PDA

View Full Version : Use for old laptop

PurposeOfReason
July 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I have a laptop I was planning on selling, but the XP partition got corrupted and the recovery process fails, thus no windows on it and I probably wouldn't be able to sell or donate it without windows. I have my desktop and a file server/torrent slave. I'm at a complete loss considering I can't just part it.

15.4" screen
1.8Ghz cpu
1.5GB Ram
100GB HDD

Oh, not to advertise but if anybody wanted it. . . :shifty:

mamamia88
July 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
install ubuntu on it and use it for basic web surfing while watching tv.

dragos240
July 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Small file/web server?

PurposeOfReason
July 14th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I don't have, or watch, TV. In fact, I live in a 400sq ft box. If I'm ever too lazy to get to my desk something is horribly wrong. lol. Already have a file server too.

dragos240
July 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Well, if you don't find a use for it, just mail it to Jaime Heineman, and he'll blow it up on TV. :D

mamamia88
July 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM
lol guess you could give it too me then looking for a smaller laptop to take to college mine is currently 17"

pat23_2007
July 14th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I have a laptop I was planning on selling, but the XP partition got corrupted and the recovery process fails, thus no windows on it and I probably wouldn't be able to sell or donate it without windows. I have my desktop and a file server/torrent slave. I'm at a complete loss considering I can't just part it.

15.4" screen
1.8Ghz cpu
1.5GB Ram
100GB HDD

Oh, not to advertise but if anybody wanted it. . . :shifty:

I would buy it from you if you wanted to? ):P

PurposeOfReason
July 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I would buy it from you if you wanted to? ):P
Make me an offer, lol. Turns out the cpu is 1.73Ghz though. Ram is right though.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VGN-FS840-Laptop-Pentium-Processor/dp/B000DZUZOI

lisati
July 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Sounds like it could be good for playing round with Ubuntu or some other distro, particularly if recovering Windows doesn't work for whatever reason. I've successfully used Ubuntu on a laptop with less impressive specs.

pat23_2007
July 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
make me an offer, lol. Turns out the cpu is 1.73ghz though. Ram is right though.
http://www.amazon.com/sony-vgn-fs840-laptop-pentium-processor/dp/b000dzuzoi

$250 - $300 usd?

Gizenshya
July 14th, 2009, 01:52 AM
The bytes on the drive aren't important. The Os is licensed to the computer itself. Just grab any XP disc and install from it, using the product key printed on the sticker that should be affixed somewhere on the laptop. I would suggest bootstrapping, though. but that's just me.

Anyway, you still have a perfectly valid legal license to the software, so don't waste it.

If you don't have an XP disc or backup, then call microsoft or your laptop manufacturer. you should be able to find one from a *friend* or something, though. Remember, the disc itself means nothing, it is the license key, and you have a valid one.

anyway, do that and you're good to go.

PurposeOfReason
July 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
The bytes on the drive aren't important. The Os is licensed to the computer itself. Just grab any XP disc and install from it, using the product key printed on the sticker that should be affixed somewhere on the laptop. I would suggest bootstrapping, though. but that's just me.

Anyway, you still have a perfectly valid legal license to the software, so don't waste it.

If you don't have an XP disc or backup, then call microsoft or your laptop manufacturer. you should be able to find one from a *friend* or something, though. Remember, the disc itself means nothing, it is the license key, and you have a valid one.

anyway, do that and you're good to go.
That's not it because I can install XP just fine. It's going through drivers, all the crud the install comes with (it's a dell cd :/). So yeah, if I really wanted to I could install just fine.

Pat, you have a PM.

collinp
July 14th, 2009, 02:06 AM
You could install most any distro on it and play with that. Or you could part it and use them in other computers, but I doubt you want to do that.

robert shearer
July 14th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I don't have, or watch, TV.

Way to go. There are so few of us nowadays.

Went cold turkey in 1993. No TV since then :).

Irihapeti
July 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Way to go. There are so few of us nowadays.

Went cold turkey in 1993. No TV since then :).

You too, eh? I never had a TV until 3 years ago, when my son gave me an old one. I found I almost never watched it, so I gave it away when I moved.

On topic:
As for old laptops, I have an old Toshiba A10 with Hardy on it. I use it for experimenting with things and playing LAN games such as Atlantik. I occasionally try out other distros that don't need more than 256 MB of RAM.