PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4.3............wow...

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I have always been a gnome user since I started with Linux. Every distro I use gnome has always been my favourite, kde 3.x is too simple and ugly and kde 4 got worse.

I like to be able to make an informed decision so I always install KDE, xfce and gnome so I can make my own choice. KDE 4.0 was poor it crashed often, was un-customizable, slow and ugly. It didn't help the ubuntu's implementation of KDE 4.0 could have been far better I was always being bombarded with crashes and errors which opensuse managed to avoid . So I stuck with gnome

KDE 4.1 was a similar experience slightly more stable but it still missed the speed and unity of gnome.

KDE 4.2 got far better, I used this for a few weeks but eventually went back to gnome after plasma continuously crashed leaving me with an un-usable desktop.

KDE 4.3 has so far been a massive improvement. The new plama theme "air" is cleaner, lighter and faster than oxygen. It is fast and mixes well with gtk apps. It is not perfect there are still a few bugs but this would be expected its not yet a final release. Check the kubuntu site on how to install.

Here is a screenshot of 4.3

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Screenshot_minimin_2.jpg

ThisEndlessFall
July 13th, 2009, 01:16 PM
So 4.3 doesn't endlessly crash?

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
KDE 4.3 is going to rock the scene.... final version on july 21...

vinutux
July 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
kde 4 ....long way to go to stable like gnome

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
So 4.3 doesn't endlessly crash?

It does crash, but not too frequently.

kevdog
July 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I don't use kde but that screenshot sure looks nice. I think I'm going to try it once again. Gnome might be stable but its getting boring.

JohnFH
July 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
How long have you had it installed?

kkkkdddd
July 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Who really needs all that widgets (plasmanoids)?

Desktop is a place for shortcuts and documents you are currently working on.

Do you really want your desktop to be cluttered with things that you are going to use once per month?

I use Linux to make money. Plasmanoids are not helpful. Just the other way about, they distract me.

I was using KDE 4.2 for 2 days and went back to Gnome.

GeneralZod
July 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Do you really want your desktop to be cluttered with things that you are going to use once per month?

Presumably the answer is "yes", since he deliberately put them there.

And there's no such word as "Plasmanoids"

HavocXphere
July 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I use Linux to make money. Plasmanoids are not helpful. Just the other way about, they distract me.

You can revert the KDE desktop to the old-school desktop with loads of icons and nothing else.;)

The Folder view widget is totally awesome and _can_ boosts productivity. e.g. having 3 of those on the desktop:
1 = links to programs
2 = Dropbox folder
3 = Temp folder to dump stuff

The other widgets are a personal preference thing, but seriously its better to have too many option than too few.:biggrin:

@hyperdude111: How's it looking on the sound front? The whole sound setup on 4.1 was irritating enough to make me switch to gnome. Perhaps also a comment on desktop search integration?

heroidi
July 13th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Well i use Gnome but my brother loves KDE i'll get to try it myself too but it's buggy

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Well i use Gnome but my brother loves KDE i'll get to try it myself too but it's buggy

how can you claim it's buggy if you haven't tried 4.3 yet?

the8thstar
July 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I could never like KDE. For some reason, my wifi never works with it... while everything is so easy with GNOME.

heroidi
July 13th, 2009, 02:20 PM
because my wireless drivers work on gnome but not on kde

descendent87
July 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Been using kde 4.3 on karmic since beta 1, has been completely stable for me, don't think I've had a single crash yet and it looks great. As for the widgets, I much prefer having the desktop folderview to having icons on my desktop, keeps everything looking tidy. I also have my identi.ca, daily cyanide & happiness comic and my remember the milk tasks on my desktop.
Network manager plasma has seen a lot of work since kde 4.2 so if it didn't work for you before it's worth trying again once kde 4.3 is released

praveesh
July 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I think KDE will be rocking by 4.4 and mountaining(something bigger than rock) by 4.5 . There will have a beautiful window decorator in 4.4. They are begining to work on a mediacentre project which will be included in 4.4. It won't have too many options ,but will add up options by 4.5.

m4tic
July 13th, 2009, 02:36 PM
How can i install KDE on my ubuntu 9.04? but i still want to be able to use gnome too

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
How can i install KDE on my ubuntu 9.04? but i still want to be able to use gnome too

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

nrs
July 13th, 2009, 02:45 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Drivers aren't handled by the DE.

m4tic
July 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM
code: yes CookieMonster
:lolflag:

vinutux
July 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

m4tic
July 13th, 2009, 02:58 PM
thanx i read the post on installing KDE, one lil problem i forgot to mention. my pc doesnt have an internet connection and use an internt cafe jst down my street. Any ideas on that?

swoll1980
July 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM

There was probably no graphical way to configure wireless, well there was, it just didn't work I guess. I'm sure they could have gotten it working from the cli if that was the case.

swoll1980
July 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
thanx i read the post on installing KDE, one lil problem i forgot to mention. my pc doesnt have an internet connection and use an internt cafe jst down my street. Any ideas on that?

Walk to the cafe?

kc3
July 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
My opinion about KDE, well KDE is too much like Windows, and like Windows includes a lot of crap that you really don't need. I like to just install whatever it is I want rather than it all be pre-installed.

swoll1980
July 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM
My opinion about KDE, well KDE is too much like Windows, and like Windows includes a lot of crap that you really don't need. I like to just install whatever it is I want rather than it all be pre-installed.

What makes it more like Windows than Gnome? The fact that it has one taskbar by default? I hear this all the time, and I don't get it.

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
OK. To answer a few questions.

1. Sound is poor, kde apps make no sound ATM to listen to music I use Songbird or rythmbox. Amarok and K3b make no sound.

2. The wireless thing is easy, drivers are handled by the OS not the DE. So kde is not the problem. Kde does not automatically connect to wireless like gnome. To connect click the ethernet sign at the right of the taskbar and click on the wireless you want to connect to. Easy.

papangul
July 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks hyperdude for sharing your experience with kde4.3, I was pondering about shifting to kde, your post will help me in making the decision.
Are you using kubuntu?
Which one is better sidux or kubuntu?

HappyFeet
July 13th, 2009, 04:23 PM
It does crash, but not too frequently.

Let me know when it never crashes, (like my gnome install) then I'll check it out.

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Honestly GNOME has from the beginning always tried to keep up with KDE but it couldn't. People forget that KDE was there before GNOME and that the first GNOME was almost an exact visual imitation of KDE.

Here is Windows 95 that came out before either two showed their face:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/empty/win95.png

Here's the first KDE:

http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2006/11/022-news-kde/kde1.jpg

Here's the first GNOME:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/GNOME-escritorio-1.x.png

Now let's go to the future. 2009,

Here is windows 7 (RTM):

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/104291_win71-400.jpg

Here is KDE 4.3:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce_4.3-beta1/plasma_thumb.png

Here is GNOME 2.27:

http://www.doluyorum.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/ubuntu.png

Here is what I think: Windows (its shell) could only wish to look as good as KDE 4.3 does. :guitar: KDE made its own style from the beginning, GNOME made their DE similar, KDE kept on advancing to the point that it looks way more beautiful than Win7 (if anything MS stole some of KDE style for their Win7)... GNOME looks almost the same it did in the beginning.

Now one wonders, if the GNOME have not been spending all these years on design, and there are so few programs and options, then what on earth have they been doing all these years?????????????

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Let me know when it never crashes, (like my gnome install) then I'll check it out.
KDE 4.3 is currently not final, they advice against non-developers/testers installing it. KDE 4.2.2, 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 (current) have never crashed on me. Everything functions perfectly.

moster
July 13th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I have feeling that if Linus Tordvalds come here behind alias, some of you would tell him "Listen MoFo, come come back when you get linux compatible hardware, not sooner."

I am telling this because he go away from KDE4. I will try it when he come back.

Kobalt
July 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Has anyone tested KMail with an Exchange account? Support for Exchange was supposed to land with KDE 4.3 ...

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have feeling that if Linus Tordvalds come here behind alias, some of you would tell him "Listen MoFo, come come back when you get linux compatible hardware, not sooner."

I am telling this because he go away from KDE4. I will try it when he come back.

lol do you seriously choose your software based on what Linus uses?

GNOME looks almost the same it did in the beginning.

