PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Ubuntu Studio

Phrixus
July 13th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Okay, everyone's been really helpful so far and I have few more newbie questions:
- Is Ubuntu Studio a program that you add or a different version of the operating system geared toward music recording and so forth?
- And if i don't have a dvd burner, can i install it by downloading it to my external hard drive? what other ways are there to install it?
- what's your experience with the Studio like? I've only used Cakewalk so I don't know what to expect in terms of audio interface compatibility, latency issues, available plug ins and things like that.

thanks everyone!

Tibuda
July 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ubuntu Studio is a Ubuntu derivative with some applications pre-installed (Inkscape, Blender, PiTiVi, Kino, Cinepaint). I think it has a customized kernel, but I'm not sure.

snowpine
July 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
If you already have a working Ubuntu install, you can easily convert it to Ubuntu Studio.

Open the Synaptic Package Manager (gksu synaptic) and install all packages starting with 'ubuntustudio-' as well as the package 'linux-rt' (the Linux real-time kernel).

The real-time kernel and the suite of multimedia applications are the two main differences between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio.

Hope that clears things up for you.