PDA

View Full Version : Do you try to get others to use Linux? If so, why?

aysiu
January 24th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Lately, there have been a couple of threads that brought up the issue of whether or not to convert Windows users to Linux and what circumstances would be best for that.

Just a poll. Once again, I'm curious.

P.S. I'm asking why you want others to use Linux. This doesn't mean you're trying to convert people who don't want to be converted... unless, of course, you check the sixth option indicating you're a Linux zealot.

P.P.S. Recommended reading for those who answer in the affirmative: How to convert Windows users to Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=58862)

Gustav
January 24th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well, I don't care if they run Linux as long as they're running something free (as in freedom)

mstlyevil
January 24th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I do tell people I am using Ubuntu/Linux. I do not go out of my way to convert people though. When they ask about it I just tell them it's strengths and limitations and just leave it up to them if they think they might want to give Linux a shot. Most people just are not ready for Linux and those people should just stick with Windows if they are not willing or able to learn how to use Linux. Also I tell people that Linux is not Windows and it never will be so if they think they are going to get another form of Windows I tend to shatter that notion.

I think it is a waste of time and energy to try to convert people who obviously do not want a change. However, there are people out there for various reasons that are willing to try Linux and I am more than willing to help them get started. I am also thinking of putting it on a nieces PC because she is always downloading and installing junk software and I am tired of having to fix the damage every few weeks. Since I am the one always fixing her PC I am going to make it much more difficult for her to mess it up.

Gustav
January 24th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Although I'm trying to convert as many as possible I'm not stupid and try to push it on people that won't like it.

Lord Illidan
January 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
The online community is great, but I wish I had people to share the experience with, people I can meet at school, and talk to them about it.
I often hear people talking about their mis-experiences with Windows, and I try to guide them towards Linux, but it rarely works. People tend to accept Windows with all its mistakes, then when a Linux app has a bug or crashes, it is the end of the world.
I also believe that Linux needs more people for greater driver support, etc

Now, however, I have stopped trying to get people to use Linux, I am sort of, less enthusiastic than before. People are thinking of me as "obsessed" and imho, it is not my desired image..and it seems to be in vain, if they don't want to convert, let them suffer.

Dragonbite
January 24th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I think Linux is a great option, but if somebody wants wants something that walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck (windows) then there's no reason to try and convert them to use a swan(linux, mac, etc.)!

On the other hand, I do let people know about my own experience and interest in Linux so that they can ask questions, see that somebody DOES use it, and have a source to counter the FUD going around by various users (not to mention large corporations).

briancurtin
January 24th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Although I'm trying to convert as many as possible I'm not stupid and try to push it on people that won't like it.
exactly. this is how i think it should be. if people want to run windows and have trouble with it, let them run windows and have trouble with it. it isnt a contest to see how many people you can switch to linux, but i think some people look at it that way. i got a friend to try it out because he came to me about it, and hes been running SuSE for about 3 months. i like it that way much better, people coming to me asking about it rather than the other way around.

while a lot of windows users have problems, ive never known any personally that are interested in switching operating systems because of it. it came with their computer, so that means it is what they are going to use. ive made hints to people before that it is free and that it is powerful and such, but they bought a computer with windows on it and that is what they would like to use, problems or not.

Vlammetje
January 24th, 2006, 08:48 PM
I don't really try to spread linux at all. Others are free to choose whatever they want, and some of them, such as myself, come to linux completely unaided and stick around. Others won't. That is their choice and completely fine by me.

In contrast with the above, I do usually find time to gloat to people who come over and to show them my PC. If anybody proves to be somewhat interested I do have a (smallish) stack of live CD's and install CD's conveniently around.... :-\"

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 08:52 PM

You are trying to convert people but not pushing it on them, let me ask you then, how do you do that?

Allvarligt talat. ;)

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I don't really try to spread linux at all. Others are free to choose whatever they want, and some of them, such as myself, come to linux completely unaided and stick around. Others won't. That is their choice and completely fine by me.

