PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ext3 partition sadly became unallocated after installing windows 7

kad78
July 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Any help would be much appreciated:

Origionally, I had Ubuntu(9.04) installed on an ext3 partition. I installed windows 7 from a bootable CD. However, after doing so, the ext3 partition became unallocated, and I have been unable to run Ubuntu or access my files on that partition. I have search on forums for days with no luck. I would love some help!!

Peace out.

merlinus
July 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Can you run ubuntu from the live cd? If so, open a terminal and post the results of:

sudo fdisk -l

Sef
July 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Did you install Windows after Ubuntu? If so, then you have overwritten GRUB, and it needs to be reinstalled. User Super GRUB Disk (http://supergrubdisk.org) to restore it.

kad78
July 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Did you install Windows after Ubuntu? If so, then you have overwritten GRUB, and it needs to be reinstalled. User Super GRUB Disk (http://supergrubdisk.org) to restore it.

Thanks for you attention.

Yes I did install Windows after Ubuntu. However, I was aware of GRUB being wiped by the windows boot loader, so I tried to reinstall it using easyBCD. However, the partition was not recognised, and thus it would not work. Therefore, regardless of whether GRUB is installed [i think] there is another problem to be solved concerning the ext3 partition.

I shall obtain a live cd and post the results of: sudo fdisk -l in a few hours.

csabo2
July 14th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I would say download gparted bootable CD (gparted.sourceforge.net) and boot it up, windows may have just used the whole drive :(

coffeecat
July 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I would say download gparted bootable CD (gparted.sourceforge.net)

The OP has said that they are going to get the Ubutu live CD to run fdisk. The live CD includes Gparted. Why would the OP need to download the gparted CD as well?

kad78
July 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
The results of sudo fdisk -l

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1318 15595 114688035 b W95 FAT32
/dev/sda2 * 15596 29423 111073280 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 29424 38914 76229546+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 38587 38914 2620416 dd Unknown
sda5 is the partition containing 'Media Direct'. sda3 is an extended partion containing 70GiB of unallocated space (where ubuntu is hiding) and media direct is contained. sda1 is just used for storage. sda2 contains windows 7.

kad78
July 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I managed to retrieve my data and I then reinstalled ubuntu. As with windows installed first this time the process was easier; so i have no problem now.

mandicoot
August 9th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hi all,

I had the same problem - I had an extended partition which contained ~ and /
(home and boot partitions)

I installed Windows 7, assuming that though I would injure grub it wouldn't be fatal - I would easily be able to repair it.

Alas, I had been overconfident, and like the OP I have ended up with an extended partition that is listed in gparted as "unallocated". I'm fairly resigned to reinstalling, first Win7 and then Ubuntu, but first I'd like to be able to get my data out of the stealthed ubuntu in the extended partition. I see that the OP managed to get his data back, can anybody tell me how to do this please?

stlsaint
August 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM
EASYBCD is used for vista not for GRUB!!

merlinus
August 9th, 2009, 11:41 PM
You might try testdisk to recover the partition.

jhahoneyk
February 10th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Happened to me too. Damn whoever wrote the windows setup. First they delete GRUB, and now they corrupt ext filesystem.

kad78
June 22nd, 2010, 08:51 AM
I stumbled across this thread again and realised that I forgot to post back. I did indeed use testDisk to recover the partition, and then I reinstalled ubuntu again. TestDisk works very well thank you.

bruno9779
June 22nd, 2010, 09:06 AM
The same happened to me some months ago when I tried to install win7

Win7 uses 2 primary partitions, and disregards your previous setup for the choice of the second one.

The problem I run into was actually worse, as I already had 3 primary partitions, and win7 tried to create a total of 5 (legacy limit is 4)

Testdisk saved most of my data, and I haven't felt like trying to install win7 again. Such a bad and painful first experience with it has completely put me off.

So, that complementary (my work) Win7 Ultimate disk has found a new home in the rubbish bin