PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] cluster computer

powie
July 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
i have a decent computer but it is starting to become outdated, also my parents company has a couple of (2) older computers and a really old server they can let me have. is there any way i could make these computers work together and act as one computer? and if so, would the addition of the other computers improve my current computer enough to make a difference?

LewRockwell
July 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
more information is in order

shifty_powers
July 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
realistically? no.

DGortze380
July 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
i have a decent computer but it is starting to become outdated, also my parents company has a couple of (2) older computers and a really old server they can let me have. is there any way i could make these computers work together and act as one computer? and if so, would the addition of the other computers improve my current computer enough to make a difference?

Lets start with what you need to improve... what are you having issues with. 'outdated' doesn't say much and can't be solved by adding more 'outdated' hardware.

powie
July 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
well the only information i have for the other computers is that one has a 1.2 ghz processor and the second has a .55 ghz, the server im not sure about but its processor is no greater than 1.2 ghz also. my current computer has a 2.2 ghz processor.
i am currently trying to learn and use some 3d modeling software and it runs really slowly, i have 4gb of ram so i don't think that is the problem. that and i can't afford to get a more powerful gpu. that is why i am hoping that the free computers might help

LewRockwell
July 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
well the only information i have for the other computers is that one has a 1.2 ghz processor and the second has a .55 ghz, the server im not sure about but its processor is no greater than 1.2 ghz also. my current computer has a 2.2 ghz processor.
i am currently trying to learn and use some 3d modeling software and it runs really slowly, i have 4gb of ram so i don't think that is the problem. that and i can't afford to get a more powerful gpu. that is why i am hoping that the free computers might help

feel free to give me all your "outdated" 2.2GHz machines with 4GB of ram...

I'll even pay for domestic shipping...

surely it'll be better than my 1996 Gateway 2000 Solo...

DGortze380
July 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM

I've got to be honest with you, with modeling software, you're going to need at least a dual core @ 2.2 Ghz+ and an 8800GT or better ... even if we could figure a way to cluster these, I doubt it's going to help you in any meaningful way.