It does? You don't find the newer version at all more polished or anything?

Luke has no name
July 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I might try KDE 4.3. I've tried KDE several times in the past, and always go back to Gnome because... well, it's better.

HOWEVER, I must say I like Win7's interface better than Gnome, which is a first. Now that I've used Win7' taskbar, I find it hard to tell what windows are open in the taskbar; Win7 makes it very easy to tell by color and icon. perhaps KDE is closer to that.

Bitch about Windows all you want, they're getting better.

moster
July 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM

No, Stallman. I am on Gnome ;)

HappyFeet
July 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM

That's funny.

praveesh
July 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
What makes it more like Windows than Gnome? The fact that it has one taskbar by default? I hear this all the time, and I don't get it.

Gnome changes wallpaper when just clicked on it. We need to click on apply , in the kde and also in windows. Kde windows usually have a border(atleast in default decoration) but Gnome themes usually don't have one. These examples may be stupid . Just take it easy. Gnome usually is always automatic but in kde we need to click apply like in windows.

Icehuck
July 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Gnome changes wallpaper when just clicked on it. We need to click on apply , in the kde and also in windows. Kde windows usually have a border(atleast in default decoration) but Gnome themes usually don't have one. These examples may be stupid . Just take it easy. Gnome usually is always automatic but in kde we need to click apply like in windows.

I actually like the apply feature. Comes in handy when you accidentally click something and change a setting but didn't realize it. I've been in gconf-editor and done this a few times. Though it mostly happens because of the touchpad on my laptop.

Also gnome uses a registry just like Windows and it's menu layout is copied from OSX.

Danny Dubya
July 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Are you sure it's not just Kubuntu's KDE? I ask this because my atheros-based Trendnet 443PI couldn't connect at all with Kubuntu on the LiveCD, but when I switched to SuSE, it worked. It might not even be the distro itself, it could be the new NetworkManager plasmoid Kubuntu uses that's messing up (SuSE as of 11.1 is still using the KDE3 one). Maybe you could install KDE from Ubuntu and use a different network applet?

kellemes
July 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Don't know about Windows, long time ago I used it.. but for me this is a great 'feature', I want to be able to try and see without having to commit changes. Happy with the changes? Click apply.

I like the fact KDE traditionally gives me control over my own desktop, instead of making decisions for me I didn't ask for.
I feel it's this ultimate control that results in a lot of people calling KDE bloated, but really they can't handle the features and freedom to customize the desktop.

gnulinfan
July 13th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Gnome is a part of the GNU project. That may be reason of it's stagnancy. They are too far away from being practical . I don't forget that without RMS, free software, FSF and GNU/LINUX and all of these won't be there

twright
July 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I would consider kde more seriously but I am way to much of a minimalist :-) That said 4.3 runs much faster than previous versions on my eeepc

@Pasdar (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=802756)
of course gnome looks a bit rubbish in comparison if you continue to post screen shots of feisty and compare them with the latest beta of kde, I have attached some screenshots my own desktop (for the 10th time today) in the hope of providing a more up-to-date comparison

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I would consider kde more seriously but I am way to much of a minimalist :-) That said 4.3 runs much faster than previous versions on my eeepc

of course gnome looks a bit rubbish in comparison if you continue to post screen shots of feisty and compare them with the latest beta of kde, I have attached some screenshots my own desktop (for the 10th time today) in the hope of providing a more up-to-date comparison

That Image is not of feisty It is the latest RC gnome the same as the KDE photo is the latest RC of KDE.

It is true gnome can look amazing, but kde looks amazing from default.

You can customize both DE's so much they do not look like the original. But I found to get gnome to have a look that suits my tastes requires far more time than for kde.

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/kde4.3.jpg

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Screenshot.2.jpg

praveesh
July 13th, 2009, 05:59 PM

still........, in the case of looks and feel, KDE wins. KDE4.X uses ARGB for drawing. But Gnome and KDE3.X use only RGB. Up to my knowledge, it was for this ARGB that the KDE rewrighted everything and became 4.x.

Tibuda
July 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
still........, in the case of looks and feel, KDE wins. KDE4.X uses ARGB for drawing. But Gnome and KDE3.X use only RGB. Up to my knowledge, it was for this ARGB that the KDE rewrighted everything and became 4.x.

Gtk+ Murrine engine supports it (http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2007/12/12/gtk-rgba-transparent-widgets-with-the-murrine-engine/), but not every applications are ready to use it. It would require to patch most applications to use it.

Offtopic: you should fix the links in your signature.

twright
July 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
That Image is not of feisty It is the latest RC gnome the same as the KDE photo is the latest RC of KDE.

Oh, the feisty wallpaper fooled me :KS (edit: the date icons and panel as well - I'm sure that screenshot is of feisty)

I admire the looks of KDE4 but I always come back to the simplicity of gnome

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I just grabbed a random image of GNOME. It doesn't really matter which version you grab, they all look the same. I find it weird that you ever dare mention it as a GNOME user. Even the GNOME 3 screencasts looks the same.

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 06:23 PM
This is the feisty wallpaper (slight difference)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1024/559919981_5c11c6267b.jpg

However the date is weird considering the image has been named "gnome 2.27" which is the latest RC.

Here is an image of the current (stable) gnome release. 2.26

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.26/figures/gnome.png.en_GB

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Here you go, the latest running on karmic alpha 2:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_X7NV4eQM-8A/SkJYg89P6HI/AAAAAAAAADs/AQ3mrX5eWw4/s320/karmicalpha2-small_001.png

twright
July 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ah, in that case the screenshot was edgy :-) . Anyway gnome has improved a lot since then.

This is the feisty wallpaper (slight difference)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1024/559919981_5c11c6267b.jpg

Pasdar
July 13th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible: Many people here are like OMGZ$YUHD*& GNOME RULEZ THE WORLD! ITZA THA 1337 ****... KDE IS SHMELLY POOP... then they install GNOME and change it to the point that its barely (or not at all) recognizable as GNOME.

Do you like GNOME or not? If you do, why do you change it so much and add X and Y to it. If I use GNOME it takes me two full days to customize to exactly the way I find it nice to look at (still I find the slowness a bit annoying, but i can live with it).

However KDE just looks awesome as it is. Its extremely uniform, its extremely complete, its very slick and stylish, etc. You right click on the desktop > appearance settings > new theme and select from the themes uploaded at kde site and it just applies it for you... it has this option for colours, etc, everything... its just so filled with every $%^&*( option you can think of... the potential of this thing alone is amazing... People whine about 30MB RAM usage difference, OMG? are you out of your mind? 2GB ram cost 10 bucks now, if you are poor I don't blame you, but is this a serious argument? Stop using a 386 and run it on a normal PC and you'll see just how responsive KDE is... GNOME is about 300% slower is everything (not exaggerating)

Tibuda
July 13th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible: Many people here are like OMGZ$YUHD*& GNOME RULEZ THE WORLD! ITZA THA 1337 ****... KDE IS SHMELLY POOP... then they install GNOME and change it to the point that its barely (or not at all) recognizable as GNOME.

Do you like GNOME or not? If you do, why do you change it so much and add X and Y to it. If I use GNOME it takes me two full days to customize to exactly the way I find it nice to look at (still I find the slowness a bit annoying, but i can live with it).

However KDE just looks awesome as it is. Its extremely uniform, its extremely complete, its very slick and stylish, etc. You right click on the desktop > appearance settings > new theme and select from the themes uploaded at kde site and it just applies it for you... it has this opinion for colours, etc, everything... its just so filled with every $%^&*( option you can think of... the potential of this thing alone is amazing... People whine about 30MB RAM usage difference, OMG? are you out of your mind? 2GB ram cost 10 bucks now, if you are poor I don't blame you, but is this a serious argument? Stop using a 386 and run it on a normal PC and you'll see just how responsive KDE is... GNOME is about 300% slower is everything (not exaggerating)

It's not about the desktop itslef, but about the applications. Gnome applications are a lot more intuitive for me. I don't care for the default look, because I can change it easily. It's just a personal taste. You like KDE, I like Gnome. That's fair. Why fight for it? It's nothing more than some 0s and 1s in a digital media.

I don't see how Gnome is slower, and I don' really care for RAM usage. If I were worried about RAM I would use Openbox, and not Gnome.