In contrast with the above, I do usually find time to gloat to people who come over and to show them my PC. If anybody proves to be somewhat interested I do have a (smallish) stack of live CD's and install CD's conveniently around.... :-\"

Now see THIS i agree with, if someone is interested, tell them about it, but don't push it into their faces.

And there are LOADS of problems with Linux, don't pretend that once they have Linux on their box they will be fine because they won't.

Gustav
January 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
You are trying to convert people but not pushing it on them, let me ask you then, how do you do that?

Allvarligt talat. ;)
I try to tell people what's good with GNU/Linux without hiding the not so good stuff.

And then when they are softened I have a Ubuntu CD in my bag that I throw at them :)

tufkakf
January 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I try to "convert" them, if I think it makes sense, that is, if I think that Linux does what they want from a computer without all the problems of Windows.

xequence
January 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
I dont use linux, I dont try to make other people use it, but if I see someone with a big spyware or virus problem or something in windows ill point out to them that linux is a nice useable OS that they might want to check out.

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I try to tell people what's good with GNU/Linux without hiding the not so good stuff.

And then when they are softened I have a Ubuntu CD in my bag that I throw at them :)

Oh, ok, i wouldn't say that is trying to convert them though, rather informing them of the alternative.

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I try to "convert" them, if I think it makes sense, that is, if I think that Linux does what they want from a computer without all the problems of Windows.

Same thing there, offering an alternative that may be better for them.

When i hear about "converting" i think about the preaching "windows is baaaad, horrible, bugs, spyware, viruses, big men dressed in black will come take you away" kinda stuff.

Windows XP is a pretty stable and great OS, it can be properly secured (it doesn't have any real proactive security measures but last i looked, neither does Ubuntu), it's not the best, far from it but it's not all that bad either.

Of course, if it was up to me everyone should run OpenBSD and be happy with it. (this is meant as a joke, i don't care what you run)

Stormy Eyes
January 24th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I don't evangelize for heavy metal.
I don't evangelize for egoism.
Why would I evangelize for Linux?

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I don't evangelize for heavy metal.
I don't evangelize for egoism.
Why would I evangelize for Linux?

Amen!

aysiu
January 24th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Windows XP is a pretty stable and great OS, it can be properly secured (it doesn't have any real proactive security measures but last i looked, neither does Ubuntu), it's not the best, far from it but it's not all that bad either. I agree. In fact, I ultimately left Windows for Linux's eye candy, not for the security or stability.

I also think anyone who doesn't know enough to secure her Windows XP from adware and viruses is likely to be a Linspire user running as root all the time anyway...

tufkakf
January 24th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I agree. In fact, I ultimately left Windows for Linux's eye candy, not for the security or stability.

I also think anyone who doesn't know enough to secure her Windows XP from adware and viruses is likely to be a Linspire user running as root all the time anyway...
I disagree. I think WinXP is a horrible OS, to put it mildly.

And contrary to popular perception, Linspire doesn't run as root by default and I don't think there's anything wrong with using Linspire if it does what you want.

mstlyevil
January 24th, 2006, 09:39 PM

And contrary to popular perception, Linspire doesn't run as root by default and I don't think there's anything wrong with using Linspire if it does what you want.

I used to use Linspire and yes it does run as root by default.

tufkakf
January 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Not anymore from what I read recently.

At the very least it now asks you to create a non-root user, you are not forced to do so though.

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:42 PM

That's nice, would you care to explain WHY you think XP is a horrible OS? (as an OS, leave the users and admins out of it or we can just say that Linux is lousy too because against stupid users and sloppy admins there is NO protection for any OS).

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:44 PM

At the very least it now asks you to create a non-root user, you are not forced to do so though.

And in OpenBSD you are NOT asked to create a non-root account yet it is percieved as the safest OS bar none.

