PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Text based installation and dual boot

mohdniyas
July 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hello,

I have to load ubuntu into an XP machine with 256Mb RAM..My previous experience is , ubuntu live cd will not install on 256Mb RAM pc. So can u pls tell, how to do a text install??? I already downloaded the Alternate install CD..Whether installation screens are same with GUI installation?? ( I have installed Graphic install of 8.04 LTS on another systems) And will i be able to dual boot with Win XP?? after text based installation... or in worst case will i be able to restore XP...Pls clarify..Thanks..

csabo2
July 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
even with 256 you may have problems with alternate install. I would download the mini iso and build the system that way.

Nburnes
July 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't Xubuntu work better on your system?

mohdniyas
July 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Pls tell me, minimal cd or Xubuntu will allow me to dual boot??? with Win XP. Whether the set up is same as that of ubuntu???

louieb
July 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
The text based installer is great. - Built by Debian, been around for years, pretty much bug free, same questions as the live CD installer. (language,time zone,...) Will set up dual boot - just like the live CD.

The best walk-through I've found on how to use it Illustrated Dual Boot Site (http://members.iinet.net/%7Eherman546/index.html)

BTW the mini install CD (csabo2 post) uses the same text based installer as the alternated CD. The only diffrence it downloads packages from the net at install time.