PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from UBUNTU 8.10 to 9.04 via VNC

bl305
July 13th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Dear Ubuntu Users,

I tried to upgrade my ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 via VNC. (I use this PC without monitor, only for a server)

The upgrade was seemingly succesfull via VNC but unfortunatelly at the and of the installation I had to restart the PC. After restart I recognised that the VNC has been disabled. I had to connect my PC to a monitor in order to allow VNC but I the system is not able to load the desktop environment. Samba server is working continously very well.

Does someone any idea how could I get back my ubuntu desktop?

L.B.

unlimitedz
July 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Do you get a login prompt? if not can you access your other TTY's? (ctrl+alt+f1, f2, etc)?

bl305
July 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM
yes, I have a login prompt! After loging on in desktop environment while loading the graphical thing the Operating system jumps back to the login window.

At the login window I have the possibility to select different login mode. The ssh is working, but this way I only have a command prompt.

This command prompt could be very good for repairing the OS. Network mode is also working from this command prompt.

L.B.

unlimitedz
July 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
OK, drop to TTY1 and login. then make a backup of your xorg.conf file (\etc\X11\xorg.conf)

run sudo gdm stop

and then run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follow the onscreen prompts. Once finished do

sudo gdm start

you may have to do sudo startx also, not sure

switch back to TTY7 and see if anything is different. You may need to reboot first.

If this ends up breaking it, revert back to the old xorg.conf file.

bl305
July 13th, 2009, 09:09 PM
OK, drop to TTY1 and login. then make a backup of your xorg.conf file (\etc\X11\xorg.conf)

run sudo gdm stop

and then run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Follow the onscreen prompts. Once finished do

sudo gdm start

you may have to do sudo startx also, not sure

switch back to TTY7 and see if anything is different. You may need to reboot first.

If this ends up breaking it, revert back to the old xorg.conf file.

Thx, I try it out...

bl305
July 14th, 2009, 06:15 AM
unfortunately it does not work. I think the the only solution could be the reformat and reinstall the system...

Thx, I try it out...