PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to remove Ubuntu and GRUB from my PC without harming Vista?

boopit
July 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I'm experiencing some problems with Vista right now due to some failed software installations and various other screwups by me. So I want to do a clean recovery of my machine and restore it to the factory settings. I also have Ubuntu 9.04 installed, and am afraid that if completely restore vista, it might not install with GRUB right and therefore be invisible to GRUB and I won't be able to boot into vista.

The first thing alot of people will do when they see this question is: Tell me to do a google search on it. I've done this, and found MANY, I mean MANY articles on how to do this. All of them require a vista installation disk. I don't have a vista installation disk. All i have are a set of recovery disks I made when i first got my computer (an HP S5160F) not too long ago. How can i remove GRUB and Ubuntu successfully and do a clean recovery of my computer and then reinstall everything successfully with no harm done?

(NOTE: I am somewhat a linux noob, so i need this explained in the simplest of terms please)

lisati
July 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Important: make a backup of important data before making changes to your system.

There are different possible answers. Here goes with a summary of one of them.

1. Removing Ubuntu
It is possible, using the partitioner on an Ubuntu LiveCD (check "System->Administration->Partition editor" on the menu) to delete the Ubuntu partition(s) and to grow the Windows partition to use the whole disk.

2. Removing Grub
I'm not familiar with the HP recovery disks, but a set of recovery disks I made for my Compaq machine (manufactured by HP) it's possible to do a little repair work. You'll need to use the disks to boot into a "recovery console" (command line) to issue the "fixmbr" and "fixboot" commands. This should get things so it will boot Windows again.