RiceMonster
July 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
People whine about 30MB RAM usage difference, OMG? are you out of your mind? 2GB ram cost 10 bucks now, if you are poor I don't blame you, but is this a serious argument? Stop using a 386 and run it on a normal PC and you'll see just how responsive KDE is... GNOME is about 300% slower is everything (not exaggerating)

Honestly, I find it silly when a fan of either GNOME or KDE accuse the other of using too much reasources. If you were really concerned about being lighweight, you wouldn't be using either. Personally, I find them both equally as responsive. If you have a decent computer, they should both run just fine.

SuperSonic4
July 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
KDE 4.3 is really good, nice and stable too

moster
July 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
yes. gnome looks just... plain. They promise redesign, but I think it will not be much different.

I must say that this screens of KDE4 you posted look astonishing. Even by win7 criteria. KDE apps is full of features, and it will be something when they finally bring stability to gnome level.

praveesh
July 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Offtopic: you should fix the links in your signature.

Thanks. Fixed. Earlier the linkes worked well . I don't know what happened now. I didn't make any change to it. The older(and just before the last editing) code is A NEW LINUX USER SHOULD SEE THIS ("http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm"/) if you can't see the code, just click edit

jimv
July 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Nobody cares how you don't use features. Sorry. Not the point of this thread.

Tipped OuT
July 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Just a bunch of unnecessary distracting transparency, and over sized icons and task bar... like Windows 7.

I already tried KDE. It's like using the Linux version of Vista. Slow, unstable... :???:. Can't say I didn't try, used it for 2 months. Even posted screen shots of my themes.

*waits for a KDE fanatic to lecture me*

CJ Master
July 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Just a bunch of unnecessary distracting transparency, and over sized icons and task bar... like Windows 7.

I already tried KDE. It's like using the Linux version of Vista. Slow, unstable... :???:. Can't say I didn't try, used it for 2 months. Even posted screen shots of my themes.

*waits for a KDE fanatic to lecture me*

We all have different tastes, although I admit I belive your the only person in this thread to not like the default theme...

I know you don't mean this, but you sound like your pushing your experiances with KDE as a fact. Because my experiance with KDE was fast, extremely stable. (Didn't crash once in the several months of me using it.) Of course, I run Arch+KDEmod, And Kubuntu is known for its... Kruddiness.

Skripka
July 13th, 2009, 08:41 PM
We all have different tastes, although I admit I belive your the only person in this thread to not like the default theme...

I know you don't mean this, but you sound like your pushing your experiances with KDE as a fact. Because my experiance with KDE was fast, extremely stable. (Didn't crash once in the several months of me using it.) Of course, I run Arch+KDEmod, And Kubuntu is known for its... Kruddiness.

I switched last night to Vanilla KDE a la Extra from ye KDEMod...it seems a bit snappier on my rig than KDEMod ;)

kellemes
July 13th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I switched last night to Vanilla KDE a la Extra from ye KDEMod...it seems a bit snappier on my rig than KDEMod ;)

Happy KDEmod-user here..
I don't think there is any reason why KDEmod should be snappier than vanilla KDE. So probably it's all about what daemons and services are running, and obviously how the underlying system is setup.
The modularity of KDEmod also should have no influence on snappiness.

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 09:31 PM
This isn't good just checked my RAM and 960mb being used NO apps running.

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Massive%20RAM%20usage.jpg

twright
July 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
This isn't good just checked my RAM and 960mb being used NO apps running.

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Massive%20RAM%20usage.jpg

I am guessing you are using 64bit Ubuntu thus more RAM will be used. Using more RAM does not automatically mean something is slower infact it can often mean exactly the opposite as more of a programs data is being read from the faster system memory as opposed to the hard drive which is multiple times slower. Programs use RAM for a reason, and unless you are running out the more they use the better.

hyperdude111
July 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I know, but 64 bit ubuntu gnome uses about 500mb of RAM.

I have been using 64bit since January.

twright
July 13th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Well gnome actually is more lightweight - this is not just hyperbole but generally fact. However KDE benefits from its position in that it can ship some really nice stuff which would be to heavy to be considered for gnome such as Amarok (complete with built in kitchen sink), the PIM stuff and of course widgets. You have to remember that even GNU/Linux itself was considered heavy when it was created as it was "built for the future". That said Windows is bloated for no good reason and its "ecosystem" contributes to that terribly - a wifi driver should not install a special radar applet, a Mp3 player should not come with Music software and phones should not come with their own suite of bloat.

phrostbyte
July 13th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Nice. Everytime I see screenshots of KDE it makes me want to use it. Last time I used it though (I think KDE 4.1) it was significantly more unstable for me then Gnome, like using for an hour 2-3 apps already segfaulted. I think KDE should use some smart pointers or garbage collection. :p

phrostbyte
July 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Paste the output of the "free -m" command.

Linux is known to use as much memory as it can because unused memory is wasted memory. So it puts frequently accessed files in RAM for instance. But this will be shown in the "free -m" command.

CJ Master
July 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Nice. Everytime I see screenshots of KDE it makes me want to use it. Last time I used it though (I think KDE 4.1) it was significantly more unstable for me then Gnome, like using for an hour 2-3 apps already segfaulted. I think KDE should use some smart pointers or garbage collection. :p

KDE4 and 4.1 sucked. 4.2 is great (better then gnome imo), and 4.3 is just plain awesome. I don't get why people say it's crashing all the time. I NEVER crash with KDEmod. Maybe they're using Kubuntu? I crashed several times with that...

froggyswamp
July 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM

In fact my Jaunty 64 bit with Gnome uses only 300MB after startup. It gets to 500MB after I load Firefox with several tabs + Amarok 2.1.1 + Deluge.

Everybody is waiting for KDE4 to get stable as in 'stable' (even the Gnome users like me to finally switch to it hehe).

Pasdar
July 14th, 2009, 12:21 AM
When I first tried KDE 4.2.1 it would crash/reload when I would right click on a folder in folder view on the desktop. However, all versions after that were better and better. In fact after 4.2.2 I have never experienced any bugs or crashes. Cant wait till 4.3 becomes final. 10-15 more days... :D

phrostbyte
July 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM
KDE4 and 4.1 sucked. 4.2 is great (better then gnome imo), and 4.3 is just plain awesome. I don't get why people say it's crashing all the time. I NEVER crash with KDEmod. Maybe they're using Kubuntu? I crashed several times with that...

KDE has always been crashy for me, even the 3.X branch. That big bomb dialog screen was not an uncommon sight. These all usually are memory protection violation (segfault). I think KDE might not be using any kind of memory management strategy. Gnomes get this by default because of GObject framework all of Gnome including GTK+ is built on. It still can segfault, but it makes it easier to avoid segfaults for the programmer.

C++ supports pointers which are unlikely to cause a segfault. They are called smart pointers. There is overhead of using them over "dumb" pointers, but the overhead is worth it IMO.

Fundamentally the way to get a segfault is to attempt to access memory the program isn't allowed to access. This is kind of hard to avoid because what you aren't allowed to access changes constantly (as you allocate and free memory blocks, which happens hundreds of times per second in complicated applications). This problem will go away once you stop trying to manage memory yourself and let something else do it for you. I'm a big fan of garbage collection, because it leads to more stable applications.

qamelian
July 14th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Whether it makes sense or not, I have the same problem. If I log out of Gnome and log in to KDE 4, my wireless becomes none existent. It simply never connects. If I log out of KDE 4 and log in using Gnome again, my wireless comes back up in seconds.

Skripka
July 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Whether it makes sense or not, I have the same problem. If I log out of Gnome and log in to KDE 4, my wireless becomes none existent. It simply never connects. If I log out of KDE 4 and log in using Gnome again, my wireless comes back up in seconds.

Sounds like a config problem...more precisely it sounds like you GUI'd your wireless configuration with Gnome specific tool...which of course don't start up when using KDE.

decoherence
July 14th, 2009, 12:42 AM

I found it worked using the KDE PPA for 9.04 but it broke when I upgraded to Karmic. The problem there is a bug in the network manager plasmoid, not the wireless drivers (which makes a lot more sense!)

