PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Mail Server Rude support??? give your opinion !!!

pmla
July 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
I have been using Citadel email server for the past 2 years. The software is actually easy to install and does more or less what is supposed to. Although it lacks many of the functionalities present in others.
http://www.citadel.org

The thing is that I started to use their "support forum" which is in a really bad format BBS like maybe 5 months back.
http://uncensored.citadel.org:8080

And I think the software maintainers are really rude and obnoxious addressing users, and constantly using expressions, this is GPL with don't you do that yourself, why don't you contribute if something is missing or some improvement is needed.

Here are some examples from their BBS support:
Mon Jul 13 2009 03:58:20 PM EDT from dothebart

do you know whats the biggest advance in FLOSS? It doesn't hunt and follow comercial timelines and tries to release code when its ready for primetime.

do you know whats one of the biggest drawbacks in FLOSS? It doesn't hunt and follow comercial timelines and isn't released when you whish it would be.

But!

you can help!

follow SVN Head on your installation, use for example Valgrind to find bugs and report them back to us, so the next release comes earlier.

Mon Jul 13 2009 06:19:09 PM EDT from dothebart

Thanks. your criticism will arive right after your first contribution.

"Remember, we're not running a business on this. We're doing this for fun. For that reason probably none of us has any motivation to get some exchangeserver installed, running, filled with test data, and write an integrated solution to move its content over to citadel."

I perfectly understand that. Specially the part that it's not a business and how hard it is. About the motivation, I also understand, but you guys have to realize that your product is excellent, and because of that you guys already have a huge bunch of citadel server users. Hard work and improving as nothing to do with motivation, you guys also have to think about all the users you already have and their needs. That's why you guys are working in the active directory connection. The exchange migration is just another step forward.

Referring to zimbra again. Their migration tool is not free. Just an idea, Why not making a separated tool from citadel server (but fully compatible) that you guys could sell just for this huge exchange market?. I can tell you right now without any dough that my company would buy it if the price is not outrageous. And like my company many others would because 70% or more small to medium size organizations are using exchange and are tired of microsoft BS prices and licences fees.

Althout the software is free and open source GPL, the migration tool for exchange would be payed. I don't see anything strange there!!!!

Just google, many users now days are preferring zimbra because of that, exchange and active directory integration. That's the main reason.

My company as 80 exchange users do you know how much money goes into microsoft pockets per year? for us it would not be a problem to buy a migration tool once and kill microsoft.

"We're also not aiming at being an exchange snap in replacement and trying to imitate it, as you might have noticed, there always is some citadel way to do it. It might not be obvious for an exchange user, but it feels good for us to do it that way."

You guys are not aiming but your product is exactly that. An exchange killer for small to medium size organizations. Your product is excellent and perfect for that, either you guys like it or want it or not :)

so.. there won't be a point + click way, unless you make it happen. Btw, regular expressions and tools like sed make a good roundup in an admins skillset."

If I could I would believe me, I'm a laywer and just a medium/poor ubuntu user that came out of the ubuntu desktop version with GUI to ubuntu server using SSH 6 months ago and loving it.
I guess we'd all be happy to hear about your experiences integrating

for example http://freshmeat.net/projects/adtool

with one of these:

http://www.citadel.org/doku.php/faq:favoriteclient:migrating_mail_into_citadel

with some lines of bash / sed /awk / php / perl / c# / visual basic... whatever your favourite scripting language might be.
This isn't Oracle or Microsoft, my friend. Our resources are extremely limited, and by leading the effort to get this third-party product interoperating with the Citadel server properly, you will have done your part to contribute something to the community. We will be happy to provide all of the information required and assist in troubleshooting, including making adjustments to the server side code if necessary.

If this is not palatable to you, we will cheerfully refund every penny you paid for the Citadel system.

These are just a few of the ones I was involved, there are more from other users that I do not which to bring forward. But they are readable in their BBS.

Is this normal user addressing attitude?

artcancro
August 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The spirit of this position is appropriate, but he could have expressed it in gentler words. Considering that he is not a native English speaker you should cut him some slack.

pmla
August 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM
The spirit of this position is appropriate, but he could have expressed it in gentler words. Considering that he is not a native English speaker you should cut him some slack.

:D Words from a Citadel project leader. Rest my case :P Considering that your support lacks social skills we shall cut you some slack.

running_rabbit07
August 7th, 2009, 01:17 AM
What does this thread have to do with Installations & Upgrades?

Sef
August 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Moved to community cafe.

cammin
August 9th, 2009, 08:13 AM
They're not being rude, you're just mad that you didn't get what you want.

But you can keep annoying them until they no longer want to work on the product. Then you're left with having to do all the work yourself, instead of just implementing the features you wanted.

Frankly, I think they were too nice about it.