PDA

View Full Version : How to identify the WIFI device?

pokerbirch
July 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I'm scripting the "iwconfig" and "airmon-ng" start/stop commands with Python. My script currently calls iwconfig and parses the output to make a list of active devices. It then uses that list to send the "airmon-ng stop xxx" command to each device. So now iwconfig returns:

lo no wireless extensions.
eth1 no wireless extensions.
wifi0 no wireless extensions.
Now i need to restart one of the devices in monitor mode. That is a simple call to "airmon-ng start xxx", but WHICH device? I obviously know that i should use "wifi0" but how would my script make that decision? Is there another command i can call to identify wifi0 as my wifi device? "wifi0" could be hard-coded, but, for instance, my desktop pc names the wifi device "wlan0" which would obviously render the script useless.

EDIT:
A possible solution would be to loop through the list of devices, issuing the "airmon-ng start" command to each one until we get a "(monitor mode enabled)" output and/or reach the end of the list. Would there be any problems in doing this?

Martin Witte
July 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
when you have a wireless connection iwconfig prints something like

martin@toshibap200:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

ath0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"SX551D431D8"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:01:E3:D4:31:D8
Bit Rate=24 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality=48/100 Signal level:-64 dBm Noise level=-95 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

martin@toshibap200:~$

so in my case ath0 is the wireless interface. Your output doesn't show a wireless interface. An alternative command you can consider is iwgetid

martin@toshibap200:~$ iwgetid
ath0 ESSID:"SX551D431D8"
martin@toshibap200:~$

see this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_tools_for_Linux) page as well for some more info on Linux wireless

pokerbirch
July 13th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, that is correct. After i have stopped all wireless devices with the "airmon-ng stop" command my listing is correct. ath0 only appears after i run "airmon-ng start wifi0" which is also correct behaviour. In order to put a wifi device into "monitor" mode, you have to stop it and then restart it which is why i am scripting the commands. What i am asking is: how can i make my script identify that it should use "wifi0" rather than "lo" or "eth1" when issuing the "airmon-ng start" command?

The only solution i have so far is to loop through all the devices until i get an output containing "monitor mode enabled". It's a bit kludgy, but it works. I was hoping there might be a cleaner way...

soltanis
July 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Use the one named wifi0. That seems to be how your driver enables the device. Other drivers behave differently: my wireless card is named wlan0.

pokerbirch
July 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Use the one named wifi0. That seems to be how your driver enables the device. Other drivers behave differently: my wireless card is named wlan0.

Yes, but hard coding it as "wifi0" is not much use on a different pc...

soltanis
July 14th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Yes, but I notice that for the most part, wireless interfaces have a "w" in the first position. I suggest you use this as a heuristic to pick a card that looks like it would be a wireless card first, then if that fails, cycle through the rest using the brute force method.

Martin Witte
July 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Yes, but I notice that for the most part, wireless interfaces have a "w" in the first position. I suggest you use this as a heuristic to pick a card that looks like it would be a wireless card first, then if that fails, cycle through the rest using the brute force method.

Mine is ath0, so it wouldn't be detected under this rule

tturrisi
July 14th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Have a look at airoscript to see how to detect the interface on the system:
http://airoscript.aircrack-ng.org/