Wicd still works, though, as usual.

qamelian
July 14th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a config problem...more precisely it sounds like you GUI'd your wireless configuration with Gnome specific tool...which of course don't start up when using KDE.
The only config I did was to install restricted drivers, after which my wireless "just worked". I tried the same thing in KDE, but no joy. Oddly, it worked fine in KDE 4.0 and 4.1. The breakage only occured with 4.2.

Tipped OuT
July 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Well then maybe it was because I was using Kubuntu. I always here people say Kubuntu sucks, so I'm not sure, but that was my experience with it.

rolleander
July 14th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Really weird. I have sound problems in KDE, but not gnome. Probably a way to fix it - I might switch back to KDE for a while just to check it out - I like having options. I think I like KDE better without the plasma though - it seems weird to me - and I have no use for clutter when I find using the applications menu works well for me.

But KDE sure does look pretty...

izizzle
July 14th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I can't wait till till KDE 4.3. It's gonna knock my socks off, so I'm wearing them real tight these days :P

Oh, and everybody who thinks KDE looks bad, here is a link to my Kubuntu 9.04 desktop screenshot (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120965&d=1247500837).

twright
July 14th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I can't wait till till KDE 4.3. It's gonna knock my socks off, so I'm wearing them real tight these days :P

Oh, and everybody who thinks KDE looks bad, here is a link to my Kubuntu 9.04 desktop screenshot (http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120965&d=1247500837).
You don't need to think KDE looks bad (I don't know anyone who does) to think gnome can look good

I am also looking forwards to 4.3 with karmic, I might even use it :-)

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
When I first tried KDE 4.2.1 it would crash/reload when I would right click on a folder in folder view on the desktop. However, all versions after that were better and better. In fact after 4.2.2 I have never experienced any bugs or crashes. Cant wait till 4.3 becomes final. 10-15 more days... :D

But in your anti Gnome rants you completely ignored all the issues and lack of functionality KDE4 has right now.
Even 4.3 still lacks a lot of functionality compared to Gnome, granted 4.3 is very promising but its still not there where I need it.

Regenweald
July 14th, 2009, 02:02 AM
H
Now one wonders, if the GNOME have not been spending all these years on design, and there are so few programs and options, then what on earth have they been doing all these years?????????????

I'm not anti KDE I love the project, but to answer your question in a way: On any given day you could almost trip over posts about KDE crashing or it's general bugginess, I have yet to see one solitary thread going: I tried gnome, but it kept crashing so i quit. Stability beats looks every time. Your DE is a tool, it should not get in your way.

Having said that, once the project is 'Gnome' stable, I'd love to use it.

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 03:50 AM
But in your anti Gnome rants you completely ignored all the issues and lack of functionality KDE4 has right now.
Even 4.3 still lacks a lot of functionality compared to Gnome, granted 4.3 is very promising but its still not there where I need it.

What does it lack? Can you give like a list? :Not being sarcastic... yet!

quazi
July 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I'm being somewhat repetitive about this, but I'll post it again.

When KDE 4.3 allows for customizable right-click menus I'll consider using it. I also greatly prefer the Gnome main menu over that clunky mess that comes with KDE. I understand that I can switch back to the old system menu to fix that though.

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 04:13 AM

You can customize both DE's so much they do not look like the original. But I found to get gnome to have a look that suits my tastes requires far more time than for kde.

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/kde4.3.jpg

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Screenshot.2.jpg

Wonderful... gtk theme, icon theme?

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM

Please tell what it lacks . I couldn't find any

CJ Master
July 14th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Please tell what it lacks . I couldn't find any

I really +1 this, because I hear it all the time. I think these people haven't tried KDE 4.3

Tipped OuT
July 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I really +1 this, because I hear it all the time. I think these people haven't tried KDE 4.3

Originality, stability, and performance.

quazi
July 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM

I just mentioned one thing it lacked: It's obnoxious that you can't do anything to configure the desktop right-click menu. Gnome-Do is something that is missing an analogue in KDE (although the new Kicker is definitely better than alt+f2 on gnome).

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
You can't do that in gnome either and you couldn't do that in kde 3.x

toupeiro
July 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Trying it out as we speak.. I'll give it credit, it is better. I have no real complaints about gnome, but deep down I think I want to be a KDE fan. It's still a flippin' RAM hog though. I think by nature it always will be. Things are much more fluid in this release. I like the fact they gave you an easy way to add plasmoids from local file.

Overall, yes, its an improvement. It is more feature rich, its fluid, and its pretty. It does have to work on its stability, and it could stand to be a bit more straightforard on menu contexts. I still run gnome-do because I've gotten unhealthily attached to how incredibly functional it is and its hard for me to live without. It seems to work beautifully in KDE 4.3

I'm not of the mindset that "There needs to be only one GUI" and that KDE should ever absorb/relace or even attempt to be anything like Gnome or vice-versa. I still prefer gnome, but one day I may switch to KDE. Especially if its releases continue to be this progressive.

toupeiro
July 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Um... you absolutely could do that in kde 3.x I've done it on over 100 Linux desktops at work.

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
How?

toupeiro
July 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM
it was in one of the .kde config files, I believe the kdesktoprc file, you can set an action for each mouse click on the desktop. I created a list of applist of application launchers, and in my case I pointed middleclick to that list, so I got a completely different menu when I middle mouse clicked. for left mouse click, I kept it at DoNothing, but I could have assigned a menu to it as well.

If you really want to know how to do things like this, google it. Thats how I learned how.

Edit:

Here, I've done it for you..

http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/20502/edit-the-right-click-menu.html

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 06:57 AM
No I have no need for it... But I was curious how because it would seem that an advanced user could pull this off in any DE. I mean the right-click menus are/were configured some how. So it was possible in kde 3 but not as something expose to regular users in a friendly manner. I'm sure you could pull the same thing off in kde 4 and gnome. So in that respect I don't see this as a lacking feature of kde 4

toupeiro
July 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
No I have no need for it... But I was curious how because it would seem that an advanced user could pull this off in any DE. I mean the right-click menus are/were configured some how. So it was possible in kde 3 but not as something expose to regular users in a friendly manner. I'm sure you could pull the same thing off in kde 4 and gnome. So in that respect I don't see this as a lacking feature of kde 4

... but it is a feature which kde4 lacks, regardless of the level of personal importance you put on it. As the linked article I provided mentioned, it could still be done through the control center GUI. So, yes, even for the most CLI phobic user, this was a possibility.

Have you edited the file? its really not rocket science. Its about as hard as sources.list, a file which every ubuntu user will touch in an editor at one point or another, even if its just following countless howto's on the net or on these forums.

You said "you're sure it could be done". I haven't found a way to do it yet. Can you help? You said it couldn't be done in kde 3.5, I showed you a way. ;)

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 07:04 AM
... but it is a feature which kde4 lacks, regardless of the level of personal importance you put on it.

I'm not trying to be a pest but does kde 4 really lack this "feature" How are the right click menus setup in the first place? There must be some way to change them.. I mean someone had to configure them in order for them to exist :lolflag:

It's late

MikeTheC
July 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Yeah, but it still looks like Windows and is based on Qt.

toupeiro
July 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'm not trying to be a pest but does kde 4 really lack this "feature" How are the right click menus setup in the first place? There must be some way to change them.. I mean someone had to configure them in order for them to exist :lolflag:

It's late

Good question. I know how NOT to set them up in kde4. Through kdesktoprc or the control center, which is they way you could do it in 3.x ;)

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Good question. I know how NOT to set them up in kde4. Through kdesktoprc or the control center, which is they way you could do it in 3.x ;)

Well times be a changing... got to get with it... No really, I don't know but the gnome-main-menu comes to mind. The Slab thing suse created. I always wanted to change the text and the icon. I just wanted the Ubuntu logo as the button with no text. There was no option to change these things so I had to edit some weird file (a glade file maybe, I don't remember) to change it. Not friendly or documented but possible.

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I just mentioned one thing it lacked: It's obnoxious that you can't do anything to configure the desktop right-click menu. Gnome-Do is something that is missing an analogue in KDE (although the new Kicker is definitely better than alt+f2 on gnome).

There is krunner and quick sand in kde in the place of Gnome do. Krunner is already in kde and quick sand is in 4.3

CJ Master
July 14th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Originality, stability, and performance.

