PDA

View Full Version : May I borrow some of your Wisdom?!

Blacklightbulb
July 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Quick Question: Trying to help my brother.

So he's about to choose a course at Uni but he has this dilemma.

He's into the usual Maths/Physics/Computer/Astronomy class

and he was leaning towards a research job in Computer or Physics but although he's a formidable problem solver (quite a good programmer too) he hates doing the after job, filing reports, documentation and such he's also afraid of getting bored.

So, is there any job in the Maths/Physics/Computer/Astronomy class that doesn't end up into a routine and get him bored. He's almost hyperactive and would get bored easily. Also any outdoor jobs that can apply.

Thanks for your time.
:p

Dimitriid
July 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't respect a physicist or a programmer who doesn't bothers with that after work. He should pursue either career path as he see's fit but start getting used to provide a minimal of feedback for other people to work with.

Gizenshya
July 12th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I was in much the same pickle when I first started working on my BS. Well, feelings-wise. I was in engineering at first. I liked it, but was worried about being bored. I decided it was not for me.

I tried a few different things, eventually deciding on Management as a major with a law minor. There are several reasons, but mostly I get to problem-solve with different problems often, and there is a lot of interaction. I went from the typical introverted engineering student to very extroverted over the course of my time at the university. Another reason I chose that major is because my university is an AACSB accredited university. Employers love that, and it just made my choice that much easier.

But basically, it kept the things I liked about engineering, and added in variety and people.

There are going to be lots of reports and presentations, though. So I don't know if that will help your friend...

But there really isn't much that doesn't involve extensive paperwork (well, at least not professional jobs).

So, picking something you want to do is the most important thing. Nobody likes writing papers, but everyone has to do it. My best advice for him in that regard is to work at it until he is good. It will pay off in the future, and doing stuff that you're good at makes it more palatable. If he works at it he'll be able to put out professional work very quickly (and get it out of the way).

Blacklightbulb
July 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I was in much the same pickle when I first started working on my BS. Well, feelings-wise. I was in engineering at first. I liked it, but was worried about being bored. I decided it was not for me.

I tried a few different things, eventually deciding on Management as a major with a law minor. There are several reasons, but mostly I get to problem-solve with different problems often, and there is a lot of interaction. I went from the typical introverted engineering student to very extroverted over the course of my time at the university. Another reason I chose that major is because my university is an AACSB accredited university. Employers love that, and it just made my choice that much easier.

But basically, it kept the things I liked about engineering, and added in variety and people.

There are going to be lots of reports and presentations, though. So I don't know if that will help your friend...

But there really isn't much that doesn't involve extensive paperwork (well, at least not professional jobs).

So, picking something you want to do is the most important thing. Nobody likes writing papers, but everyone has to do it. My best advice for him in that regard is to work at it until he is good. It will pay off in the future, and doing stuff that you're good at makes it more palatable. If he works at it he'll be able to put out professional work very quickly (and get it out of the way).

Thanks very much. My brother tends to 'change with the mood' so to speak. :lolflag: