PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu

healee
July 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Coincidentally I call my ubuntu system "ubuntu". Every time I do a sudo I get the message "sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu" even though it has no problem executing the command. What does this mean? Why does it do what it does?

JohnnySage50307
July 13th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I'm not entirely certain, but it is possible that "ubuntu" is a restricted hostname, much like how "root" is restricted. My advice is to change your hostname to something like ABC-Ubuntu, where "ABC" can be your initials.

healee
July 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I'm not entirely certain, but it is possible that "ubuntu" is a restricted hostname, much like how "root" is restricted. My advice is to change your hostname to something like ABC-Ubuntu, where "ABC" can be your initials.
Thanks! Where do we change the hostname???

wojox
July 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
gksu gedit /etc/hostname

doas777
July 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
hit Alt + F2 and enter
gksu gedit /etc/hosts

here is mine:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 21of2

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhostsmake sure that there is a line like:

127.0.0.1 ubuntuif it is followed with '.local' or .domain.com or whatever, then sudo will not work. change it back to look like the line above, save and exit gedit. then you shoudl be able to sudo.

gutsy and hardy used to append my fully qualified domain name every time I opened and closed the network manager. ultimatly i added 21of2.domainname.net to the end of the localhost line so it would stop.

good luck

healee
July 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
gksu gedit /etc/hostname
Thank you! When do we use "gksu" instead of "sudo". It doesn't even ask me to enter password.

healee
July 14th, 2009, 01:13 AM
hit Alt + F2 and enter
gksu gedit /etc/hosts

here is mine:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 21of2

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhostsmake sure that there is a line like:

127.0.0.1 ubuntuif it is followed with '.local' or .domain.com or whatever, then sudo will not work. change it back to look like the line above, save and exit gedit. then you shoudl be able to sudo.

gutsy and hardy used to append my fully qualified domain name every time I opened and closed the network manager. ultimatly i added 21of2.domainname.net to the end of the localhost line so it would stop.

good luck
Thank you! Having got the hostname set in the host file, the error message does not come up any more. I wonder why every "sudo" needs to resolve the hostname.

doas777
July 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you! When do we use "gksu" instead of "sudo". It doesn't even ask me to enter password.

gksu is for graphical applications, whereas sudo is for command line apps. gksu usually asks for a password, but both sudo and gksu share a timer, and if a subsequent sudo is used before the timer expires, then the access is granted (since you just gave it your passwd a min ago.)

have fun

healee
July 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM
gksu is for graphical applications, whereas sudo is for command line apps. gksu usually asks for a password, but both sudo and gksu share a timer, and if a subsequent sudo is used before the timer expires, then the access is granted (since you just gave it your passwd a min ago.)

have fun
Thank you for your great help!

healee
July 17th, 2009, 04:36 AM
When I tried the same on my laptop with ubuntu 9.04 installed I got the following errors. Please help!

healee@ubuntu-laptop:~$ gksu gedit /etc/hostname
No protocol specified
(gedit:3904): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
healee@ubuntu-laptop:~$ gksu gedit /etc/hosts
No protocol specified
(gedit:3906): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0