Originality: As pointed out earlier in this thread, Gnome copied off of KDE near the beginning, and they are nowhere near alike now. If anything, Microsoft took elements of KDE4.2 for W7.

Stability: Like I said, because you have stability problems doesn't mean you speak for all of us. Has never, ever crashed for me.

Performance: 10x faster then gnome, especially for the menus.

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Yeah, but it still looks like Windows and is based on Qt.

you can always change the look. You can make it look like a Gnome. What's the wrong with using Qt . It's now released under GPL and LGPL. There is an agreement between QT and Kde ev which enables the kde ev to release QT under a BSD like license if QT stoped providing GPL and LGPL licenses. BSD type of license means virtually all types of licensed including proprietory license.

Tipped OuT
July 14th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Originality: As pointed out earlier in this thread, Gnome copied off of KDE near the beginning, and they are nowhere near alike now. If anything, Microsoft took elements of KDE4.2 for W7.

Stability: Like I said, because you have stability problems doesn't mean you speak for all of us. Has never, ever crashed for me.

Performance: 10x faster then gnome, especially for the menus.

1. Windows 7 is nothing like KDE, except for the over sized task bar and icons. I guess KDE owns that too right? GNOME, as of right now, is unique.

2. Same goes for you.

3. Can't argue or disprove that, some people say Vista is faster then XP, so hey... What works for you, works for you.

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Where I feel KDE4 still lacks:
Kickoff is still way too unintuitive, granted you can change the menu to classic style but I think kickoff can be improved, its a good concept but poor in delivery.
Panels cannot be sized too small or you cant read their contents, I like the ability to change my taskbars to my liking.
Theming is still too lacking
Dolphin is too much of a memory hog and slows things down.
practically all KDE4 native apps are not nearly as robust as their KDE3 counterparts.

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 07:46 AM
1. Windows 7 is nothing like KDE, except for the over sized task bar and icons. I guess KDE owns that too right? GNOME, as of right now, is unique.

2. Same goes for you.

3. Can't argue or disprove that, some people say Vista is faster then XP, so hey... What works for you, works for you.

The over sized taskbar has been fixed in 4.3. If interested, go to youtube and see the kde4.3 overview screencast by Aaron Seigo (kde core developer and former president of kde ev)

CJ Master
July 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM

2. Same goes for you.

1. If you used KDE 4.2 and Windows 7 you would see the obvious simularities.

2. Except I'm not the one that claimed the KDE was less stable then gnome. I said it was extremely stable *for me.*

3. Do you seriously not notice the lag in GNOME's menus? The sad part is it's by design. Apparently people who use gnome need menus that lag for 3 seconds. :roll:

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Where I feel KDE4 still lacks:
Kickoff is still way too unintuitive, granted you can change the menu to classic style but I think kickoff can be improved, its a good concept but poor in delivery.

Do the new lancelot satisfy you

Panels cannot be sized too small or you cant read their contents, I like the ability to change my taskbars to my liking.
You can always change the size of the panels

skitzware
July 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Ok, a few things that I just don't understand.

1. Sound is poor, kde apps make no sound ATM to listen to music I use Songbird or rythmbox. Amarok and K3b make no sound

I'm listening to Leonard Cohen right now using Amarok/Kubuntu 4.3 on a Dell Studio 15. No setup needed.

Wireless.

Set up 2 wireless networks with a few clicks of the network applet, (1 ad-hoc to wireless printer, HP-4500).

Minimal.

Just don't understand that comment at all. Menu I hardly use, setup all the apps via hotkeys, (remember it's a laptop).

As for the desktop itself 2 clicks to get "folder view" and you can have a messy desktop once again.

Widgets.

I don't really mind them at all (only have 2 on the desktop ATM).

As for how it performs, it's running nice ATM. I don't know yet if it will be suitable for my work purposes, (graphic design, photography. etc).

But that's a failing of the apps available for nix. (Gimp is getting better, haven't really had time to work with it since I came back to nix, so that comment might be viewed as FUD. If so, I take it back).

Stability.

Not a single crash at all.

Why don't you actually try it? As for looks... nuff said..

SunnyRabbiera
July 14th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Do the new lancelot satisfy you
You can always change the size of the panels

No I dont like lancelot either, still too many clicks in each one.
And yes i know you can change the size of ther panels what I was saying was that if you make them too small you cant read text in the tasks list or the clock...

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM
And yes i know you can change the size of the panels .what I was saying was that if you make them too small, you can't read text in the tasks list or the clock...

How much small,sir? 20 pixels ?or less?. I haven't use the 4.3, but only read the change log and saw some videos. So I can't comment about viewing text in small panel, much. Any how , in the kde 4.3 preview screen cast , Aaron Seigo said that 4.3 can have too small panels . The bug , wou have said may be fixed in 4.3. The video can be found at youtube.

Tipped OuT
July 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
1. If you used KDE 4.2 and Windows 7 you would see the obvious simularities.

2. Except I'm not the one that claimed the KDE was less stable then gnome. I said it was extremely stable *for me.*

3. Do you seriously not notice the lag in GNOME's menus? The sad part is it's by design. Apparently people who use gnome need menus that lag for 3 seconds. :roll:

1. No I don't see anything similar. The large task bar and over sized icons is the only thing similar. The rest is just Windows. I also heard from another user that KDE 4.3 doesn't have the over sized task bar anymore, so it's even less like Windows 7.

2. Except I never said you did. Just stating the obvious. No accusations.

3. Change (or remove) the animation duration in CompizConfigSettingsManager (CCSM). :rolleyes: And if that still doesn't work, you must have a very old computer, because GNOME is fast for me, and I'm on a 5 year old laptop, with a P4 chip, with about 600 MB's of RAM available.

praveesh
July 14th, 2009, 08:35 AM
If compiz is switched off, Gnome menu is faster than that of kde

GeneralZod
July 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Configuring the behaviour of right-click, middle-click etc on the desktop is being worked on right now by Chani as part of her GSoC. It will have a GUI for KDE4.

There's some discussion of memory usage going on right now on the mailing lists:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=124748414609853&w=2

The dude to listen to there is Thiago, who really knows what he's talking about. General consensus: lots of room for improvement, but will likely never get back to KDE3 levels of memory usage due to e.g. Qt4's double-buffering and the use of MySql for Amarok and PIM. There's no fundamental reason why a fresh boot should use 1GB, though: this is very clearly a bug somewhere. It could surpass KDE3 in terms of performance and battery life on laptops.

Interestingly, by far the biggest memory hog for me on KDE3 (besides the web browser) was Kontact, which I've seen use over 100MB RES (but which, just to be awkward, is currently using ~76MB). If Akonadi's intelligent caching can reduce this significantly, then this could conceivably make up for the rest of KDE4's excesses. Likewise, a switch to WebKit as Konqueror's rendering engine could reduce the memory usage there. Note that I have no figures supporting either of statements: they are merely speculation.

hyperdude111
July 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Wonderful... gtk theme, icon theme?

Your the second person to ask about that in two days.

Gtk theme - Clearlooks
Emerald theme - Futurelooks 3
Icon theme - Darkfire Evolution (rare)

The icon theme is hard to find so I added it to my dropbox so i never lose it.

Here is the dropbox link https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Drakfire%20Evolution.tar.gz

HappinessNow
July 14th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Here is a screenshot of 4.3

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/Screenshot_minimin_2.jpg

That has to be the ugliest wallpaper I have ever seen, the new KDE 4.3 looks awesome.

Tom Mann
July 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=hyperdude111;7609094]OK. To answer a few questions.
1. Sound is poor, kde apps make no sound ATM to listen to music I use Songbird or rythmbox. Amarok and K3b make no sound.
QUOTE]

...What are you doing? I have my sound set up in KDE just fine, and even gave my USB headset priority so that sound switches to it when I plug it in...???

hyperdude111
July 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
...What are you doing? I have my sound set up in KDE just fine, and even gave my USB headset priority so that sound switches to it when I plug it in...???

Whenever I run a kde app that requires sound I get some notification that the sound driver failed and that is is moving to another one.

