PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater's new album rocks.

Luke has no name
July 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Fact.

RATM_Owns
July 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Black Clouds & Silver Linings?

Luke has no name
July 14th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Black Clouds & Silver Linings?

Yes.

Dimitriid
July 14th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Pretty damn good. Can't wait until they tour with it near me.

kk0sse54
July 14th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Dream Theater's new album rocks

Indeed it does. :)

matthew.ball
July 14th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Nice didn't realise there were many DT fans here (awesome).

Personally, I compare it to Systematic Chaos. Which isn't as their good as their previous efforts, but it's pretty solid on its own... (or rather, it's no Images and Words).

reyfer
July 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Just got my Special Edition (3 CDs), and I am LOVING it :guitar::guitar:

.Maleficus.
July 14th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Just got my Special Edition (3 CDs), and I am LOVING it :guitar::guitar:
I got mine on June 23rd, the day it came out :D.

Though they seem to be moving farther and farther from their old style, it's still a great album. This will probably sound like a cliche Dream Theater fan, but I really want another Images and Words. I listened through it a couple times on my drive to Minnesota to tour the university and every time it blew my mind a little more. Their newer, heavier stuff (Train of Thought and on) is still awesome but I'd like to see some more of their older stuff.

Or, Liquid Tension Experiment style instruments with vocals. Paradigm Shift + James LaBrie = :guitar:.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I'll be attending Progressive Nation in Milwaukee, WI on August 23rd. For those who don't know who's playing, it's going to be Dream Theater, Beardfish, Zappa plays Zappa and Pain of Salvation. I originally wanted to go to see Dream Theater but when I found out Pain of Salvation was going to be there, I was sold. They haven't done a US tour for 5 years so I wasn't about to miss my chance :). If any of you Dream Theater fans haven't heard any Pain of Salvation, check them out. Instrumentally, they aren't as technical as Dream Theater but they are an incredible band. One of my top 5 of all time.

agel1
July 14th, 2009, 03:58 AM
i like dream theater, but why their tickets are so expensive.?

i live in miami and i went last year to a dream theater concert and was like $50, rock is supposed to be cheaper than mainstream music

.Maleficus.
July 14th, 2009, 04:07 AM
i like dream theater, but why their tickets are so expensive.?

i live in miami and i went last year to a dream theater concert and was like $50, rock is supposed to be cheaper than mainstream music
My ticket to Progressive Nation was $45 I believe, Porcupine Tree was $30 and Ozzfest 2006 was $35. My sister went to Regina Specktor and Hansen and I think both of those were around $35-40, and I'd consider them pretty mainstream... I don't really know though. But I'd gladly pay $50 to go see Dream Theater another time :D. One kid I know is going to Progressive Nation once in Minneapolis and then again in Chicago (I think those are the locations). I want to punch him.

matthew.ball
July 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM
When they came to Aus a few years back, it was like $80 for a ticket, but the show was 3+ hours of Dream Theater (no support bands).

RATM_Owns
July 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
My favorite track from it is A Rite of Passage.

Though I can't wait for a new Tool album. O_O

RiceMonster
July 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Is there 10 minute long section of songs with no other point other than to show how many time signatures they can play in? If so, I'm not interested.

I used to be a huge fan. I own 3 of their albums, and I've seen them live before. Some stuff is good, and other stuff is just pointless. It's like "I get it, you're good at your instruments."

Simian Man
July 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Percentage of people who like Dream Theater:

100% | ___
| | |
| | |
50% | | |
| | |
| | | ___
| | | | |
0% ------------------------------
Musicians Non-Musicians

Luckily I am a musician :).

RiceMonster
July 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM

100% | ___
| | |
| | |
50% | | |
| | |
| | | ___
| | | | |
Musicians Non-Musicians

True. However, I'm a musicians as well. I primarily play guitar, but I also play bass, drums and piano.

Sand & Mercury
July 14th, 2009, 03:01 PM

100% | ___
| | |
| | |
50% | | |
| | |
| | | ___
| | | | |
Musicians Non-Musicians

True :lol:

DT are incredibly skilled instrument players, but I fear for their abilities as actual songwriters. I liked them up until Systematic Chaos and then fell off the wagon completely. When Dream and Day Unite up to Awake are all great albums, then somewhere along the way everything they made seemed to be less about writing meaningful songs and performing them with conviction, and more about "MIKE PORTNOY ON DRUMS! DIDDLY DOOM DOOB DOOB BOOM DIDDLY DIDDLY TISH. JOHN PETRUCCI AND JOHN MYUNG, BASS & GIT EXTRAORDINAIRES! WANK WANK WANK SLAP SLAP SLAP. LOOK AT HOW SKILLFULLY HE SWEEPS IN THAT PETATONIC SCALE!"

And ever since then I've given them a wide berth. They seem to have joined the Yngwie Malmsteen school of guitar masturbation just for the sake of showing off. Music with no soul.

That said, I have not heard this newie. Maybe it's better.

matthew.ball
July 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
They're still stuck in metal-head world (not that it's bad, but you know, they can do better :P (this coming from a metal-head)) - though it does have a beautiful homage to Queen (well, Brian May).
The Count of Tuscany's final 6 minutes are probably the highlight of the album for me. The final song in the AA-suite was rather disappointing, but I guess only because this means it's over (it combines the previous themes pretty damn well).

The lyrics are just terrible (if only Myung could write lyrics again), but James LaBrie is getting back to top-form, so I guess that's a good thing.

koleoptero
July 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
(or rather, it's no Images and Words).

That's a nice description for 99% of all progressive metal/rock albums out there. :lolflag:

Though I can't wait for a new Tool album. O_O

Me too.