PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Your operating system is not supported by Comcast's installation Wizard.

flylehe
July 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Hi,
I am sharing my neighbour's wireless network. I get this weired problem tonight in Firefox

Your operating system is not supported by Comcast's installation Wizard.
Please call 1-800-COMCASt to setup your account.

I am using Ubuntu8.10 which had no problem with the wireless network until tonight. Now I temporarily move somewhere else and I can use another wireless network.
I wonder how this happen and what I should do with my neighbour's wireless network?
Thanks and regards!

running_rabbit07
July 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Hi,
I am sharing my neighbour's wireless network. I get this weired problem tonight in Firefox

I am using Ubuntu8.10 which had no problem with the wireless network until tonight. Now I temporarily move somewhere else and I can use another wireless network.
I wonder how this happen and what I should do with my neighbour's wireless network?
Thanks and regards!

If your neighbor knows you are sharing then you should ask him or her if he or she paid their bill. That is usually the case when the provider's help screen comes up.

If they don't know you are boring service then it could be they changed their security settings but most likely they didn't pay the bill.

If you are stealing internet service.[-(

HotShotDJ
July 14th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I am a Comcast HSI user, and I received this screen twice in all the time I've had the service:

When I first was connected to Comcast -- A phone call to tech. support corrected the issue.
When I did not pay my bill on time. :oops: Paying my bill corrected the issue.

I suspect the second issue is what you are experiencing. Since you are sharing your neighbor's internet connection, then it is perfectly appropriate for you to ask him/her what he has been doing with the part of the bill that you've been paying to him/her.

If you have been using their connection with their permission, but not paying them, then you should thank them for the free service they had been providing. Perhaps offer to have Comcast hook up your home/apartment and let your neighbor leach off of you for an equivalent amount of time -- or at least until their finances improve so they can reconnect their own service. That seems fair to me.

If you were using their connection without their permission (of course, that isn't sharing, that is stealing), then just thank your lucky stars that you didn't get caught and call Comcast and get your own service the legitimate way.