PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disadvantages of upgrading to 9.04

tosh-l33
July 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Im using Intrepid (8.10) now and I am en route (few hours left) to upgrading to Jaunty (9.04). What disadvantages/data losses might I encounter due to this upgrade? Will I still have all my personal stuff like themes, amarok playlists, firefox stored information and other things? And what can be the possible negative effects of using Jaunty? I have never done an upgrade before (Intrepid is my first Ubuntu) so I am unsure of the effects.
Any help will be appreciated, thanx.

PS: n00b here, so please talk in a language I can understand!

Lunx
July 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I did a fresh install the other day and realised I didn't have my live CD of Jaunty, so I popped in an Intrepid CD and then as soon as it was installed I ran the upgrade option. Had no problems and everything was back as it should have been once I reinstalled some of my hidden user files I'd backed up first.

Been using 9.04 since February and haven't had a drama with it, runs better than Intrepid did on my machine (sound is a lot better now than it used to be)

tosh-l33
July 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Thanx for the response.

"everything was back as it should have been once I reinstalled some of my hidden user files I'd backed up first"---Could you please clarify?

Lunx
July 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Will I still have all my personal stuff like themes, amarok playlists, firefox stored information and other things?

Just make sure to back-up your hidden files (press Ctrl + H in your home folder to show them). That way if you have any problems you should be able to delete the new .whatever directory and replace it with the earlier saved copy. This will make it easy to get everything set back the way you like it with your personal settings, without needing to reconfigure them. So for instance if you've backed-up your .amarok directory, you could simply run amarok once you've updated, go into your hidden files and folders, delete the .amarok file you find there, replace it with the folder you saved earlier, and Robert is the brother of one of your parents, all your settings and play-lists should be there again.

tosh-l33
July 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM
K....thanx :D

motapa
July 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I first started with ubuntu 6.06, then upgraded to 8.04. This was a default ubuntu installation. I later installed xfce-desktop. So I want to know, are there any possible installations if I upgrade usign xubuntu-alternate disc.

Anxious Nut
July 13th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Im using Intrepid (8.10) now and I am en route (few hours left) to upgrading to Jaunty (9.04). What disadvantages/data losses might I encounter due to this upgrade? Will I still have all my personal stuff like themes, amarok playlists, firefox stored information and other things? And what can be the possible negative effects of using Jaunty? I have never done an upgrade before (Intrepid is my first Ubuntu) so I am unsure of the effects.
Any help will be appreciated, thanx.

Hey, I just wanna let you know that once it's upgraded, you'll not be able to zap (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). I can never live without it!!!

tosh-l33
July 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Damn! I miss zap, coz now im dun upgrading! :'(
Why did they kick it out? :S

raymondh
July 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Damn! I miss zap, coz now im dun upgrading! :'(
Why did they kick it out? :S

:) Just a friendly reminder to read the release notes. Also, try out the liveCD (if possible) in live session to see how things work out.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

Happy Ubuntu-ing.

oldos2er
July 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
You can install dontzap and use it to re-enable Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc if you prefer. sudo dontzap -d

Post Monkeh
July 13th, 2009, 07:54 PM
you can also use right ctrl & printscrn & k