PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no clutter

moe46
July 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi
I'm stuck.
I want my desktop to work better have better wireless support and have the sound work better. However the only way to get these improvements is to upgrade my version of Ubuntu.
BUT then I get all this extra "flash".
I hate the new notification system in 9.04
I don't want to new gnome 3.0 / gnome shell that will at some point be
included in future releases. I just want my desktop to work. The basic desktop setup of windows98/windowsxp is simple and easy to use.

My point to the Ubuntu team is that new features are great but have them as options. Otherwise I might as well have Microsoft jamming there brand of yearly crap down my throat.

CHOICE is what Linux is about.

Valakas

csabo2
July 13th, 2009, 04:15 PM
was there a point to this post at all? does not sound like you need help with anything. If you dont like the way things are done, then feel free to make your own distro. thats the beauty of open-source :)

raymondh
July 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Hi
I'm stuck.
I want my desktop to work better have better wireless support and have the sound work better. However the only way to get these improvements is to upgrade my version of Ubuntu.
BUT then I get all this extra "flash".
I hate the new notification system in 9.04
I don't want to new gnome 3.0 / gnome shell that will at some point be
included in future releases. I just want my desktop to work. The basic desktop setup of windows98/windowsxp is simple and easy to use.

My point to the Ubuntu team is that new features are great but have them as options. Otherwise I might as well have Microsoft jamming there brand of yearly crap down my throat.

CHOICE is what Linux is about.

Valakas

Hi Valakas,

"Choice is what Linux is all about"

You could start with the server edition/minimal install of whatever version you choose. From there, add only apps that you want to add and (per your post) edit your desktop to suit your needs.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what you're saying. However, as you yourself said it, that also means you can choose which distro/version/kernel to load, which settings to edit to suit your needs, etc, etc. You have that choice....you have the power to edit....and you have linux to give you that flexibility. No one has to "cram" it down our throats.

If you go to the brainstorming sub-forum and join it, you could make a suggestion which could be voted upon by the members. With enough votes, I'm sure canonical will consider modifying the kernel and thus, the distro version.

As for hardware related problems ... you do realize that (whatever the distro may be) a lot of it is caused by driver support from manufacturers and not canonical, et.al. The nice thing about open source is that sooner or later, someone will come out with a fix or workaround which will make the distro useable.

Just my .02 worth of thoughts.