PDA

View Full Version : An alternate UI for Gnome-Shell (aka Gnome 3.0)?

TheLastDodo
July 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Here's a little mockup that I ran across on gnome-look; what do you all think of the UI concepts behind it, as compared to what we've seen of Gnome-Shell so far? (not the look, just the idea of how the desktop would work)

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/A+Gnome-Shell+Variant?action=content&content=108332

Jimleko211
July 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I would so use that mockup as a UI if it was made available...so much better than the "zoom out and select an app" thing they have/were having on.

juancarlospaco
July 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I like bleeding windows corners, so i don't like it,
just like KDE, you open a rounded corner menu and it uses 75% of the screen.

Linux desktop need to be lightweight and full of features.

CJ Master
July 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Love it actually. I think the file menu needs much more work though. It should be easier to just have a list of files and a search box at the bottom.

MasterNetra
July 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I like bleeding windows corners, so i don't like it,
just like KDE, you open a rounded corner menu and it uses 75% of the screen.

Linux desktop need to be lightweight and full of features.

Full of Features and light weight? I didn't think that was possible..but then again I'm probably thinking about windows verison of being filled with features. :p

Besides whats wrong with having it not bleed by default yet allow it to be enabled? Shouldn't it be about choice? I actually like the OP's mock up.

And on a side note I would like to see a Ubuntu version of WIndow's Ctrl+Alt+Del, with Ubuntu temporaly freezing everything in same manner it does for when your entering the sudo password graphically then opens up System Monitor, granted it shouldn't freeze if you just open system monitor from menu, the freeze aspect is just for system emergency situations (like a resource munching game goes down and its about to take your system with it via perpetual freeze while resource munchin. Has happened to me.)

lovinglinux
July 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
My alternative for Gnome-Shell is...

sudo apt-get install kde-core plasma && sudo apt-get remove gnome-shell

;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119371&d=1246304839

Jimleko211
July 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
The only thing I'm thinking that's bad about this mockup, is that I don't see where you would go to launch a program or anything. For the normal desktop user that just wants to browse and listen to music, maybe write an email, this is perfect, but for someone who wants to play a specific game or launch a program that's out of the normal, I don't see how that would work.

CJ Master
July 13th, 2009, 12:45 AM
The only thing I'm thinking that's bad about this mockup, is that I don't see where you would go to launch a program or anything. For the normal desktop user that just wants to browse and listen to music, maybe write an email, this is perfect, but for someone who wants to play a specific game or launch a program that's out of the normal, I don't see how that would work.

True. There needs to be a More -> button below the applications that'll show a normal Gnome menu.

Jimleko211
July 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
True. There needs to be a More -> button below the applications that'll show a normal Gnome menu.

Indeed. Or, maybe there could be a task, "Launch an application" that would bring up a browser of all your apps, to keep in line with the task based UI.

frup
July 13th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I prefer gnome-do.

I also prefer the moblin layout, that will hopefully go places.

Being open source, I think we need to stop thinking of things as individual apps, but more on the task they do. I'd hoped this is what gnome 3.0 would lean towards ever since those topaz ramblings. In my opinion Nautilus should be the central part of the desktop.

I want a desktop that can become a terminal, a list of my online buddies/contacts, a full on network monitor and many other things.

I also want stability. Ubuntu locks up enough as it is.

But at the end of the day, anything that improves free software is awesome :D

twright
July 13th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I agree that the current gnome-shell UI is far from usable but the promise is there and hopefully we can see some marked improvements as it develops.

juancarlospaco
July 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Full of Features and light weight? I didn't think that was possible..

WRONG!

:p

hanzomon4
July 13th, 2009, 04:41 AM
i prefer gnome-do.

I also prefer the moblin layout, that will hopefully go places.

Being open source, i think we need to stop thinking of things as individual apps, but more on the task they do. I'd hoped this is what gnome 3.0 would lean towards ever since those topaz ramblings. In my opinion nautilus should be the central part of the desktop.

I want a desktop that can become a terminal, a list of my online buddies/contacts, a full on network monitor and many other things.

I also want stability. Ubuntu locks up enough as it is.

But at the end of the day, anything that improves free software is awesome :d

+1