PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dependency Problems when upgrading!



shinnphoto
July 13th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Help! I tried to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 (to get current and possibly upgrade even further), but I keep running into an error while trying to configure libpam-runtime. Here's the output from sudo apt-get -f install:


shinnphoto /: sudo apt-get -f install
[sudo] password for andrew:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libuuid1
Recommended packages:
uuid-runtime
The following packages will be upgraded:
libuuid1
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 298 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/41.1kB of archives.
After unpacking 8192B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up libpam-runtime (0.99.7.1-5ubuntu6.1) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libpam-runtime.postinst: 19: md5sum: not found


It always hangs on that "md5sum: not found", and my entire distro upgrade is hosed. This is a production web server, so I can't just wipe it clean and install the latest version from scratch. How do I resolve the dependency issue?

Partyboi2
July 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi, try reinstalling the libpam-runtime package.

sudo apt-get --reinstall install libpam-runtime
sudo apt-get -f install

shinnphoto
July 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
It's gotten worse. apt-get won't work, because it can't connect to the internet.

Yesterday, I tried to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 following these steps:
1) I added the old-releases repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
2) sudo apt-get update
3) sudo apt-get install update-manager-core
4) sudo do-release-upgrade

The installation hung while installing libpam_rumtime, saying that no MD5 was found.

Since then, I haven't been able to SSH into the server, and I can't ping it, either. It seems there's a problem with the network interfaces. I disabled the firewall, but I'm still not able to connect to the server. I checked /etc/resolv.conf, and the only entry there was: nameserver 127.0.0.1.
I need help checking the other network interfaces.

If we can't fix this installation, I'm happy to ditch it and start from scratch with a new one, but I need to know how to get the data off. Thanks for your help!