PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Errors compiling program galfit from source (C compiler issue?)

Shockburner
July 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, just a few weeks in.

Anyways I have been unsuccessfully trying to compile a program called “galfit” which was written in C. Whenever I try to compile it I get several errors (listed below) that seem to be relate to my C complier or gcc. I have already installed “build-essential” and I have the latest version of gcc. Galfit is a relativity old program and and it is possible that my version of gcc is too new. When I compile galfit (using “make”) it does create a binary, however it does not work properly. Does anybody have any ideas how to solve my problem?

EDIT: I have successfully compiled this program on a computer at work which has some version of redhat and GCC 3.4.6 but not on my Ubuntu :( .

galfit.c: In function ‘blank_img’:
galfit.c:284: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 3 has type ‘int *’
galfit.c:284: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 4 has type ‘int *’
galfit.c:284: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 5 has type ‘int *’
galfit.c:284: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 6 has type ‘int *’

read_input.c: In function ‘checkpar’:
read_input.c:130: warning: format ‘%s’ expects type ‘char *’, but argument 4 has type ‘char (*)[1025]’
read_input.c:150: warning: format ‘%s’ expects type ‘char *’, but argument 4 has type ‘char (*)[10]’

nrutil.c: In function ‘nrerror’:
nrutil.c:37: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

outmodel.c: In function ‘outmodel’:
outmodel.c:92: warning: format not a string literal and no format arguments

keypoll.c: In function ‘keypoll’:
keypoll.c:27: warning: ignoring return value of ‘scanf’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

fourier.c: In function ‘fourier_pars’:
fourier.c:18: warning: format ‘%c’ expects type ‘char *’, but argument 3 has type ‘char (*)[10]’

edgedisk.c: In function ‘edgedisk’:
edgedisk.c:150: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘fminf’

bending.c: In function ‘bending_pars’:
bending.c:18: warning: format ‘%c’ expects type ‘char *’, but argument 3 has type ‘char (*)[10]’

initcurses.c: In function ‘initcurses’:
initcurses.c:65: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
initcurses.c: In function ‘port_search’:
initcurses.c:112: warning: format ‘%s’ expects type ‘char *’, but argument 4 has type ‘char (*)[200]’
initcurses.c:103: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
initcurses.c:120: warning: ignoring return value of ‘system’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result

Partyboi2
July 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hi, try using the binary one for debian, download it from here (http://users.ociw.edu/peng/work/galfit/galfit-debian.tar)
then change into the directory where the downloaded file is and extract it.

tar xvzf galfit-debian.tar
Then make the extracted file executable

chmod +x galfitthen start it with

./galfit

renbla
July 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah... Using deb is always the best option if you are not a developer :lolflag:

Shockburner
July 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM
I tried that and it wasn't working for me but I was able to compile the source by using GCC 3.4 and that worked.