PDA

View Full Version : Cars broken into...Best Home Surveillance Software for Linux?

killabee44
July 13th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Hi all,

My girlfriend's car and a few others have been getting broken into in her neighbourhood. This has been going on for a period of months.

I am concerned and would like to know if there is any reliable linux surveillance software that you guys could recommend. I have an old IBM T21 laptop that I can use.

So far I have found:

http://www.zoneminder.com/

It seems good, but I was wondering what you guys were using. I also would need to buy a camera. Something not too expensive that can do the job (I hope).

Thanks!

wirepuller134
July 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
We use Zoneminder quite a bit with no issues. On their shop page there are links to websites to purchase supported hardware.

drawkcab
July 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
The key to effective surveillence is not actually surveilling but in advertising the fact that you are surveilling.

If you have a hidden camera you may snatch a clear image of the criminal, but only after the fact. The police are hardly going to devote resources to hunting down the guy that broke your window and stole your mp3 player.

This is why it is often more cost-effective for stores without dedicated loss-pervention personell to invest in a number of conspiculously-placed dummy cameras while placing signs around the store reminding people that they are under surveillance. If you can create that belief in the would-be criminal's mind, he will police himself prior to commiting the crime which is the best possible outcome.

So unless you're going to constantly watch that camera and then run out into the street with a taser the moment someone approaches the car, the better bet would be to invest in a car security system with a big flashing light and stickers on the windows.

LowSky
July 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM
car security systems dont work, at least in populated areas, where they are always going off for no reason.

camera's can help, but it will need to be good images to catch a crook. and it wont help when they break your cars windows and steal whatever.

better off not keeping expensive stuff in your car. I've learned that the hard way..

LookTJ
July 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM
The key to effective surveillance is not actually surveilling but in advertising the fact that you have surveillance on site. 24/7!
[corrected few mistakes]
/snip

This

drawkcab
July 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM
better off not keeping expensive stuff in your car. I've learned that the hard way..

Good point ^^^. If a criminal doesn't find anything in your car, they're likely to leave it alone next time around.

I lost my laptop a year ago. Someone broke into my car in the middle of Target parking lot during the afternoon, security cameras and all. Homeowner's insurance will cover the loss, Auto insurance the damage to the car.