Screenshot

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/audio.jpg

renbla
July 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM

My thinking is exactly the same :). After one month playing w/ all those effects, gadgets, screenlets..... i got tired and back to normal desktop. Those things are beautiful and nice but i prefer simple but efficient. :)

heroidi
July 14th, 2009, 12:18 PM
installed KDE and just had my first crash

kpkeerthi
July 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I guess I'll wait for KDE 4.5. Everytime I tried KDE 4.x, it made me I feel "I guess I'll try it next time when it is 4.x + 0.2".

I can see where KDE 4 is heading but is simply not ready IMO.

hyperdude111
July 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM
installed KDE and just had my first crash

Did you install 4.3 from the jaunty backports repo or did you use apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

For kde 4.3 you need the first one.

jonian_g
July 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I installed it. Used for 2 hours. No crashes.
It is great.

The reasons I don't use KDE are gimp and incscape. They are both gtk apps and I don't like mixing qt and gtk apps.

But I will definitely put arch+kdemod on a laptop I'm planning to buy.

heroidi
July 14th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Did you install 4.3 from the jaunty backports repo or did you use apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

For kde 4.3 you need the first one.

just typed in terminal sudo apt-get install kde

geoken
July 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've seen a couple of people claim Win 7 copied KDE4 (which is pretty surprising considering everyone outside of KDE fans claim Win 7 looks exactly like Vista).

Can someone point out the specific things they copied? The only big change I can see between Vista and Win 7 is the enlarged taskbar by default which existed in Vista but simply wasn't the default option.

hyperdude111
July 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
just typed in terminal sudo apt-get install kde

You need to add the jaunty backports repo from kubuntu website then.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

heroidi
July 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Here's how my Kubuntu looks like now
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9784/kubuntu.png

Pasdar
July 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Whenever I run a kde app that requires sound I get some notification that the sound driver failed and that is is moving to another one.

Screenshot

https://files.getdropbox.com/u/424821/audio.jpg

Why don't you select the one it falls back on by default so you dont get the message?

heroidi
July 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

this took me about an hour and now Kubuntu is screwed up it can't load compiz or something like that

hyperdude111
July 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
this took me about an hour and now Kubuntu is screwed up it can't load compiz or something like that

wow. sorry.

That is how I installed kubuntu, maybe because you had already installed kde something was different.

Delever
July 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Plasma things no longer lag when I start dragging them - a big thumbs up.

heroidi
July 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM
wow. sorry.

That is how I installed kubuntu, maybe because you had already installed kde something was different.

it's ok i'll sudo apt-get remove kde
and then i'll sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Skripka
July 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Why are you using Compiz?

Sounds like if you're serious about wanting it to work, that you should head o'er to yonder dupport forums.

papangul
July 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

quazi
July 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Wrong on both counts. Since someone's already pointed out how to do it in older versions of KDE, here's (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875262&highlight=deskmenu) how to do it with compiz.

izizzle
July 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Let's take a look in the past. KDE 3. When did KDE 3 gain most of it's users? With the release of KDE 3.5. What KDE *dislikers* need to do is wait for the release of KDE 4.5 or even 4.3 or 4.4 at the rate things are moving with the project, and then try it and make opinions based on that. The point I'm trying to make is that I see alot of potential in the project, and it needs a little more time to get to the point where I (and many other people) see. That being said, KDE 4.3.4 has been quite stable for me.

TheLastDodo
July 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Let's take a look in the past. KDE 3. When did KDE 3 gain most of it's users? With the release of KDE 3.5. What KDE *dislikers* need to do is wait for the release of KDE 4.5 or even 4.3 or 4.4 at the rate things are moving with the project, and then try it and make opinions based on that. The point I'm trying to make is that I see alot of potential in the project, and it needs a little more time to get to the point where I (and many other people) see. That being said, KDE 4.3.4 has been quite stable for me.

I think it depends on why exactly they dislike KDE. If they feel the current version is still unstable, buggy, or resource-intensive, then I agree with you that waiting until 4.5 or so might well end up solving many of their problems. However, I've noticed that a great many KDE bashers are unhappy with two things: features that have been removed from the DE (mostly as design decisions, the others will likely be back in due time) and people who don't like Plasma, because they feel it's mostly useless and the time could've been better spent designing something else. For these people, the project's taken a fundamental shift in its direction, and I don't see them coming back.

I actually have the same attitude towards the upcoming Gnome 3.0 and that awful Gnome-Shell; even if it's rock-solid when released, there's no way I'm touching it if they're sticking with the horrible new UI paradigm that they all seem to be cheerleading these days.

hanzomon4
July 14th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Wrong on both counts. Since someone's already pointed out how to do it in older versions of KDE, here's (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=875262&highlight=deskmenu) how to do it with compiz.

None of those are default actions and you have to install non-default packages. If this is the bench mark you want to set for the functionality to be considered possible then I'm quite sure an intrepid user could find a way to do the same in KDE4

CJ Master
July 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
1. No I don't see anything similar. The large task bar and over sized icons is the only thing similar. The rest is just Windows. I also heard from another user that KDE 4.3 doesn't have the over sized task bar anymore, so it's even less like Windows 7.

2. Except I never said you did. Just stating the obvious. No accusations.

3. Change (or remove) the animation duration in CompizConfigSettingsManager (CCSM). :rolleyes: And if that still doesn't work, you must have a very old computer, because GNOME is fast for me, and I'm on a 5 year old laptop, with a P4 chip, with about 600 MB's of RAM available.

1. It's the whole "style" that's similar. Large widgets, bit icons, panel transparency, etc.

2. What is this, the third time you're pushing off your experiences as fact? "stating the obvious?" Do tell me - what's obvious? That it crashes more then gnome? I'll say this one more time, maybe for you it does. For many other people it doesn't.

3. It's not part of compiz, it's stupidly part of the gnome-menu applet. You have to use Gedit to change it. The stupid part is that it's enable by default, and newbs don't know how to change it. They just assume Ubuntu (or any other GNOME distro) is slow.

Pasdar
July 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I just upgraded to KDE 4.3 RC2, and my memory usage is at 278 MB, 116 processes with no application running (except for system resources prog)... so obviously the guy who posted his so called screenshot of "kde with nothing running" with 160 processes and nearly 700 MB memory is a fake. I'll post a screenshot soon, i'm not on my PC at the moment...

maybe some other people can check too.

PS: If you've been on the PC for some time obviously it should be more than when you just got on. If you check it after an hour, and having done X and Y applications, you should similarly check it on GNOME after an hour with similar program usage in it.

quazi
July 14th, 2009, 09:45 PM
None of those are default actions and you have to install non-default packages. If this is the bench mark you want to set for the functionality to be considered possible then I'm quite sure an intrepid user could find a way to do the same in KDE4

Nautilus scripts certainly is default and I think nautilus actions might now be included in Jaunty. Compiz deskmenu is a plugin for the default Ubuntu WM. Additionally, it's trivial to set the default Gnome menu open with a right click on the desktop using Compiz (which is what I currently do right now).

Maybe I'm wrong, but this is absolutely impossible with KWin in its current state. I've spent a good amount of time searching for ANY way to modify/replace the menu and it's all hardcoded. So if you'd like to give an example of how you can customize the right-click menu while using the default WM in KDE4, I'd love to hear it.

hanzomon4
July 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Well I'll concede the point.. my Ubuntu is in the shop and I don't really have anything to go on but everyone's word, which I trust. I guess you could edit the source and recompile if it's that important.

Tipped OuT
July 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
1. It's the whole "style" that's similar. Large widgets, bit icons, panel transparency, etc.

2. What is this, the third time you're pushing off your experiences as fact? "stating the obvious?" Do tell me - what's obvious? That it crashes more then gnome? I'll say this one more time, maybe for you it does. For many other people it doesn't.

3. It's not part of compiz, it's stupidly part of the gnome-menu applet. You have to use Gedit to change it. The stupid part is that it's enable by default, and newbs don't know how to change it. They just assume Ubuntu (or any other GNOME distro) is slow.

1. Windows had that since Longhorn, which is way before KDE got all that transparency and crap.

2. What? I think you misunderstood me. Completely off of what I meant. It's okay.

3. Well, can't help you there. Works for me, as well as all of the other thousands of users.

I agree to disagree. How about you? :) Because we're just going to keep going on and on. Pointless.

