PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] making your own live dvd

camaron1
July 13th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I've tried to use REMASTERSYS to create a live cd of my ubuntu installation (9.4 with all added software, but not tones and leaving out my personal data)I've tried twice (command line and UI) and each time after well over an hour of the process it tells me that the iso file is too big. When I go and check what it is like is 30 gigas!! which no way is possible for my install. So the question is: is there any other tool to make a bootable dvd of my installation for back-up porposes?

I've googled it but haven't found anything. I'm not looking for a backup tool for my files. It is a live dvd of my installation (without home folder) that I'd like to get

Thanks

lindsay7
July 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Remastersys can only do about 5 gigs or so at the most. I have only been able to use it when I have had a clean install and my home directory is empty. Once I start putting upgrades and apps on my system Remastersys always says the file is too big. This sucks as I really like the Remastersys concept.

I use Acronis Home to back up my drives and this works great with Ubuntu.

camaron1
July 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Remastersys can only do about 5 gigs or so at the most. I have only been able to use it when I have had a clean install and my home directory is empty. Once I start putting upgrades and apps on my system Remastersys always says the file is too big. This sucks as I really like the Remastersys concept.

I use Acronis Home to back up my drives and this works great with Ubuntu.

Thanks for that, I've just checked their site and tomorrow will download it and see what it is like

lindsay7
July 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM
The latest edition is Acronis True Image Home 2009. It can be installed under Windows and if you have a dual boot system with Ubuntu or and Linux, it can be run form there. If you just have Ubuntu only then you use it like a live cd (it will boot your system) and you can run it from there. You can make back up copies of files, partitions, or whole drives (one or more). Also this is a great tool for cloning drives.

You can get a trial version on there web site, and buy it from them, but it is cheaper from Newegg or Tiger Direct. I have used this program for the past two years and it has saved my butt many times.