PDA

View Full Version : uses for spare parts/PC

markp1989
July 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have a few spare pc parts that i would like to put to use:

I recently updated my Desktop, and server/media pc, and have the following parts spare:

Intel Celeron D 3.2ghz
2*1gb DDR ram
1gb ddr2 ram
80gb sata hard drive
160gb Sata hard drive
500gb sata harddrive
Nvidia FX5500 PCI
Xpower 480W PSU
OCZ vanquisher Cooler
Spare caser

All i need is a MB, which i can get for about £30 from ebuyer and i will have a computer ready to go. i just dont want to spend some money that will not be used, so i just need some usage suggestions.

I was thinking of setting up a gaming pc to play old N64 games or something similar to that.

any suggested uses for a spare pc will be appreciated :D

Thanks Markp1989

Gizenshya
July 13th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have several spare PC's. They just sit there, though. I do use them when I don't want to haul my main one to where ever, though.

I prefer to use my main one most of the time, as extra computers just mean extra on the electricity bill. I do fire up two at a time for stuff like burning DVD's and compressing files, though.

However, you could...

turn it into a gaming computer, like you mentioned.

One thing I'm going to do is use some of them for distro testing. I've downloaded about a dozen or more distros in the last couple days (all that I could find that seemed interesting), and I can't wait to start playing with them. It might end up sucking, though, because I won't have an internet connection to use to get files I might need.

Use it as a file server (or web server).

Keep it as computer dedicated to backups.

can't think of any more atm...

ThisEndlessFall
July 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM
eBay?

Out of curiosity, what MB is the GeForce 5500?

PurposeOfReason
July 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Just keep it. I have a lot of parts just lying around. You never know when you might need them, especially if you build enough computers.

cariboo
July 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
You have enough parts there to build a fairly decent file server, you could even use it for streaming media.

Dark Aspect
July 14th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Out of curiosity, what MB is the GeForce 5500?

Probably 128 MB, most GeForce 5500 that I can find on the web are no more than 256 MB.

You have enough parts there to build a fairly decent file server, you could even use it for streaming media.

+1

Except the file server part, 740 GB max is rather small for that. At least for me, I've already used 600 GB off my hard drive.

markp1989
July 14th, 2009, 01:17 AM
The file server idea is pretty cool, i already have a file server / media pc / torrent slave set up.

the gpu i have is only 128mb

thanks for all the responses, keep them coming :)

edit: i was thinking i already have both my pcs folding, i couold set up this computer with no hard drives, and netboot it to food, but im not sure how many ppd i will get , and if it will be worth the power it will use.

HappyFeet
July 14th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Give the parts to me!

spcwingo
July 14th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I would build a media/retro-game (emulators) machine hooked up directly to the TV.

earthpigg
July 14th, 2009, 05:25 AM
set the following goal:

'make this old PC made from used parts run better than my PC with upgraded hardware.'

what 'better' means to you is, of course, entirely up to you. but it will be nice to have a sandbox where you can be completely reckless whenever you feel like it, without having to worry about the hassle of backing up or reinstalling unless you feel like it.

once you get it to run better, then you know what to replace the software currently on your upgraded PC with.

The Real Dave
July 15th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I have a few spare pc parts that i would like to put to use:

I recently updated my Desktop, and server/media pc, and have the following parts spare:

Intel Celeron D 3.2ghz
2*1gb DDR ram
1gb ddr2 ram
80gb sata hard drive
160gb Sata hard drive
500gb sata harddrive
Nvidia FX5500 PCI
Xpower 480W PSU
OCZ vanquisher Cooler
Spare caser

All i need is a MB, which i can get for about £30 from ebuyer and i will have a computer ready to go. i just dont want to spend some money that will not be used, so i just need some usage suggestions.

I was thinking of setting up a gaming pc to play old N64 games or something similar to that.

any suggested uses for a spare pc will be appreciated :D

Thanks Markp1989

I get donated unwanted computers, so usually have a steady supply of spare parts, if usually old, and am sometimes at a lose of what to do with em.

I've built the perfect server for my needs, 1.7Ghz PIV, 512Mb DDR, 2*250Gb SATAII HDD's in RAID0, FreeNAS, nice and quiet too.

I've built a backup computer, 2.6Ghz Celeron, 512Mb DDR, 160Gb IDE.

I've even rebuilt a few computers, given em to my cousins, and neighbours.

But still, I've alot of parts, from 6-160Gb HDDs, mobos, and various CPU combos (though very few graphics cards, most of the computers I get have onboard).

Mostly, I just end up storing em, I cant bare to throw them out :lolflag: So, its shoeboxes for me :D

markp1989
July 15th, 2009, 12:11 AM
set the following goal:

'make this old PC made from used parts run better than my PC with upgraded hardware.'

what 'better' means to you is, of course, entirely up to you. but it will be nice to have a sandbox where you can be completely reckless whenever you feel like it, without having to worry about the hassle of backing up or reinstalling unless you feel like it.

once you get it to run better, then you know what to replace the software currently on your upgraded PC with.

I quite like this 1, cud use it to try linux from scratch or something else complicated. or i cud set it up with gentoo or something like that