PDA

View Full Version : lastfm not working?

timzak
July 13th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I normally use vagalume as my lastfm client. The last few times I loaded it, it wouldn't play any music. I assumed lastfm did something to break vagalume, so I logged on to last.fm from firefox and it won't play my library from there either. I can search individual songs and play but the library won't play anymore. Does anyone have any insight on this? I tried searching google and didn't find any breaking news...

banjobacon
July 14th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I was able to play Last.FM radio using Rhythmbox, but not through my browser. Perhaps just a momentary glitch?

EDIT: My internet connection at the moment is pretty unreliable, so I don't know if this a coincidence or not, but I was able to listen to Last.FM on Firefox when I disabled AdBlock.

timzak
July 14th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Thanks, I confirmed that disabling adblock allows lastfm to play. It appears to be specific to firefox 3.5.

timzak
July 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
vagalume is still broken. Anyone else using vagalume? I can play my library through firefox with adblock disabled, but vagalume stopped working. When I launch it, it starts cycling through every song in my library (the album art) but never actually plays any songs.

Dawei87
July 16th, 2009, 04:30 AM
a couple days ago lastfm broke on everything for me. i was using banshee, it wont play a song now. i tried rhythmbox. at first it didnt work, but after i hunted down an update it will play a few songs in the list but it inevitably stops and reports that it cannot open the content. i tried the last.fm client (same performance as updated rhythmbox), and last-exit and vagalune. the last two did not work at all. i can play *some* stuff online in a browser, but it refuses to play my loved tracks, complaining about how i dont have enough variety of music in there (even though i have hundreds of tracks by various artist and it played fine up untill a few days ago and rhythmbox will still play a few loved tracks before stopping.) so yea, if anyone knows what is wrong i'd like to be informed. this whole thing is kinda aggravating...

FuturePilot
July 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I noticed the other day I couldn't play anything from last.fm through Banshee. I'll have to check again if it's still not working. But now I know I'm not the only one at least.

Edit: Still not working.

timzak
July 20th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Vagalume still is not working either. I tried downloading the Last.fm client from 9.04 repositories (actual client from lastfm) and it works fine. So it appears Lastfm made some change that breaks 3rd party clients.

The only reason I prefer Vagalume to Lastfm's own client is it is much lighter weight, with fewer dependencies. Oh well...

Sealbhach
July 20th, 2009, 05:39 PM
It still works with Rhythmbox.

Dawei87
July 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
It still works with Rhythmbox.

just curious, which version of rhytmbox are you using? if it is 12.3 thats good news. im using 12 and it stops after a couple songs.

Sealbhach
July 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
just curious, which version of rhytmbox are you using? if it is 12.3 thats good news. im using 12 and it stops after a couple songs.

I've got 12.0 but I only played one song to try it.

Zlatan
July 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM
last.fm was getting to payed subscriptions in several countries, you could want to check that

Grishka
July 21st, 2009, 03:29 PM
last.fm was getting to payed subscriptions in several countries, you could want to check that

not in SEVERAL countries, but in ALL countries but UK, Germany and USA.

koleoptero
July 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Looks like last.fm has restricted streaming music to subscribers only. :(

Zlatan
July 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
not in SEVERAL countries, but in ALL countries but UK, Germany and USA.

sorry, was not checking last.fm lately for particular reason:)

not to create another thread- any alternatives to last.fm?
jamendo, anything else?

rotwang888
July 21st, 2009, 11:30 PM
sorry, was not checking last.fm lately for particular reason:)

not to create another thread- any alternatives to last.fm?
jamendo, anything else?

Libre.fm for tracking plays, maybe Pandora for "radio", although I think they now have audio ads.

Also at the risk of derailing this, but has anyone gotten Amarok 1.4.10 to scrobble? I hate to give it up.

FuturePilot
July 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Yep, last.fm changed their API. See http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=541227 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/banshee/+bug/397674

HappinessNow
July 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Last.fm has never worked for me.

MasterNetra
July 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
Pandora only gifts you with 40 hours of music a month for free accounts. :/ There is Finetune at Finetune.com though I never could get its desktop player to work in Ubuntu, (www.finetune.com/desktop) for the player, it uses adobe air...to install, got it to install but crashes when you try to start it. So idk. Maybe one of you may have better luck.