Good, good. Glad that worked out for you :)

Not sure what causes it. Maybe some funky upgrade? Maybe a typo by the developer? Maybe a small gang of computer fairies snuck into your room at night to mess with you?? To be honest, I'm really not sure what would have caused this ;)

LewRockwell
July 14th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Can you try:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep juanty
and

cat /etc/apt/sources.list | grep Juanty

This should list any references to 9.04 in you sources list

shouldn't that be "jaunty" as in "a" and then "u"...

philinux
July 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Sounds like the PEBKAC bug struck again. :lolflag:

tarps87
July 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
shouldn't that be "jaunty" as in "a" and then "u"...

Not in my mind :)