PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitions listing is blank

bijugop
July 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I downloaded ubuntu-9.04-desktop-amd64.iso using torrent and burnt the file into a CD. While installing, the manage partition page (step 4 of 7) does not list any partitions (completely blank). I am unable to proceed with the installation.

I have Windows XP SP2 already installed on my AMD 64 bit PC.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Frank Wilson
July 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You can download a program called "Easeus partition master" on your XP os which can help cleaning and sorting out the space on your hd you want to put aside for ubuntu.
If that dosen't help then it was the download, it might take a little longer but ordering a official CD is well worth it.

bijugop
July 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I tried the following other options also, but with no success.

1. Downloaded ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso and burnt to CD. The same problem (partition list is empty) came up while installing.
2. Checked for any disk errors. None found. Created Linux ext2 and swap partitions using Partition Manager and tried installing using ubuntu-9.04-desktop-AMD64 Live CD. The result is the same.
3. Installed ubuntu-9.04-desktop-AMD64 inside windows using Wubi. But the systems stops responding when Ubuntu boots up.

Finally to confirm if it is a problem with my hard disk, I tried Ubuntu version 7.04. The "Prepare Partition" page was showing all the partitions on my hard disk. And the installation was successfull.

It seems that Ubuntu installer (from 8.x onwards) deosn't recogonise the hard disk (Samsung).

Any solutions/suggestions.

Frank Wilson
July 14th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Out of my league, sorry.