Zorael
July 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
FUD-o-meter: [============0==]

Depending on which thread I read, sometimes KDE is mimicking Windows, sometimes it's mimicking OSX. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution) Heck, Xfce has a desktop too. Guess that means it's just copying ideas from GeOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%288-bit_operating_system%29)¹, amirite? Way to be original, stupid mouse mascot!

This belongs in recurring discussions.

¹(Which in turn copied it from someplace else, obviously.)

Tipped OuT
July 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
FUD-o-meter: [============0==]

Depending on which thread I read, sometimes KDE is mimicking Windows, sometimes it's mimicking OSX. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution) Heck, Xfce has a desktop too. Guess that means it's just copying ideas from GeOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%288-bit_operating_system%29)¹, amirite? Way to be original, stupid mouse mascot!

This belongs in recurring discussions.

¹(Which in turn copied it from someplace else, obviously.)

+1 :) I also love it when people say KDE is mimicking OS X.. I'm like... what???

CJ Master
July 15th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I agree to disagree. How about you? :) Because we're just going to keep going on and on. Pointless.

Yea, you're right.

ssri
July 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I just upgraded to KDE 4.3 RC2, and my memory usage is at 278 MB, 116 processes with no application running (except for system resources prog)... so obviously the guy who posted his so called screenshot of "kde with nothing running" with 160 processes and nearly 700 MB memory is a fake. I'll post a screenshot soon, i'm not on my PC at the moment...

maybe some other people can check too.

Bah, I'm still on intrepid with 4.2.2 (thanks ATI!), and it starts off consistently at around ~550MB. The last time I experienced any sound issue was in 4.1.x (a beta quality release). On 4.2.2, I seldom, if ever these days, experience plasma crashes. If it happens, it is almost always due to a wonky widget I compiled and tested. Since I'm waiting for the opensource video drivers to mature further (been hearing some good news on the R500 front), I'll try out 4.3.x on karmic. So far, it looks like it will be a solid release!

Pasdar
July 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Here you go, I made a screen just right now, with even more processes running 120 to be exact, check out memory usage (275.4 MB memory used).

GeneralZod
July 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Here you go, I made a screen just right now, with even more processes running 120 to be exact, check out memory usage (275.4 MB memory used).

Most GUI process managers report "memory usage" differently; can you show us the output of

free -m

?

Pasdar
July 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Most GUI process managers report "memory usage" differently; can you show us the output of

free -m

?

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1508 566 941 0 41 263
-/+ buffers/cache: 261 1246
Swap: 1427 0 1427

GeneralZod
July 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mem: 1508 566 941 0 41 263
-/+ buffers/cache: 261 1246
Swap: 1427 0 1427

Even better - that's 261MB without cache :)

Pasdar
July 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Even better - that's 261MB without cache :)

I thought it was the "566" that I had to look at.

GeneralZod
July 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I thought it was the "566" that I had to look at.

No, that figure includes files cached in memory by the kernel and is mostly irrelevant to the actual amount of memory "in use" by whatever processes you are currently running.

ZarathustraDK
July 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cherish the strengths and weaknesses in each DE, in the end the lessons learned benefit all of us.

the8thstar
July 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I decided to become enlightened... so I installed the Kubuntu desktop on my machine, along with my Gnome Desktop. And I even found how to make my wireless work!

Two remarks :

I wish there was a way to replace KDM with my old GDM
I've heard of the famed Bespin theme but I really have no clue how I should go about installing it.

Thanks for your help.

hyperdude111
July 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I decided to become enlightened... so I installed the Kubuntu desktop on my machine, along with my Gnome Desktop. And I even found how to make my wireless work!

Two remarks :

I wish there was a way to replace KDM with my old GDM
I've heard of the famed Bespin theme but I really have no clue how I should go about installing it.

Thanks for your help.

This will let you change between KDM and GDM to make it work you will need to re-boot.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

hyperdude111
July 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Those posting your free -m command results here's mine

Mem: 1859 1756 103 0 34 600
-/+ buffers/cache: 1121 738
Swap: 5514 78 5436

the8thstar
July 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
This will let you change between KDM and GDM to make it work you will need to re-boot.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Thanks alot hyperdude!

ssri
July 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM

Two remarks :

Thanks for your help.

Bespin should in your universe repos. You can search for it under synaptic, or to find the specific names of the packages, just search for it under aptitude

aptitude search bespin

then you should install the two packages for it.

Go to system settings->appearance and select bespin for your style and windows (decorations). Don't forget to select dots as your unhovered buttons in windows.

m4tic
July 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
This thread has grown in the past 2 days:guitar:

izizzle
July 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
It's COUNTDOWN Time! KDE 4.3 comes out on July 28 - 2 days before my birthday!

13 Days Left!

Anyone know how the update procedure will be handled in Kubuntu? Or will it be the usual: Add Source > apt update > apt urgrade

Pasdar
July 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
After an uptime of 7 hrs 45mins, having had virtualbox on the whole day working in MS Word 2007, and also using firefox, etc...

Mem: 1508 1174 333 0 46 624
-/+ buffers/cache: 502 1005
Swap: 1427 24 1403

CJ Master
July 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM

13 Days Left!

Anyone know how the update procedure will be handled in Kubuntu? Or will it be the usual: Add Source > apt update > apt urgrade

Unless you wait for Karmic you can't get 4.3. (That I know off.)

<3 Arch.

RiceMonster
July 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Well I'm going to try this when it comes out. KDE is usually too much for me, but I think it's pretty neat and flashy, so I'm always curious.

quazi
July 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM

<3 Arch.

The second RC for KDE4.3 is in the kubuntu jaunty backports, so, presumably, the final version of 4.3 will be there eventually.

EDIT:

Bespin should in your universe repos. You can search for it under synaptic, or to find the specific names of the packages, just search for it under aptitude

aptitude search bespin

then you should install the two packages for it.

Go to system settings->appearance and select bespin for your style and windows (decorations). Don't forget to select dots as your unhovered buttons in windows.

Other than through the repositories, how does one typically add window decorations? I was attempting to install aurorae (new KDE 4.3+ decorator), but I was getting a vague error with cmake. This seems like an unnecessarily tedious way to manage window decorations.

OutOfReach
July 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM

13 Days Left!

2 days before your birthday? what a coincidence...it comes out 2 days after my birthday. I'll consider KDE 4.3 as a late birthday present. :)

Gushter13
July 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Honestly GNOME has from the beginning always tried to keep up with KDE but it couldn't. People forget that KDE was there before GNOME and that the first GNOME was almost an exact visual imitation of KDE.

Here is Windows 95 that came out before either two showed their face:

http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/desktop/empty/win95.png

Here's the first KDE:

http://www.linux-user.de/ausgabe/2006/11/022-news-kde/kde1.jpg

Here's the first GNOME:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/GNOME-escritorio-1.x.png

Now let's go to the future. 2009,

Here is windows 7 (RTM):

http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/104291_win71-400.jpg

Here is KDE 4.3:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce_4.3-beta1/plasma_thumb.png

Here is GNOME 2.27:

Here is what I think: Windows (its shell) could only wish to look as good as KDE 4.3 does. :guitar: KDE made its own style from the beginning, GNOME made their DE similar, KDE kept on advancing to the point that it looks way more beautiful than Win7 (if anything MS stole some of KDE style for their Win7)

That's like saying Coca-Cola stole the flavor from Pepsi. (Load of c***)!

... GNOME looks almost the same it did in the beginning.

They have made a stable DE! Where have you been for the past 10 years?!

If I had to choose between looks and stability (basicly Kubuntu vs Ubuntu) I would ALWAYS choose stability. Most people would too.

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM

<3 Arch.

Yeo...and there's a (fair) chance Arch users will get 4.3 before the official release notice even makes it onto the KDE website.

hyperdude111
July 16th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Yeo...and there's a (fair) chance Arch users will get 4.3 before the official release notice even makes it onto the KDE website.

What !? Arch do not make KDE so how is it possible for Arch to have KDE 4.3 before its released ?

Icehuck
July 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
What !? Arch do not make KDE so how is it possible for Arch to have KDE 4.3 before its released ?

Because we're cool like that.