Again, stupid users can make ANY OS wide open, smart users can make any OS secure.

23meg
January 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I recommend Linux based OSes to only those who I think are ready for them. To others I just say that I'm using Ubuntu, to raise curiosity.

I believe in concentrating my effort on making Ubuntu and FOSS in general irresistible to those people, rather than advocating to them.

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I used to use Linspire and yes it does run as root by default.

Love your sig man... :D

tufkakf
January 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
That's nice, would you care to explain WHY you think XP is a horrible OS? (as an OS, leave the users and admins out of it or we can just say that Linux is lousy too because against stupid users and sloppy admins there is NO protection for any OS).
Oh, defaulting to admin is a pretty good reason.
Other than that, how about, no shell.

P.S.: I don't think we really should hijack this thread discussing the merits or lack thereof of WinXP.

BSDFreak
January 24th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Oh, defaulting to admin is a pretty good reason.
Other than that, how about, no shell.

P.S.: I don't think we really should hijack this thread discussing the merits or lack thereof of WinXP.

Ok, so the most secure OS of all OS's according to experts also suffers from this, that is OpenBSD.

No shell? Ehm, last i looked there was one.

This thread is about Windows and Linux users, i think this is relevant.

Unless the OP disagrees with me, it is his thread and i'll end this discussion if he asks me to do so.

aysiu
January 24th, 2006, 09:53 PM

At the very least it now asks you to create a non-root user, you are not forced to do so though. No, it doesn't. Not just from what I've read--from what I've used, unless they have a newer version than 5.0.

I'd hardly consider calling the addition of a regular user part of "advanced configuration options" (http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/293/36.gif) "asking" you to create a new user.

ardchoille
January 25th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I preach a little Linux to everyone I meet. If they want to hear more, I'll answer their questions. If they don't seem to want to hear it, I won't say any more about it. If they want to try Linux, I have 10 distros that I offer as choices, and explain the difference between them, with Ubuntu being the preferred distro; and links to several other distros for info. I will help them install Linux, and explain everything, and set everything up. I make myself available via several different avenues (email, irc, IM, etc) in case they need future help. the only thing I ask in return is that they take the time to learn Linux well enough that they can go on and help other interested people install and use Linux (29 of the people I have switched have gone on to help others switch). I have helped 98 people/businesses switch to Linux from Windows and I enjoy it very much - all my friends and family now use Linux as their sole OS. I spent last weekend installing Linux (CentOS, because of the long life span), yes, this is what I do with my weekends, on 4 machines for a friend of a friend who runs a business from her home and she has reports that she has never been this happy with her business computers before.

Most of the people I encounter have never heard of Linux, and the ones who do switch are amazed that they can do so much that Windows can't.

Do I try to get others to use Linux? If they want to learn about it, I'll do what I can to teach them.

cjm5229
January 25th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Actually I have the Ubuntu 5.10 DVD bittorrent running right now. So I can burn one to give to a coworker of mine. (another Truck Driver). He was talking about spending $150 to get a legit copy of XP, I told him I would give a free OS that works better than XP, and he could put it on as many computers as he wants without haveing to license each one. He likes to build his own computers, so he shouldn't have too many problems with compatibility. So I may not preach it to everyone, but I am trying to pass it on to a few that might find it it useful.

PatrickMay16
January 25th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I mention that I'm using Linux when it's relevant to the subject of conversation. Sometimes, I'll also say that it's fun to mess around with Linux on a spare computer or something. But I never try to "convert" people.

mohapi
January 25th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I see people with miserable Windows experiences and want them to know there's an alternative.
I think this sums it up for me. Sometimes I feel like the prophet, shouting from the rooftop, "It doesn't have to be like this! You too can be free!" :D

HenryTheGreat
January 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I tend to not tell others because the ones I'd tell are all P2P users, and very computer illiterate. But if someone asks, I will tell (but I won't try to convert them, I save that for my best friends :D )