PDA

View Full Version : Who actually uses the ten key on a laptop?

theozzlives
July 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'm just curious, while I'm a big fan of the ten key on a 104 key keyboard, I find absolutely no reason to have that ****-eyed, so called "ten key" on a laptop. It's about as stupid as that little "eraser" thing they used to call a mouse (Toshiba was famous for them).

Let me know...

JohnFH
July 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I'd like to answer except I don't know what a ten-key is.

theozzlives
July 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I'd like to answer except I don't know what a ten-key is.

It's the number pad on the right of a REAL keyboard.

forrestcupp
July 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I wish more laptops had them. Mine doesn't, and I'd love to have a number pad.

JohnFH
July 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Number pads are really useful and I use them all the time, but on most laptops (not all thankfully), the number pad is not separate and you need to hold down the function key = useless to me. I never use them on laptops for that reason.

renbla
July 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I never use it bcoz in my Laptop, the numbers 0, 1, 2 ... that what you call ten-key are at the place where the correspond number key are : 0, 1,2 .... And i don't know why they make a silly key arrangement like that :)

swoll1980
July 13th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Number pads are really useful and I use them all the time, but on most laptops (not all thankfully), the number pad is not separate and you need to hold down the function key = useless to me. I never use them on laptops for that reason.

Exactly. I can't use the virtual 10 keys on the laptops, they are more of an inconvenience than anything. By the time I have a task that the virtual 10 key would be slightly more efficient, I'm am so predisposed to hating it, that I don't even consider the option.

doorknob60
July 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I do, because the laptop I use has a real one :)

http://static.ubid.com/vximg/4_700521571_0.jpg

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Never on my laptop. It's got one of those virtual number pads. Really annoying to use.

cph05a
July 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I have a usb 10-key I keep at my desk, but I don't take it with me (obviously).

Ra-Hoor-Khuit
July 13th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Being able to 10-Key is a skill I have but rarely use. It's funny to watch somebody who doesn't touch-type get all slack jawed when I start bust out a few hundred 'strokes at full speed though.

But then I'm easily amused...

It's to the point now I wish they'd just do away with them, generally speaking (numeric keypads, I mean) so I could move my KB just a liiiittle more to the left for ergonomic reasons. I don't think I've EVER seen a notebook that sports a numeric keypad, not in the flesh anyway.

Post Monkeh
July 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
if my laptop had a seperate numberpad i would use it all the time. i hate using the numbers at the top of the keyboard

SuperSonic4
July 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Ah the number pad, that makes more sense.

I use it all the time, my job involves inputting numerical data

linuxguymarshall
July 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
If I had a real 10 key (Not the FN+J for '1') I would use it all the time or things like orbiter flight sim or Blender

Glucklich
July 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
For numbers, I use it all the time. My 15" laptop has one, which is a plus. But... It wasn't and will never be an important or even remotely important factor when deciding on a new laptop.

Tipped OuT
July 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I do, because the laptop I use has a real one :)

http://static.ubid.com/vximg/4_700521571_0.jpg

Is that laptop common? Because I always see people have that. My dad has one too, they're nice.

Bungo Pony
July 13th, 2009, 08:57 PM
After years of using the old Commodore computers (Vic 20 and C-64), I got used to never using the number pad. I still don't use it to this day.

theozzlives
July 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM
If I had a real 10 key (Not the FN+J for '1') I would use it all the time or things like orbiter flight sim or Blender

I just have to hit NumLock, but to do it, try and see the cockeyed numbers, then hit NumLock again to type letters?.... come on. You gotta look cause it's not layed out like a real 10 Key. I think some tech was bored when they invented the laptop and said, "let's put a keypad mixed in with the letters".

FuturePilot
July 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Sometimes I wish my laptop had one.

LookTJ
July 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Not on this laptop, I hate the virtual number pad(Fn)