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Because we're so Hip our bottoms are about to fall off. ;)

Srsly, it is because Arch STRIVES to remain Vanilla in packaging, and in so doing we patch things as little as possible-better still never. Thus as soon as code gets released it gets packaged and posted, no (extra) delay. KDE4.2.0 final was on my machine a day or so before it was officially "released"

Vanilla KDE4.3 might be slower this time though as they are splitting packages, rather than remaining strictly upstream vanilla.

GeneralZod
July 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM

Releases of KDE are usually tagged and uploaded a week before "official" release to give packagers time to package it (and find any packaging bugs).

Pogeymanz
July 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
A few things I still don't like about KDE4:

1. The settings GUI. It's hard to give specifics, but it just isn't intuitive at all.

2. No right-click menu on the root window. I had this in KDE3.5, Openbox, PekWM, and XFCE, all of which I used and loved.

That's pretty much it. Overall, I like where it's going a lot. I do dislike a lot of the default settings and how "smoothness" seems to be equivalent to slowness in terms of desktop switching, menu opening, etc. Luckily, most of that can be fixed.

Zorael
July 16th, 2009, 06:26 PM
1. The settings GUI. It's hard to give specifics, but it just isn't intuitive at all.
I find this particularly irksome in GNOME. I *always* get confused by the Preferences vs Administration menus. "What's in which?", and then I have to go through it all. I understand there's a control panel nowadays, though, much like systemsettings.

hyperdude111
July 16th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I find this particularly irksome in GNOME. I *always* get confused by the Preferences vs Administration menus. "What's in which?", and then I have to go through it all. I understand there's a control panel nowadays, though, much like systemsettings.

I never got the "preferences" "administration" menus. I found them too confusing. I had to use gnome do to load some apps as the menus were infuriating.

RiceMonster
July 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Time travel

xebian
July 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM

<3 Arch.

I have 4.3 in jaunty, and even daily snapshot of 4.3.6 (AKA 4.4 )

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have 4.3 in jaunty, and even daily snapshot of 4.3.6 (AKA 4.4 )

That is rather astounding considering that KDE4.4 does not even have a feature plan much less a release schedule yet!...and as I recall Beta 1 is what 4.*.6 is designated.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Here is what I think: Windows (its shell) could only wish to look as good as KDE 4.3 does. :guitar: KDE made its own style from the beginning, GNOME made their DE similar, KDE kept on advancing to the point that it looks way more beautiful than Win7 (if anything MS stole some of KDE style for their Win7)... GNOME looks almost the same it did in the beginning.

LOL... :mrgreen:

gormac
July 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
That is rather astounding considering that KDE4.4 does not even have a feature plan much less a release schedule yet!...and as I recall Beta 1 is what 4.*.6 is designated.
Not really, the kde-neon packages are pre-alpha KDE 4.4 (4.3.60). kde-neon are not official ubuntu packages though.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I have always said that the version of KDE4 I will start using is 4.3. Well, I have to correct that statement a little. The version of KDE4 I will start using is 4.2.4. I have it on my sidux box and it is working fine.

AND it is a pleasure to cast my eyes upon. Coming from a graphic design background, I hated gNome's and kde 3.5's look. But KDE 4.2.4 is a dream.... 4.3 should be even better.

izizzle
July 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to add the KDE 4.3 source into Kubuntu 9.04 then upgrade.

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be able to add the KDE 4.3 source into Kubuntu 9.04 then upgrade.

From Ma Kubuntu days of Yore-there were PPAs that you could backport from setup for the purpose..although they usually took a few days to package things.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM

It is available for 9.04:

Update: Users of our stable 9.04 release can now install it from the Kubuntu Backports PPA.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu jaunty main

Skripka
July 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
It is available for 9.04:

Ummm no it isn't the Jaunty backports only have RC2 still.

Antman
July 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Ummm no it isn't the Jaunty backports only have RC2 still.

Obviously... since 4.3 final isn't even out yet. :roll:
I'm referring to the 4.3 RC2. Which is available for Jaunty.

izizzle
July 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Yea I'm gonna upgrade when the final version comes out. right now I'm getting interested in Openbox...

oobuntoo
July 17th, 2009, 06:44 AM

If I had to choose between looks and stability (basicly Kubuntu vs Ubuntu) I would ALWAYS choose stability. Most people would too.

Call me superficial if you want. Using Gnome is like staring at an ugly and boring woman all day and there's very little you could do to pimp her up :lol:

CJ Master
July 17th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I'll say it one more time, anyone that thinks *real* KDE is like Kubuntu deserves to be hanged. I'll also say this: KDE 4.2 has never crashed on me. Once.

Plus it looks awesome <3.

Tipped OuT
July 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I'll say it one more time, anyone that thinks *real* KDE is like Kubuntu deserves to be hanged. I'll also say this: KDE 4.2 has never crashed on me. Once.

Well lets tell Kubuntu to kick it up a notch, cause' they're making KDE look bad. :P

Zlatan
July 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Well lets tell Kubuntu to kick it up a notch, cause' they're making KDE look bad. :P

+1 :)
I'm always comming back to gnome. It is better if you work and do not stare at the DE- how beautiful it is...

nikhilk
July 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM

+1
KDE 4.2 had never crashed on me too, never! IMO, the default openSuSE KDE look is much better.

Pasdar
July 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Ubuntu is no match for OpenSUSE in terms of design. There is a lot Ubuntu can learn from some of the other main distros.

the8thstar
July 17th, 2009, 02:01 PM
After a few days use of KDE 4.2 (Kubuntu), I am finally starting to find my way around.

The appearance settings are a *NIGHTMARE* to work with : too many settings scattered around the place... and they don't work right away (I've had weird windows artefacts).

I like the gloss and bling of KDE compared to the more simpler looking Gnome. However, I still prefer Gnome because it's so much easier to set.

Now, I wonder how I can use the translucent bar of KDE and use it in my Gnome Environment...

hyperdude111
July 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
After a few days use of KDE 4.2 (Kubuntu), I am finally starting to find my way around.

The appearance settings are a *NIGHTMARE* to work with : too many settings scattered around the place... and they don't work right away (I've had weird windows artefacts).

I like the gloss and bling of KDE compared to the more simpler looking Gnome. However, I still prefer Gnome because it's so much easier to set.

Now, I wonder how I can use the translucent bar of KDE and use it in my Gnome Environment...

You can run kde inside gnome. From terminal run "plasma"

Antman
July 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Ok, I just loaded Kubuntu on my test laptop and updated it to 4.3 RC2 via the Backports PPA.
Result... my system was hosed...:(
I could log on but the tool bar and plasmoids were screwed up. Also I would get random crash messages on the screen.

Hmmm... ok... Kubuntu experiment done.:lolflag:

Zorael
July 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Ok, I just loaded Kubuntu on my test laptop and updated it to 4.3 RC2 via the Backports PPA.
Result... my system was hosed...:(
I could log on but the tool bar and plasmoids were screwed up. Also I would get random crash messages on the screen.

Hmmm... ok... Kubuntu experiment done.:lolflag:

True story: I downloaded a daily live build of Ubuntu Karmic onto a usb stick and booted up my old Dell machine. It hung right away after displaying the desktop! Needless to say, I didn't debug it or anything; I just forcefully powered down the system and had cake instead. I sure learned to stay away from Ubuntu that night, whoowee. (Also the brown background gave me migraine.)

(Turns out the machine has a troublesome Intel video controller, but that's beside the point, amirite? Iamrite. The cake was delicious, by the way.)

Closed_Port
July 17th, 2009, 09:16 PM
true story: I downloaded a daily live build of ubuntu karmic onto a usb stick and booted up my old dell machine. It hung right away after displaying the desktop! Needless to say, i didn't debug it or anything; i just forcefully powered down the system and had cake instead. I sure learned to stay away from ubuntu that night, whoowee. (also the brown background gave me migraine.)

(turns out the machine has a troublesome intel video controller, but that's beside the point, amirite? Iamrite. The cake was delicious, by the way.)
+1
:d

lykwydchykyn
July 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
"I tried $NEW_SOFTWARE on my computer, but it was different and confusing and not what I am used to. I played with it for a little bit, but my $HARDWARE didn't seem to work right with it and it didn't behave enough like $OLD_SOFTWARE so I went back to $OLD_SOFTWARE and never looked back!"

hmmm.... where have I heard comments like those before... (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)

:popcorn: