PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pairing Apple Wireless keyboard (aluminum) using console in Jaunty

Fylke
July 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I've successfully paired the Apple wireless keyboard to my laptop using a bluetooth dongle. The laptop is running Jaunty with bluez 4.23. However, when I attempt to pair the same keyboard to the same bluetooth dongle on my HTPC that is also running Jaunty, albeit a stripped version (it's running XBMC Live that uses a stripped Jaunty as OS) I can't get it to pair. And oh, it also uses the very same version of bluez.

So I guess what I need is someone holding my hand and telling me what the Bluez Gnome applet does behind the scenes that I can't reproduce on the command line (no fancy gnome applet in the stripped Jaunty of course).

What I've tried:
hcitool scan -- Finds the keyboard okay
sudo hcitool cc <MAC> -- Gives me a new prompt, just as if it succeeded pairing only I can't type anything

I also tried a lot of hidd solutions but since it works on the laptop that doesn't have hidd installed I'm that's not the way to go.

I also checked the /etc/default/bluetooth settings file on the laptop after the pairing and it doesn't contain anything new. So I guess I should be able to get it to pair without modifying it.

How can I check if it has succeeded in pairing? hcitool dev doesn't give anything on the laptop when the keyboard is paired.

asker
July 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I am caving the same exact problem with my keyboard. Check and see if your caps lock key works after its "paired," mine doesn't. Its as if the keyboard just shuts off.

Fylke
July 15th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Check and see if your caps lock key works after its "paired," mine doesn't. Its as if the keyboard just shuts off.

Caps lock works fine when paired with the laptop (using the applet to pair).

I found where the bluetooth pairing data is kept (in /var/lib/bluetooth) and I thought I'd try and copy that to my HTPC since the environment is exactly the same. It's worth a shot at least =)