PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read these books?

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Hi,

I am currently looking into becoming a sys-admin, i have purchased these 2 books:

Essential System Administration, 3rd edition,
Running Linux, 5th Edition,

Both are Oreilly books.

So far am very pleased with them...

Has anyone read them or had any experience with them??

any info, as usual much appreciated

matthew
January 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I haven't read the first one. I have read Running Linux and it is quite good as is everything I have had experience with that O'Reilly has published.

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 09:04 PM
cool,

What edition did you read??

Anyone on the other book?

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Double post sorry...

forum real slow and buggy at the moment...(not complaining just justifying the double post...) ;o)

matthew
January 24th, 2006, 10:40 PM
What edition did you read?? I have the 4th Ed.

mstlyevil
January 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I have the 4th Ed.

Same here.

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Would you guys say it is one of the best references for linux professionals?
or is just good for hobbyists??

matthew
January 24th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Would you guys say it is one of the best references for linux professionals?
or is just good for hobbyists??It is an excellent foundational book for learning the basics of Linux--from absolute newbie to intermediate user. It is my most often recommended first Linux book as it provides a very solid foundation to build on. It isn't intended FOR professionals, but if you are looking for something that will help you on your way to ultimately BECOME a professional it will serve you very well.

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Exactly my goal...

Thank you for the confidence boost!! will attack it tomorrow... ;o)

Lovechild
January 24th, 2006, 11:17 PM
O'Reilly makes good books, I have several of their publications on my shelf. Their Programming ASP.NET book e.g. is excellent (enough with the boos and hisses).

For that line of work Bill Cheswick' internet security book might be worth a read.

linuxden
January 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Lovechild,

Will look into internet security and firewalls from that author... for the time being i have both those books to read...
2000pages in total to filter through...!! Wow !!

jdodson
January 24th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Hi,

I am currently looking into becoming a sys-admin, i have purchased these 2 books:

Essential System Administration, 3rd edition,
Running Linux, 5th Edition,

Both are Oreilly books.

So far am very pleased with them...

Has anyone read them or had any experience with them??

any info, as usual much appreciated

i have not read them. i have read a bunch of docs on the web though, those helped.

i have a linux network admin guide from orielly, that one is pretty good. but its mostly trial and error, i also source the gnu/linux admins here at work for how to do certain stuff. i know enough to keep www.jdodson.org (http://www.jdodson.org) humming along without major hiccups.

google is a good source too.

linuxden
January 25th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Jdodson,

I too have mainly learnt all i know re linux and networking from the net, My fav site is linux.org they have some great how to's. These 2 book s are going to be my first structured lessons, that is something i have not found on the internet... some structure...

Obviously Ubuntuforums.org is also a great resource and great community to be part of....

jdodson
January 25th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Jdodson,

I too have mainly learnt all i know re linux and networking from the net, My fav site is linux.org they have some great how to's. These 2 book s are going to be my first structured lessons, that is something i have not found on the internet... some structure...

Obviously Ubuntuforums.org is also a great resource and great community to be part of....

good call, structure is a great thing. i read programming books all the time for that very reason.

rock it.

Lovechild
January 25th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Lovechild,

Will look into internet security and firewalls from that author... for the time being i have both those books to read...
2000pages in total to filter through...!! Wow !!

If you happen to have Real Player support and about 2 hours to spare the author did an excellent presentation at the Danish Linux conference LinuxForum back in 2003 - it is archived here: http://streaming.linuxforum.dk/sections/2003/cheswick/view

I was lucky enough to be in the audience that day and it is one of the single most entertaining talks I've ever been to (surpassed only by Dan Klein' Flying Linux the following year, which is also archive on that page)

earobinson
January 25th, 2006, 07:23 PM
maybe we need a books section....

Lovechild
January 25th, 2006, 07:29 PM
maybe we need a books section....

How about something like an "I recommend" bit in the profile, thus if you like a certain poster you can go see his recommendations for reading, boardgames, etc.

linuxden
January 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM
good call, structure is a great thing. i read programming books all the time for that very reason.
rock it.
Will do!!!

earobinson,

A books section sounds great, or perhaps we could review some books regarding linux...
Mods what do you think?

matthew
January 25th, 2006, 11:48 PM
maybe we need a books section....You know, this question comes up regularly. Maybe it's not a bad idea?

linuxden
January 25th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Mathew,

You have one of those powerpuff icons... are you a Mod??

It would be such a cool thing to get a "Linux books" section, with reviews and comments...

matthew
January 25th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Mathew,

You have one of those powerpuff icons... are you a Mod??

It would be such a cool thing to get a "Linux books" section, with reviews and comments...No. I was just feeling left out one day so I made my own to be a part of the cool crowd. :)

linuxden
January 25th, 2006, 11:58 PM
No. I was just feeling left out one day so I made my own to be a part of the cool crowd. :)

LMAO!!!

guess you knwo Kassetra and Ubuntu-Geek well enough to ask them?? I think with the "forum theme" last night i might not be the best persn to ask for anything...

matthew
January 26th, 2006, 12:36 AM
LMAO!!!

guess you knwo Kassetra and Ubuntu-Geek well enough to ask them?? I think with the "forum theme" last night i might not be the best persn to ask for anything...They're both pretty good people, so I wouldn't worry about approaching them. I did start a discussion and poll here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=121694), so let's see where it goes.

linuxden
January 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Thanks for starting the thread and poll.

I voted, and will follow it closely.
So that i can post a review/Recommendation of these 2 books when i have finished reading them! You'll probably see me there in lets say 2 months... LMAO

There real big books...