PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Limewire or equivalent?

hcs7dap
July 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have Intrepid and am very new to Ubuntu but am impressed that starting from cold I can be browsing in less than 2 mins, whereas it was >10 with Windoze.

Anyway... just wondered if someone could point me towards a file sharing application like Limewire.

I would be grateful if you could be very step-by-step with your instructions. Am a complete beginer.

Cheers, Dave

jmszr
July 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Dave,

This would be worth checking out: http://www.getdeb.net/search.php?keywords=frostwire

rockerphil
July 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
i personally use FrostWire, it's completely free and open source and comes in a .deb so that it's compatible with Ubuntu. hope this helps,

Phil

nhasian
July 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
well if you like Limewire, they do have a linux version:

http://www.limewire.com/download/?os=linux

earthpigg
July 12th, 2009, 08:46 PM
well if you like Limewire, they do have a linux version:

http://www.limewire.com/download/?os=linux

frostwire > limewire

open source, and they wont bug you to purchase anything :P

servicetech
July 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Consider using torrents instead, more files/faster speeds. Transmission is already part of ubuntu and has an easy learning curve. Piratebay is a popular site for finding the torrent files.

camaron1
July 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
DC++ is really worth looking at. There are public hubs and private ones with their specific rules to gain access. I depends what you are looking for I guess.

And always torrents, there are many clients.

I don't personally like gnutella, which might be the closest to what you say

lovinglinux
July 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I believe BitTorrent is safer than Limewire (Gnutella), since there is no access to any of your folders. You just share files.

Try Deluge

nynoah
July 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I find Ktorrent to be the best torrent program. Also other than thepiratebay there is also demonoid . I personally don't like frost wire or any form of Limewire. That stuff is just old hat.

lovinglinux
July 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
that stuff is just old hat.

+1

gamerchick02
July 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I second Transmission if you're in Gnome.

Amy

MasterNetra
July 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Forget Transmission, Deluge is #1, and lets you encrypt outgoing data and incoming. Deluge + Piratebay/Demoniod = awesome. ^.^ Not that I get pirated stuff or anything, but helps to know incase I need somethin. >.> <.<

jerome1232
July 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Forget Transmission, Deluge is #1, and lets you encrypt outgoing data and incoming. Deluge + Piratebay/Demoniod = awesome. ^.^ Not that I get pirated stuff or anything, but helps to know incase I need somethin. >.> <.<

So does transmission. Transmission is great imho, simple and has all the necesary things for the average torrenter.

I personally use Vuze for the built in capability to search multiple popular torrent search engines.

Deluge is much more lightweight than Vuze and offers a great degree of control over your torrents. Which is why so many people love it.

I personally hate when people say x is better than y because it truly boils down to personal prefrences.

theozzlives
July 13th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Consider using torrents instead, more files/faster speeds. Transmission is already part of ubuntu and has an easy learning curve. Piratebay is a popular site for finding the torrent files.

How long is this one gonna take to close, you can't talk about pirating here.

nynoah
July 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Pirate bay carries all types of torrents. They have torrents for Ubuntu. I am assuming we are all talking about torrenting open source stuff from there.

jerome1232
July 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
How long is this one gonna take to close, you can't talk about pirating here.

Why does everyone just assume p2p file sharing = illegal software pirating /sigh.

hcs7dap
July 13th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks to all posters... I have lots to learn! I will try to discover more about torrents - meanwhile will try Frostwire

servicetech
July 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Torrenting Ubuntu is faster than downloading it straight from the server. Besides it saves server bandwidth. Ubuntu even lists the torrent files on it's website.