PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Locating program files

filomena
July 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
So, being a beginner, I have installed KMyMoney and put a launcher on the desktop. When I try to find out where the program files are the only location I get is my desktop. Did I really install the program to the desktop and, if so, is this a smart thing to do?:confused:

DaGrimReefah
July 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Most likely you didn't install it to the desktop, and if you did, it wouldn't be a big deal. But, I bet you can find the configuration file in your /home/yourname directory. If you go to "Places">"Home Folder" and then click on "View">"Show Hidden Files", you should see a folder called .KMyMoney

Cypher
July 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
How did you istall the package? If through The Add-Remove or Synaptic Package Manager, you should be able to go back in these apps and highlight the kMyMoney app and have it give you details.

You can also do it from the command line with

dpkg -l | grep money

This will tell you what the name of the package is (probaby kMyMoney), then do

dpkg -L kMyMoney | more

This will show you all the files from that package and where they are located..

philinux
July 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
So, being a beginner, I have installed KMyMoney and put a launcher on the desktop. When I try to find out where the program files are the only location I get is my desktop. Did I really install the program to the desktop and, if so, is this a smart thing to do?:confused:

Hi, welcome.

My guess is you downloaded from the kmymoney site. This is a package which needs compiling. you would have downloaded to your desktop I bet.

The best/easiest way to install most stuff is from add/remove, Apps>Add/Remove or synaptic. The latter is from system>admin>synaptic package manager.
Search for kmymoney and right click it to mark for installation then the apply button.

Have a look at this link. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware
And I would urge you to read the sticky threads on the forum.